• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I was hired to wrap a vehicle and now they are mad at me... my blood pressure is through the roof!

WildWestDesigns

This is all coming from hindsight, so there is that. This was a big majority of what I did (why I mainly started just doing my own stock artwork to sell in the end). I find that it's worse when it's coming from a designer as most of them don't know production, but have too big of an ego to admit to that (and this would happen if the design itself is flawless, which adds to the frustration).

I would make sure to point out all the trouble spots before I would remotely think of touching anything for edit work (I would actually send pictures with edit marks to help illustrate areas that I would have concern with and why, especially since I like having things in writing (customers have gotten "fuzzy" memory later on so I would more than likely do that via email). They either sign off on the edits or OK it as it is. While may think it's being nice doing an edit here or there, being proactive, you know what they say about "good deeds"?

JamesLam

Probably 99% of the clients are OK with this, it just happens that this is your 1% guy. Too bad because now this affects the other 99% of your clients in the space of what you provide as service. Next time, send it back un-adjusted and suggest they have an issue.

For this one, make a phone call and get client on the phone.

garyroy

If the designer who originally made the artwork was getting paid for his time, make him earn it. Kick faulty artwork back to the designer as often as necessary.
Also, why should the printer do 'free' tweaks to the artwork. If the graphic designer got paid, so should we if changes are made to the artwork.
Especially on jobs that cost over $1000!

2B

this is 1 of the disclaimers we use for provided designs / layouts

XXXXX is NOT responsible for the imprint quality of customer-provided artwork and / or the design(s) layout.
XXXXX is not responsible for discrepancies / inconsistencies with customer-provided sizes / measurements.
As such, the individual providing the sizes must confirm the dimensions being provided will work / fit.
Any issues that arise from customer-provided measurements will be added to the final invoice

Unless requested BEFORE FILE SUBMITTAL, "Print Ready" files are moved directly into production, bypassing the "proofing" and/or "pre-flight" quality verification process.

Please request "proofing" and / or "pre-flighting" verification if you want / require evaluation BEFORE production starts.
***This will have an additional cost added to the final invoice***
***This will add 1 -2 working days to production***
***Production will NOT start until digital proof is approved***
*** Your ship/pick-up/delivery date may be subject to change if you request this service***
*** NOTE: Production and/or the shipment method may be upgraded to RUSH / PRIORITY SHIPPING, at your expense, to meet your in-hand date. ***

jcskikus

Owner, Designer & Installer
"It looked fine when I looked at it on my phone in the drive-thru"
You won't believe how many clients actually do that. If something looks off, I ask, "did you look at it and zoomed in on an actual computer?" More times than not, the answer is "no".

mobileartdept

MobileArtDept.com Your Image Our Priority!
I totally agree with ColorCrest do whatever it takes to Get-er-Done! but then add solid disclaimer to your printed proof... maybe its a fine printed paragraph but always point it out to the client as they sign it to approve, the "artwork submitted is your responsibility for alignment and graphic resolution" and in signing this you agree your files have been pre-checked and are approved to print - if we have to verify art location and file resolution it will be an additions $XX non refundable amount, as the work needed is just to verify your art departments art. -- Huge lesson learned i'd say - and yep, I keep my membership current with the University of HARD KNOX! :D

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yep, very informative, but it sounds like stealing. Not the kinda thing one wants to promote on a professional sign forum.

artofacks1

Here is an idea for you that might save you a headache and the client one.

How about you ask them for a high resolution file of the bottle with a cut line on it.

Print, laminate and kiss cut the bottle.

Than install the new hi res bottle print over the bad resolution bottle.

The vinyl is so thin that it will be fine.

Don’t argue if what was, start the convo with…

Hey let’s no t worry about how we got here, let’s work together to make the truck wrap look bad ass! And than propose the above solution.

• Agree
Reactions: a77

gnubler

You can actually tell them to save it as a PDF. You can download a simple PDF password removal tool and boom...you got their Vista print art in vector format.
Good to know, but that's way too hard for most of my customers. Most don't even know how to get an image off their phone...though sometimes I can't figure it out either.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Yep, very informative, but it sounds like stealing. Not the kinda thing one wants to promote on a professional sign forum.
yes, but it's essentially stealing from an AI. There's no talent behind those online designers. Another way to look at it, is the customer "created" the artwork. Software generates a file you can have and use. Your just stealing from software. It's a precursor to when Adobe will let us design all day, but to save and output a file will cost extra.

gnubler

Gino has a point. You sure you want to mess with an AI graphic artist? Here's an image of one of their online designers...

Terminator-2.jpg