• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion I think a light bulb just went off today................................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, for quite some time, many people have been saying how boring and stupid the threads and posts have been getting in this place. So many font requests, how to do some of the most basic functions, how to find so many fundamental things, just so many really dumb questions. Seeing today, that the requirements have changed has now explained quite a bit..... to me, anyway. You need absolutely no skills, no experience, no equipment, no nothing to get in here. I know it was different, but I don't know when it changed. I helped to write the original requirements, so I know it was changed. Fred even ran all the wording and questions past his attorneys back like 15 years ago, to make sure we had it right. That became the law of the land and was defended anytime it came up for debate.

It's a shame, but we have no idea who we're rubbing elbows with anymore. I could care less if it's some other sign guy, some stay at home dad or some lady who wants to burn the midnight candle, but to outright say, you have no interest in this filed, to say you just wanna do it for yourself and cop an attitude because you're asking the dumbest questions and wasting peoples' time because YOU think you deserve it, is just too much.

I really like this industry and it's been a part of me for close to 60 years, but to waste time like this, just doesn't make any sense. Now, I see why so many others have left. Not leaving myself, but posting is gonna be monitored much more closely.

Thanks for the ride...............................

Johnny Best

Same thing happens at the Yacht Clubs, Countries Clubs, no more private places, including bathrooms anymore.
Sorry Gino, that lightbulb that you mentioned going off is now an LED.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
"Welcome" was a nice way to greet a newcomer..... you just didn't think so. At least during your watch, they were all signs people or they got the boot.

ikarasu

Opening it up to more people = more visitors, which means more ad revenue.

It's a shame because quality of the posts go down ... Unfortunately with a niche forum like this, not much you can do besides ads to make money.

Merchant memberships are good, premium subscribers are good... But there's a cap on those...

As a user... I'd much rather it be limited to those in the industry, posts would be of higher quality (well, I'm sure stupid shit would still get posted... Just not as much!), And there would be less garbage to wade through.

The new owner is in it to make money though, not because signs is his passion (like it was Fred's) at least, that's the way it feels to me.. so I understand the changes... As much as we hate it, I'm sure it's bringing him more money than it was before.

Imo, that's a bandaid way to make money though... As you've pointed out, a lot of regulars have either left, or barelly check anymore. I see posts from half a dozen regular people now.... Then the rest is garbage, or close to it. So on the long run... I feel like it's making the site a shell of what it once was, and the old timers will barelly use it... And the only new people it'll attract is ones trying to fix their 10 year old printer, because none of the new posts will have any substance to them aside from how do I print on Coro.... All the good quality stuff will become outdated eventually.

rjssigns

Like I said in a previous post, everyone wants the easy "fix". Seems no one wants to learn anything anymore. And the old: "Ya gotta start somewhere" has been beat to death.
"Ya gotta start somewhere" now means I'm too lazy to do a simple web search for what I need, or try to figure out the most basic of procedures myself.

It ain't all bad though. All the folks that don't know how or won't do simple things have created a revenue stream for those of us who can.;)

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Hmmmmm.....when a light bulb goes off, doesn't that insinuate darkness? Asking for a friend.

JB

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I came here because I walked into this business with little knowledge. I knew If I bought real equipment and learned how to use it then I could make a go of it. I came from the teaching world so I am an expert at learning things.
I LIKE being in an exclusive group. I LIKE how I can let my hair down and be unapologetically me with my minimal knowledge because I'm willing to learn more. I DON'T want regular customers in here because we are talking about industry standards and wholesalers and the going rates for certain areas. I LIKE looking at why graphics fail or what works for others. I LIKE having people push new tools, etc. I was actually jazzed about the yard art thinking it was someone who does it for a living. I wanted to get some tips and hints. You just never know what's going to sell. BUT when a hobbyist comes in and says, 'oh I can do that I just need to know how." I would think it's OK to chit chat with a sign shop owner about it, but a whole forum devoted to pricing, sizing, graphics tricks and tips. I suddenly feel like they are reading our dirty secrets. and we aren't that dirty. The public education system is dirty. They cook the books better than enron did.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I wanna help the beginners, the future sign people, but the people who will honestly go back and try these things and report back with their findings, like a real student. Not some joker girl or guy alike who just wants a quick fix, like rj says. People who are willing to get their hands dirty and I mean dirty. That's the future, not some wannabee. If I'm hurting peoples' feelings, it's only meant to hurt the ones who take it the wrong way. The others, know what I'm talking about.

modernimagesigns

I've been a member on her since 2013, in the sign industry since 1987 (my profile still says I am a new member, lol). I don't post very much at all. Part of the reason is I am not anywhere close to a guru, so I don't feel I may not have the right answers, but at the same time, I don't post questions about fonts, or any other simple questions, just so I don't sound like I don't know the business. Kinda double-edged sword. Like the old saying "Better to keep your mouth shut and be considered a fool, than open it and remove all doubt." I do come on frequently and look at tips, tricks, techniques, suggestions, fonts, etc. I feel this page is a good learning tool, an excellent refresher, and interesting read, sometimes. But I agree that there are more and more "Criket" sign professionals out in the field, and on here, than ever before. One of my specialties is motorsports. I know many sign people who won't touch them, I built my business by hand lettering them all those years ago. I also raced for many years. I have built clientele from the sponsors on the cars and fans in the stands. Now, people are buying sign cutters at Walmart and are always calling me for fonts or scraps of vinyl. Years ago, you had to have skills to be a signman (or woman). Now, a computer, some photoshop knowledge and a couple of hundred bucks, and your'e a sign company! Now that I have typed a small book, I forgot my point! Oh well, time to get back to work.

mim

0_o
A lot of people who are "crafty" have cricuts and whatnot and make their own stuff these days.
I see what you mean about keeping it a professionals-only place after reading some of these posts, good points. I'm new to the industry and a lot of my friends ask me about what I do.. and for leftover vinyl scraps.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's a lot of home builders out there, that have their own screw driver, but they know they need another tool or two. They don't necessarily need to know how to use it, but at least have it. They'll go on house 101 and ask questions. They'll build bird houses, graduate to dog houses and then maybe out houses. Yep, that's the ticket.................. They'll be great !!!

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
A lot of people who are "crafty" have cricuts and whatnot and make their own stuff these days.
I see what you mean about keeping it a professionals-only place after reading some of these posts, good points. I'm new to the industry and a lot of my friends ask me about what I do.. and for leftover vinyl scraps.
I tell people what I do and the first thing they ask is if I will wrap their truck in Camo. I say no before they finish asking.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I tell people what I do and the first thing they ask is if I will wrap their truck in Camo. I say no before they finish asking.
My daughter tells me that she will be talking to friends and it will come up that i own a sign shop/wrap shop. They immediately say, "why didn't i know this? why isn't your car wrapped?" I have learned that I don't like wrapping friends vehicles. Business and friends don't mix well.

mim

0_o

I've had two people now sincerely ask if I could wrap their car in anime characters, also a fast no from me

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That makes no sense? You tell people you sit around and watch TV all day and then they ask you to wrap their truck in camo?