• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I think I need new software but I have no idea - please help!

zguinness

Background: I have an APD Extreme plotter that I use to cut lettering for railcars. We've had an old program called DesignArt that we've used for years. The old computer that was running this software finally gave out and I'm having problems running it on a newer computer.

Does anyone know if I can run a different program (maybe CorelDraw) with this APD plotter? The computer I'd like to use is running Windows 7.

If I can, will it require anything special?

I just need help finding a suitable software program to use with my plotter. We aren't doing anything flashy... just cutting 1" to 9" letters for the most part.

Thanks in advance!

BranEnt

What level of DesignArt are you using? I run DesignArt 4.0 on Windows 7 with no problem. It is a great older program for cutting basic text fast.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Hopefully you don't need your old files...

Corel Draw (or Illustrator) is fine for designing, then you
might need a bridge program like Cocut (http://www.cocut.com)
just make sure they have your cutter driver.

zguinness

What level of DesignArt are you using? I run DesignArt 4.0 on Windows 7 with no problem. It is a great older program for cutting basic text fast.

I'm using 4.0 as well. I did a fresh install on the new computer. According to the instructions, the first time you open DA4.0 it should give you a popup window to type in the key but I'm not getting that.

What I'm getting instead is a popup that says "Check Security Key" (referring to the dongle that plugs into the back of the computer). For some reason the security key isn't being recognized by the new computer.

Rather than fight this thing I was going to try a new program but if you have any advice I'd love to hear it. There doesn't seem to be much info/support out there for DesignArt.

Jburns

If the new computer doesn't recognize the key- then you probably need a driver installed on the computer from the key manufacturer. - I would find the key manufacturer on google, and contact them to download.

zguinness

I started playing around with the port configuration settings and got it to recognize the security key. I'm back in business (for now)!

BranEnt

In addition to DesignArt I run Gerber Omega 4.0. It uses a USB dongle. So as I recall I had to go download a new Sentinel driver which allows both parallel and USB to be used for security keys. There is some messing with the configuration in the Sentinel settings. Hope that helps. Good luck

zguinness

There is some messing with the configuration in the Sentinel settings.

That's what I ended up figuring out. I had to modify the port configuration settings in Sentinel.:thumb:

I got the new computer up and running... then realized I didn't have any of my saved jobs. I found an old power supply in one of our many junk computers here at work and used that to power up the old computer. I was able to get all my DesignArt files moved over to my new computer.

I'm so glad this is over. :frustrated:

zguinness

cocut plugin with Corel draw. You will never be happier.
It plus in with several software packages.. you will have about 3 cutting softwares.
http://cocut.com/

I'll definitely keep this in mind if I have any more problems. I actually chatted w/ a rep from CorelDraw online earlier but he didn't seem very eager to sell me his product. He asked me a couple of questions about drivers and that was pretty much it.

BranEnt

That's what I ended up figuring out. I had to modify the port configuration settings in Sentinel.:thumb:

I got the new computer up and running... then realized I didn't have any of my saved jobs. I found an old power supply in one of our many junk computers here at work and used that to power up the old computer. I was able to get all my DesignArt files moved over to my new computer.

I'm so glad this is over. :frustrated:

You should plan on this being the last upgrade using DesignArt. I have been trying to back up my DesignArt jbs files (18 years worth) by exporting them out as EPS files. When they come into Corel they are not visible until you add hairline outline. Get in the habit and you will not be left hanging.