• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I know the answer...

johnnywyoming

but, would like confirmation. I have been doing vinyl lettering for a number of years for our museum exhibits. Most of it is text for exhibit titles and text for introductory panels. Usually the non-title text is Times Roman, 1", bold. Lately I have had a huge problem getting the letters to come up off of the substrate, I use R 4075 tape with Universal Products vinyl. No matter how hard or long I squeegee the tape the letters will not come up without persuading them with an Xacto knife. I am bending the tape over at a sharp angle when pulling so I think I do that correctly. I read on a manufacturer's website that if you cut into the substrate then the glue can get into the cut and make it difficult to lift the letters. However, I looked at the substrate with a magnifying glass and there is no evidence of the substrate being scored. Searching this forum (which I am ecstatic about finding) I think my answer is that the vinyl is too old... probably five - six years. I do not know what brand it is other than I bought it from Universal as I am at home an the vinyl is at work. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks...

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
Your vinyl is way too old. It will do just what it's doing when it get's to be that old

Sign Works

What your refering to as the substrate is actually called the "Release Liner" also refered to as backing paper or carrier but not substrate. A substrate is what you apply your vinyl/graphics too.

Universal Products is a converter of Avery vinyl.

And yes, the vinyl is sticking to the release liner because it is past it's shelf life, generally about 2 years.

johnnywyoming

So, is it ok to ask for recommendations of types of good vinyl that you would use in my case? I almost always apply to a latex painted plywood , or plexiglas, glass substrate.

Techman

I have vinyl rolls here over 6 yrs old an have never observed that kind of sticking to a liner.
I have a roll of reflective that is at least 8 yrs old and it acts just it was when new. I just used some of it for a project.

I have observed it sticking and releasing badly when the cutter blade is dull. I would suspect that long before I would suspect the vinyl getting old. The fact that there is no mark on the liner would tell me the vinyl is not being cut thru.
My next question is how does it weed? Do the letters stay when removing the weeds? Do the weeds come right up with little effort?

njshorts

So, is it ok to ask for recommendations of types of good vinyl that you would use in my case? I almost always apply to a latex painted plywood , or plexiglas, glass substrate.

scoop up samples from a few manufacturers.

if it were me, I'd just use Oracal 651. Inexpensive, easy to work with, great product.

edit- also, buy smaller rolls. don't let it sit around very long. I've got 6 year old 651 that works well with a bit of finesse, but it's always best to use the freshest vinyl you can get your hands on.

johnnywyoming

Blade is fairly new. Weeding goes pretty good. Might have a G come up occasionally but for the most part the surrounding vinyl comes up easily and I pick the inner stuff with a tweezers and it comes out fine.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Blade is fairly new. Weeding goes pretty good. Might have a G come up occasionally but for the most part the surrounding vinyl comes up easily and I pick the inner stuff with a tweezers and it comes out fine.

If you even think your blade is dull, change it. If you want to know if it's dull pull it out of the holder and look at it with a loupe. If the tip of the blade is rounded or chipped in the slightest, it's time to change blades. A sharp blade comes to a point. Anything less than a perfect point is unacceptable. Be it 5 minutes or 5 years old. Blades are consumables, not treasures.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I've run into this problem with 3Ms' 7725 with the clear plastic liner.
It gets a few years old and it will not come off the backing without a lot of work.
It has nothing to do with the condition of the blade.
The problem shows easily as the vinyl is hard to pull away from the liner before it is cut.

On occasion when I needed something off an older roll (usually an odd color that I can't get a few yards of) before plotting I take the uncut roll and peel the sheet back the distance I need for the cut and then reset it back on the liner.
Once this is done the r-tape will pick up the cut graphics without problems.

wayne k
guam usa

striper14

i always thought you needed to see a faint outline on the liner. Just up the pressure a bit & see if that helps. Universal is Avery with a different adhesive. I buy some roll striping of theirs & its never been a problem. some of the striping would be 8-10 years old, stored in the back of a van:Big Laugh

johnnywyoming

Just got off of the phone with my distributor and found out that they carry Oracal. They stock the 651 as advised here and they also have a brand called FDC. Oddly enough, they told me that they are no longer going to stock the Avery brand. Thanks for all the help, this is a really good forum:U Rock: