• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I really Hate the School District.

SignManiac

I guess you would have felt silly if you were standing there with a baseball bat in hand when he came through the door :)

Graphics2u

Glad you got it settled. I can't imagine a School; district hadling the situation that way, so I would tend to believe them on the mix up. Just to be safe I'd keep doing what you're doing in keeping good records.

showcase 66

I guess you would have felt silly if you were standing there with a baseball bat in hand when he came through the door :)

Ya that would have been interesting.

Glad you got it settled. I can't imagine a School; district hadling the situation that way, so I would tend to believe them on the mix up. Just to be safe I'd keep doing what you're doing in keeping good records.

I usually keep everything. Notes I write down no matter what it is on. Most people may have a file of 3-5 papers for a simple project and I will have about 25-30 pieces in there. Drives my wife nuts when she is looking for something but 99% of the time when I have had an issue with something like a note written on the side of a proof by the client, I have it in the file. She gets mad when I have lunch meetings and I have napkins with a bunch of notes from a client on there.

Also one thing my lawyer reminded me was if you have a problem when it comes to a payment. Never cash/deposit a check given. You are basically accepting whatever they sent with the letter as acceptable and you are agreeing with the payment received.

Just thought I would pass that along.

300mphGraphics

I'd disagree with your lawyer on that. A check in any amount can be applied towards the balance due. Send customer a statement with payments made and balance due.

deadman

Glad it worked out! I was going to ask if they offered to return the merchandise that was supposedly so poorly done

ddarlak

Go Bills!

naaaa, woulda felt like he saw you coming and coughed up the check..... never even would have known that you were gonna get it anyway.....

shoulda taken the bat anyhow...

ucmj22

I'd disagree with your lawyer on that. A check in any amount can be applied towards the balance due. Send customer a statement with payments made and balance due.

it gets hairy when the check is accompanied by a letter stating that it is a payment that resolves the balance. I'd side with the lawyer in this case. If it was just a check, I would say otherwise.

showcase 66

If they just sent a check with no letter then you can deposit it. If there is a letter stating that they are only sending this amount because of specific reasons and you then deposit the money, you are agreeing with the letter that this payment is met.

He was telling me about a group of lawyers purchased a couple million dollar home together in the late 90's. After 2 years in the mortgage, they would call up talk to someone there, get there info about who they were and then they sent there monthly mortgage payment. Instead of the $6000+ payment they sent only $100 with a letter stating here is our monthly payment of 100 to cover our full monthly payment we discussed. The mortgage company would process the payment cash the check. In 3 months they were notified of foreclosure proceedings and the lawyers took it to court. Judge ruled in favor of the lawyers because with the note stating that the $100 payment covered the monthly mortgage and the mortgage company depositing the money, they were excepting the terms of the agreement in the letter.