• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Opinion I think a light bulb just went off today................................................

gnubler

We could have a section where all the beginner questions go.. and we can choose to turn it off from view. Call it "the Gabagoo section."
There already is a Newbie forum and I see you guys participating in it. What's the point of having an open community if all the seasoned signmakers hang out together and ignore those that are just starting out? To brag about your high dollar jobs to one another? It would get old and nobody to make fun of.

Gino - you're 60 years in and have seen it all...why are you even still here on the forum? A lot of your threads are just idle chit chat. I lost my job and housing due to the Covid shutdown and the sign business fell into my lap, so my training is S101/Google and just winging it. I'm well aware most of my questions have sounded utterly moronic to the pros, but I've learned a TON from this forum. Don't always have the time or inclination to report back the results. If there are new member posts that are truly stupid or blatantly lazy, don't even answer them or have a moderator delete them.

I agree about the font ID requests, they need to stop. Quit answering them. There's entire websites devoted to font ID, I use them occasionally.

PatriotWorks

Light Bulb going off?
Was hoping something important like the death of Roe Vs Wade was the topic...Not the creation of yet another echo chamber.

SignosaurusRex

Gino - you're 60 years in and have seen it all...why are you even still here on the forum? A lot of your threads are just idle chit chat. I lost my job and housing due to the Covid shutdown and the sign business fell into my lap, so my training is S101/Google and just winging it. I'm well aware most of my questions have sounded utterly moronic to the pros, but I've learned a TON from this forum. Don't always have the time or inclination to report back the results. If there are new member posts that are truly stupid or blatantly lazy, don't even answer them or have a moderator delete them.

I agree about the font ID requests, they need to stop. Quit answering them. There's entire websites devoted to font ID, I use them occasionally.
Hold on there a minute charger. Not all Font I.D. sights are capable of producing acceptable results. There can be many variables involved in correct identification and sometimes the correct answer can only come from an experienced eye. The font I.D. category is a very important educational section on this forum. Don't get me started on letter styles vs. typefaces vs. fonts and the need for ones journey to success in this trade include an understanding and knowledge thereof.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The one problem I see with the hobby posts is it takes away from the posts that have $$$ riding on them. Plenty of people are posting real-time problems that are costing them money. If it gets goobered up with too many hobby posts then it takes away from the real sign questions.

I'm OK with hobby questions as long as they are labeled as such. If I have time then I would read them or at night, weekends but during the day I would probably prefer to help a fellow signmaker.

Hobbys are for nights and weekends and I have plenty of hobby sites I visit but it's mostly hobby people, which is nice. There's nothing like some pro coming in playing show off and telling us how dumb we are.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
There already is a Newbie forum and I see you guys participating in it. What's the point of having an open community if all the seasoned signmakers hang out together and ignore those that are just starting out? To brag about your high dollar jobs to one another? It would get old and nobody to make fun of.

I didn't real mean it that way... I was just trying to think of a way to throw in a Gabagoo jab.

There a people that own large sign shops that know less than the part time hobbyist here posting beginner questions.

ikarasu

I don't mind hobbyists. I also don't mind the rich folk who buy a business then need to learn how to run it. I think it's more about eticate than anything.

The workers / sign shop owners want to learn, they want to find out how to do something properly and do it well. They will research, then They'll ask questions - they put effort into it, rather than just ask to be hand fed. At least... That's what the majority do.

The hobbyists, they want to make a wooden sign...rather than search the forum that already has a dozen posts on what paint people use, they just ask why their shitty wood isn't bonding to the paint they bought at home Depot. They don't care how it's made or how to do it properly... They want to get their project done and move on.

They contribute nothing to the site content wise, they don't ever stick around and post their experiences after the project is done... They just take and move on.

Let's take the plywood post from this morning... Which I think is why the thread got started. A quick google search ...

I see 3 dozen posts about how to paint and prep plywood properly.. but finding the answer isnt worth a google search I guess!

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Yeah, you're right gnubbins. I'll stop helping as you seem to now know it all. You, hobbytown, patriot and some others. I think the people here who still have some knowledge should bow out and let you new guys answer all the questions with your newfound infinite wisdom.

I wonder what would happen if all the old-timers and even some of the more knowledgeable younger members would stop contributing for a week ??

You sure come up with some great ideas. Let's see how it works for the membership. :thumb:

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..

I whole heartedly disagree with you. You have professionals the The Vector Doctor even asking what font something is on occasion. There are SOOO many nuances to fonts that sometimes you can get close, but not perfect, and you need perfect. Most of the font ID sights don't even produce 100% results.

The only thing I agree with would be the amount of double posts that go on in there, and when you can tell someone didn't even remotely try, like when a font is Arial or Calibri or something stupid easy.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I don't mind the font posts, sometimes I just scroll past if I'm in hurry. I rarely ask for font help but sometimes when they are a combination font or a customized font it's something only the guys who have been around a while know. I'm super guilty of mixing fonts especially cursive fonts. Many times I use the body of one font but I don't like the capital letter so I use another font. A guy like Fred might be the only guy to pick up on that and the font finders won't be able to catch it either. OR when a regular font has been customized the font finder can't find them but Fred or some others see it immediately.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
like when a font is Arial or Calibri or something stupid easy.
The easy ones throw me for a loop sometimes too. I rarely have luck with WTF. It was easier when you had a certain number of fonts and the customer picked on of those. Now there are a million of them and then a million variations then add to it the free copy cat fonts that aren't exact matches and it can be difficult to figure out.

De.signs Nanaimo

If you guys feel like your time is being taking advantage of by all the newbies, then don't spend as much time on this forum, it seems like a simple fix to me. When someone hands out stuff for free, a line up will eventually form, just stop handing stuff out! Go ride a bike, or walk on the beach, or here's a cool idea, learn a new skill yourself so you can remember what it's like to struggle a bit.