• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'd hold off on upgrading to CorelX6

SignManiac

It's buggy as hell. I have the 64bit version and it crashes a lot. I've tried several times to import a simple .eps file and it locks up. I have shut it down and reopen every time.

Anyone else having issues with it?

Ken

Corel..wait for the next version or until they do a service pack..bad as microsoft with their "newest and greatest". Then the next thing they're offering it for a discount....grrr.
Ken

J

john1

No probs on my trial of x6 on i7 with 16 gigs. Been using it for 14 days now.

WildWestDesigns

I had thought it was a curse, but now I'm starting to like the fact that I have to wait until new version of my embroidery software comes out to get the new version of Corel. They should have the bugs worked out by the time Wilcom comes out with the next release.

SignManiac

Now I'm not to sure its CorelX6. I tried to open it in X5 and it crashed that too. It might be a corrupt file. I'll let you know once I narrow down the problem.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Time to quit the work crap and crack something open and settle in for a nice weekend.

NSchlee

I had the same problem with X5, Corel sent me the following, solved my problem after updating the MS Visual C+ files.

Neal

Please visit http://search.microsoft.com/ then manually search, download and install the following updates:

1.) DirectX End-User Runtime
2.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 (x86)
3.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86)
4.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (x86)
5.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86)

slipperyfrog

Been running X6 since it released and have had nary a problem. Nice boost of speed.

The only issue so far has been bad files crashing X6 but as you mentioned it did the same thing in X5 with the same files.

TwoNine

I'm using Corel x6 - 64 bit - And no problems with EPS's to speak of. Our usual file size for EPS's is only about 8 megs though...And just vector at that. The only problem I've had is with the PowerClip - I posted about it a while back....It did it again the other day. It happens about 1 out of 100 times - so I'm cool with that, and I'll wait for a SP to hopefully fix it.

Mike F

Time to quit the work crap and crack something open and settle in for a nice weekend.

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: (even though I'm here till 7)

On topic, haven't installed the x6 trial yet, waiting till I have a design job so I can really test it out instead of just poking around aimlessly.

WildWestDesigns

On topic, haven't installed the x6 trial yet, waiting till I have a design job so I can really test it out instead of just poking around aimlessly.

Yea, there really isn't anything compared to having a job to get something done to really put the software to through the ringer (or your knowledge of the software).

Techman

waiting till I have a design job so I can really test it out instead of just poking around aimlessly.

Ya. thats the way i learn new software too. That I have an excuse for being late on deadlines.

Replicator

As NSchlee said, you must update your MS service packs, your MS visual basic and C++ and your runtime libraries to make it all work right !!!!!

I've been playing with the upgrade on two machines..one crashes more than the other but I have yet to identify any pattern as to why. I am evaluating for another company and thus far as a long time corel fan I can not sign off with my vote of approval.

on prior versions it has been rather easy to identify conflicts. Etc..but I am scratching my head on this one so far.

SignManiac

I had the same problem with X5, Corel sent me the following, solved my problem after updating the MS Visual C+ files.

Neal

Please visit http://search.microsoft.com/ then manually search, download and install the following updates:

1.) DirectX End-User Runtime
2.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 (x86)
3.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 (x86)
4.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 (x86)
5.) Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 (x86)

Downloaded and installed all of them. Made no difference at all??? Also, I am running X6 64 bit if that makes any difference?

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Corel is currently offering a $300 discount on Corel X6 (some sort of exclusive offer for people on the Corel e-mailing list). Basically they're offering the full version of Corel X6 at an upgrade price of $199. Plus they're including free shipping as part of the deal. The offer expires Saturday, April 14.

While this deal doesn't do much for those of us who already own CorelDRAW licenses it could be an enticing offer for other graphics users on the Windows platform. That could vary from people who just have Adobe software, only use dedicated sign making software, open source apps or other not so legal arrangements. The collection of fonts, clip art, etc. alone make it a pretty good deal, especially in light of how stingy other vendors (like Adobe) can be when it comes to bundling goodies in with software packages. I was very underwhelmed by what was bundled in Adobe's last Master Collection release.

J

john1

Corel is currently offering a $300 discount on Corel X6 (some sort of exclusive offer for people on the Corel e-mailing list). Basically they're offering the full version of Corel X6 at an upgrade price of $199. Plus they're including free shipping as part of the deal. The offer expires Saturday, April 14.

While this deal doesn't do much for those of us who already own CorelDRAW licenses it could be an enticing offer for other graphics users on the Windows platform. That could vary from people who just have Adobe software, only use dedicated sign making software, open source apps or other not so legal arrangements. The collection of fonts, clip art, etc. alone make it a pretty good deal, especially in light of how stingy other vendors (like Adobe) can be when it comes to bundling goodies in with software packages. I was very underwhelmed by what was bundled in Adobe's last Master Collection release.

I receive corel emails but it's still $499 with free shipping in the emails i'm getting and when i sign in on corel.com i see $499 also. I'm on x4 now