• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions I want to get into subliminal work

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Hey....subliminal messages might come in handy when it comes to marketing.

If you haven't already named your business, you could call it Subliminal Sublimation...and perhaps you could sub out the work if you think you'd be sub par at the outset. As you know, there's no substitution for good work. I'm going to subscribe to this thread to see if you get any substantial answers.

JB

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Hey....subliminal messages might come in handy when it comes to marketing.

If you haven't already named your business, you could call it Subliminal Sublimation...and perhaps you could sub out the work if you think you'd be sub par at the outset. As you know, there's no substitution for good work. I'm going to subscribe to this thread to see if you get any substantial answers.

JB
You mean there is no Substitution for Subliminal Sublimation? That's what Sally said standing by the Sea Shore.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
You mean there is no Substitution for Subliminal Sublimation? That's what Sally said standing by the Sea Shore.

Oh yeah? Well, here's what I heard about her:

Sally's sublittoral subterfuge subconsciously subjugates subordinate submersed submariners, subtly subdued into subservience. Her subjective subpoenas, subsidized by suborn subscribers, subvene submissiveness.

Anybody willing to go for 18?

JB

Last edited:

Bly

This could be a great way to promote our businesses..
maxresdefault.jpg

twmiller24

Maybe you could work with my new company, Invisible Signs. We are on the cutting edge. Our innovative product requires no local permits (yet, at least), will adapt to any environment, involves no waste, and is extremely versatile. Whether you need a monument sign, a vehicle wrap, or a banner for an event, our invisible sign technology will cost you far less than a comparable conventional sign.

WildWestDesigns

Epson makes a desktop printer that makes prints for that type of work.

If going with a desktop printer, I would go with Ricoh versus Epson. Wide format, that's something else.

To the OP:

Make sure you have enough work to support this and be willing to sell it hard. Maybe in some niches, may not have to do that as much as in others, but be prepared for that.

I would also suggest that you are able to sew shirts if going apparel and do the wide format. The biggest drawback is the light color 100% poly (unless you want to go with a grunge effect for a design, then use a blend of 50/50, or a blend in general, just be mindful about the blends and what is higher blend etc), especially with apparel. So if you are able to do wide format, sew the shirts together, that will put you ahead of most that do sublimation that stick with the small stuff. Now, one can print on black by putting bleach on an area to be printer to get rid of the black dye and then sublimate, that is an option, albeit not a too terribly popular one, at least not in my experience, but it is an option. I knew some that would embroider the area with white poly thread and then sublimate that.

While I liked the tech of sublimation, in some ways better then DTG, it isn't an easy area stay in and be profitable.

Gene@mpls

James- thanks for the links- I got A&E for a long time but they must have dropped me when they switched. And... you have way too much time.

Centerville- did we both attend a 3D sign course a few years ago in... Indiana? Dan Sawatsky [sp] was one of the instructors and we made a cement tree for a sign post when we got home.

netsol

Premium Subscriber
a friend in the business gifted us a not working epson 9880 converted to dye sub
we need to change the print head

not sure we want to do garments, but feather flags seems interesting

Msrae

Rae
Dye Sub is fun, but not great as far as profit unless you go with what WildWestDesigns mentioned. The smaller market is pretty flooded. That being said, we have had a lot of success with shorter run garment prints. You can find some pretty decent T-shirts from various places (I really like the quality of the Vapor T's). The print comes out vibrant and washes well. The mugs and smaller items can be tricky and there is a learning curve for your press and paper you use (just like profiles on the printer). You have to play with press time, heat, and print profiles until it comes out right. You will have some waste at the start.

That being said, it is inexpensive to get into if you wanted to play around with it. If you aren't sure and don't want to invest a ton, start with the simple Sawgrass desktop printer, a few mugs and some shirts and see what you think before you go getting the larger Epson printer, unless you are considering full garment and/or large flags, etc.

WildWestDesigns

You can find some pretty decent T-shirts from various places (I really like the quality of the Vapor T's). The print comes out vibrant and washes well.

Vapor T's are very good and they are designed in mind for sublimation. Last time that I messed with sublimation, they also had unstructured hats as well. They weren't bad, styling (although it has grown on me since) could use some work, but all in all, not a bad product for sublimation specifically. Moister wickering hats in general that are used more for embroidery can be very, very slippery in the press.