• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ICC Profiling in Onyx tips

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Thank you.

I'm in the middle of it now and going to write a full step by step guide so anyone can follow.

So far, I am doing the following

* in the media manger (in onyx)
* Created media groups
* Vinyl
* Banner
* Backlit
* Static Film
* Canvas
* Photo
* Poster

What do you call your media groups?

* I then click create a new media profile
* Chose Onyx Workflow

What is the difference between Onyx workflow and Epson Workflow? They seem to have the same options

* Choose my group
* give it a media name
* Select the ink configuration to Epson Precision Dot

I download a couple of Epson Profiles and they seem to use CMYK so, should I use Epson Precision Dot or CMYK?

* Choose CMYK for process colours
* Choose adhesive vinyl
* ignore configure spot colours
* ignore the media sizes
* leave printer label set to K
* type a name for print mode, chose either the following
* fast
* Normal
* High Quality
Choose my resolution (I choose 720x720 for normal vehicle wrap graphics)
* print pattern: Contone (but theres no other option)
* Select the print mode settings: (I choose 4 pass for normal vehicle wrap graphics)
* media setting number: I click use panel setting
* everything left as default
* for scale the print width and height, i just leave as default and click save settings

This is as far as I have got so far, I also notice that 'Ink Restrictions' is greyed out

I posted a couple of questions in there but how is that so far and does anyone have any input?
I feel like I was having this same conversation on Facebook just the other day?

Mata

You most likely did.

I wasn't sure where to post and you were helpful on Facebook so thanks.

I've got a bit further along today and I've created a thread with a full guide

So I’ve been creating my own profiles since we switched to onyx with great results. I haven’t had any formal colour management training (and that’s now been postponed due to the worldwide shutdown).

BUT, this should give me a bit time to get all my media’s profiled and get a few different print speeds set up. (I’ve only done it with the main media’s we use so far and only one print mode on each media) - albeit with great results so far!

my only worry is just that I may be missing something. I read somewhere that you should recalibrate after setting the ink limits - is that nonsense?

The onyx profiling seems pretty straightforward, calibration, ink restrictions, ink limits then create an ICC profile but just wondering if there’s any resources/step by step guides any of you guys use? What to look out for etc.
Are you getting great results?

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I would not advocate “recalibrating” after setting ink limits, but I would run a grayscale liberalization test to validate that those ink limit choices resulted in a well balanced linearization grayscale which include smoothness of the grayscale transitions, end densities, and neutrality.
Try not to be confused by Onyx lingo.

"Recalibrating" is often used as the same "Re-linearization." It's the attempt to return the machine to the same state as to when the ICC profile was created. A well behaved Epson is very reliable as far as "drift." They don't drift. Onyx provides a "Recalibrate" button for routine use, none the less. Therefore, if one can actually return to the original calibrated state, the original ICC profile is still valid. So, one is to routinely recalibrate using just a few colors as opposed to re-profiling using many, many colors.

The basic steps are: Ink Restrictions, Linearization, Ink Limits, then ICC Profiling. The last step is the ICC profile which should provide the means and results for a color balanced grayscale if the "calibration" did not already. The G7 method offers the benefit of a transparent and ubiquitous calibration solution by using actual aim points for calibration gray balance.

To see what your setup of Onyx is currently calibrated to, simply use its feature to "Print a Test Image" during the setup steps. The typical file to use is the "Quality Evaluation" file. This print will show the current state of calibration because it's before the ICC profiling step. If the machine is not calibrated to gray, the ICC profile is working that much harder to do so if, in fact, it does result in gray.

Mata

SignMeUpGraphics You mentioned 80% is the sweet spot, do you change that under Basic Print Mode Settings > Define the printer specific settings for this print mode > Mode Options > Ink Density Factor

Then lock all values together and pick 80%? I can't see anywhere else you can change it so I wanted to be sure.

On another note, what does the Media setting number do? Shall I leave it on 'Use panel setting' or should I change it to media 1, 2 3 etc?

I created another profile yesterday using the onyx workflow and I used Argyll CMS this time around (I was told this is actually better than i1Profiler) but as you'll see in the image, the light source in the wine and cheese image is brown, but then the ink was set to 100% and not 80% as mentioned above.

Also, do you limit the ink in i1Profiler or leave it at 400%?

I also take it that you don't touch the linearization part in i1profiler

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_102152.jpg
    IMG_20201020_102152.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 214

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
SignMeUpGraphics You mentioned 80% is the sweet spot, do you change that under Basic Print Mode Settings > Define the printer specific settings for this print mode > Mode Options > Ink Density Factor

Then lock all values together and pick 80%? I can't see anywhere else you can change it so I wanted to be sure.

On another note, what does the Media setting number do? Shall I leave it on 'Use panel setting' or should I change it to media 1, 2 3 etc?

I created another profile yesterday using the onyx workflow and I used Argyll CMS this time around (I was told this is actually better than i1Profiler) but as you'll see in the image, the light source in the wine and cheese image is brown, but then the ink was set to 100% and not 80% as mentioned above.

i dont know which image is which, but left looks more accurate (in the reds especially)

I use Argyll CMS for monitor profiling, i like it better than i1 profiler.
i1 profiler will do a fine job for printer profiles though. it's a good "all in 1" software for profiling imo. from there either you love it, or spend thousands on better, more specific software.

I can't really answer the ink limits on the epson. SignMeUpGraphics will have your answer.

If you have time though, just experiment and see results. just set up a test media profile and test different settings. take notes etc. Then you end up making presents.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member

Yes, this is exactly correct regarding ink density.

We leave Media Setting Number to "Use Panel Setting".

Leave ink limits at 400% in i1Profiler and don't linearize. This is done internally in the printer when you use Epson workflow.