• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I received I small picture I have to scale a lot...

Zazzess

I received an order of reproducing a sign that had been made by another shop. The customers chose our shop to do corrections and to scale their sign.

Is that possible to turn a 3x4'' picture to be a 41x26'' picture by doing less damage ??

I asked for a bigger picture but the customer don't have it telling me that it was the other shops.

What to do :help

GoodPeopleFlags

Sounds to me like the customer doesn't own the picture so you should tell them you can't use it. Picture of what? Is it something you could find a similar image of on Dreamstime or Istock and buy the rights to use it?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Your best approach is to recreate the layout, if possible, in your own software. Your next best approach is to take a new picture of the sign at high resolution from as straight on as possible and then correct it as much as possible in Photoshop.

In either case, you should be paid for this labor by the client.

You should also keep in mind that there may be copyright infringement issues with reproducing the first sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might want to consider being up front with this client and tell them you're being put in a position where you might be doing something illegal.

Perhaps they came to you because the other shop created the original and they want you to sidestep and do some corrections for no extra charge.

If this client truly owns the photo, they should have no trouble in obtaining the original artwork at a size you can manage.

phototec

What pixel size do I need it to be ?

How to calculate ??

If you are taking about a digitally printed sign, I would have the 41"x26'' photo at 100 ppi, (72 ppi min.).

If you are planning on using a 3"x4" image, it needs to be at least 750 dpi so when enlarged to 41" x 26", you will still have a printed size of 72 ppi.

(My scanner will scan at 1200 ppi)

:thumb:

Zazzess

If you are taking about a digitally printed sign, I would have the 41"x26'' photo at 100 ppi, (72 ppi min.).

If you are planning on using a 3"x4" image, it needs to be at least 750 dpi so when enlarged to 41" x 26", you will still have a printed size of 72 ppi.

(My scanner will scan at 1200 ppi)

:thumb:

I have a 300 dpi : 1200 p x 797 p

Zazzess

It is the picture of the customers' shop

It is a picture of the customers' shop ...

I might find another one... right...

And redo the design by myself right ...

if its a picture of the customers shop and they are near you, you can go out and take a good high quality picture yourself, or.........maybe even have the customer go outside and take a picture of the shop and sent it you via email.
either way, you will get much better results if you have a good quality picture in the first place instead of trying to upscale a lesser quality picture.

MachServTech

Well you are starting out by asking the right questions. The best thing to do is always be truthful with the customer.

I try to print at no less than 150 ppi. Sometimes I come down to 72 ppi at full size. Notice I said "PPI" which is pixels per inch.

Zazzess

I'm mixed up !

I don't know if I might leave, be ashamed and hide all the rest of my life ...
or keep asking you to teach me my job :covereyes:

Whats the difference between dpi and ppi ?? I thought it was the same :doh:

:help

Zazzess

Thanks god you are there !

Thanks for helping me !

I really appreciate ! I have a lot to learn !

I didn't attend school to do that exact job...
(I learned how to work my art for video games and cinema)

A friend of I wanted me to work for him telling me he would pay for I to learn.

I really love my job and I think its a blessing...

Still... I need you guys !

:U Rock:
progress.gif

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I don't know if I might leave, be ashamed and hide all the rest of my life ...
or keep asking you to teach me my job :covereyes:

Whats the difference between dpi and ppi ?? I thought it was the same :doh:

:help

Give no thought to leaving.

Technically PPI is the pixels per inch of an original digital image. DPI is dots per inch that the image is being printed at ... often called print resolution. DPI is the interpolated image after being processed through RIP software.

So, for example, you might have a 3" x 4" image at 300 PPI. This can be restated to avoid confusion as 900 x 1200 pixels in size. Doing it this way avoids all confusion because the pixel dimensions of an image are absolute.

Many people use the term DPI to cover all situations including where PPI is actually the correct term.