Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ICC Profiling in Onyx tips

Discussion in 'RIP Software & Color Management' started by iPrintStuff, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    I feel like I was having this same conversation on Facebook just the other day?

2. Mata

Mata Member

Feb 26, 2018
    London, England
    You most likely did.

I wasn't sure where to post and you were helpful on Facebook so thanks.

I've got a bit further along today and I've created a thread with a full guide

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  3. VisualArtsImaging

VisualArtsImaging Premium Subscriber

Nov 24, 2016
    Palm Springs, CA
    Are you getting great results?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 11:19 PM
  4. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Try not to be confused by Onyx lingo.

"Recalibrating" is often used as the same "Re-linearization." It's the attempt to return the machine to the same state as to when the ICC profile was created. A well behaved Epson is very reliable as far as "drift." They don't drift. Onyx provides a "Recalibrate" button for routine use, none the less. Therefore, if one can actually return to the original calibrated state, the original ICC profile is still valid. So, one is to routinely recalibrate using just a few colors as opposed to re-profiling using many, many colors.

The basic steps are: Ink Restrictions, Linearization, Ink Limits, then ICC Profiling. The last step is the ICC profile which should provide the means and results for a color balanced grayscale if the "calibration" did not already. The G7 method offers the benefit of a transparent and ubiquitous calibration solution by using actual aim points for calibration gray balance.

To see what your setup of Onyx is currently calibrated to, simply use its feature to "Print a Test Image" during the setup steps. The typical file to use is the "Quality Evaluation" file. This print will show the current state of calibration because it's before the ICC profiling step. If the machine is not calibrated to gray, the ICC profile is working that much harder to do so if, in fact, it does result in gray.

5. Mata

Mata Member

Feb 26, 2018
    London, England
    SignMeUpGraphicsSignMeUpGraphics You mentioned 80% is the sweet spot, do you change that under Basic Print Mode Settings > Define the printer specific settings for this print mode > Mode Options > Ink Density Factor

Then lock all values together and pick 80%? I can't see anywhere else you can change it so I wanted to be sure.

On another note, what does the Media setting number do? Shall I leave it on 'Use panel setting' or should I change it to media 1, 2 3 etc?

I created another profile yesterday using the onyx workflow and I used Argyll CMS this time around (I was told this is actually better than i1Profiler) but as you'll see in the image, the light source in the wine and cheese image is brown, but then the ink was set to 100% and not 80% as mentioned above.

Also, do you limit the ink in i1Profiler or leave it at 400%?

I also take it that you don't touch the linearization part in i1profiler

Attached Files:

6. Pauly

Pauly Colour Guru

Feb 14, 2016
    Melbourne
    i dont know which image is which, but left looks more accurate (in the reds especially)

I use Argyll CMS for monitor profiling, i like it better than i1 profiler.
    i1 profiler will do a fine job for printer profiles though. it's a good "all in 1" software for profiling imo. from there either you love it, or spend thousands on better, more specific software.

I can't really answer the ink limits on the epson. SignMeUpGraphicsSignMeUpGraphics will have your answer.

If you have time though, just experiment and see results. just set up a test media profile and test different settings. take notes etc. Then you end up making presents.

7. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    Yes, this is exactly correct regarding ink density.

We leave Media Setting Number to "Use Panel Setting".

Leave ink limits at 400% in i1Profiler and don't linearize. This is done internally in the printer when you use Epson workflow.