• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Idol for few days

midnightmadman

Thanks Bob. I will give that a try.
I know its not the best printer in the world, but I bought it used and its all I could afford at this point to get started doing my own prints.
I just hope I can impress customers and not do the opposite!
- Tom

midnightmadman

Strange. I printed a yellow 8x10 box. at first it came out lime but then after the first 1" it was PERFECT. Yellow.
Then I did a nozzle check and the small yellow came out the first 3/4 lime and the rest yellow.

MacDaddy

Cross Contamination... C & Y make green.... If it clears up by pumpimg ink thru it then you are most likely good to go...

midnightmadman

Cross Contamination... C & Y make green.... If it clears up by pumpimg ink thru it then you are most likely good to go...

Glade your still alive McDaddy!
Anyway, it seems like it clears up after a long print or a cleaning, but then if I do another say a few hours later it is greenish again.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
What do you mean by saved?
Whats the longest one can sit without any negative effects?
I restored the heads of a Mutoh that had been setting for over 2 years. The cleaning gets tough after a couple of weeks of not using it so it is best to run it through a cleaning cycle once a day. The problem with low usage is that ink will start to accumulate in the waste tubes and plug up. The machine needs to be used constantly to keep everything working properly.
I did a nozzle check and here is a scan from it. How bad does it look?
It is not too bad. The cross contamination is from ink transferring through the cleaning station. a cleaning cycle ran once a day should help to prevent it. Running a print until it clears up and then rerunning the print should work. You're going to waste a lot of ink, parts and time maintaining the machine until you get enough work to keep it busy.

Cross Contamination... If this is a FO Printer you may need a new Maintenance Station or at the very least a new Capping Station...
New won''t help until you get more work. A new capping station will cross contaminate if the machine is not used. However, there are parts that will need to be cleaned out manually or replaced if you don't use them more often. For this machine the capping station is the maintenance station

The key here is to print, print and print. If you don't have jobs for it then make up your own. Print out bumper stickers, auto tags, advertising for the shop and so on. Don't let it sit doing nothing. This will also give you some practice on running the machine.

Some good sources for jobs are the city, recycling, parks and recreation, fire department and so on. Don't do any cut vinyl if you can just print it. Send out a mailing. The Chamber of Commerce can help with bulk mailing as well as helping to promote your business to the business community.

Jackpine

Make sure the ink cartridges have similar ink levels in them. The one with a low level will cause uneven draw and siphon into the damper next to it.....contamination. With the ink cartridges near the same level print a solid block of the contaminated color until it clears up. Make a file with small blocks or the clean color and a larger block of the contaminated color. Just a suggestion.

midnightmadman

Make sure the ink cartridges have similar ink levels in them. The one with a low level will cause uneven draw and siphon into the damper next to it.....contamination. With the ink cartridges near the same level print a solid block of the contaminated color until it clears up. Make a file with small blocks or the clean color and a larger block of the contaminated color. Just a suggestion.

hmm, I don't think they are even at all. I know the lt cyan and the lt magenta are much more full.
How can I see whats in them?

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Make sure the ink cartridges have similar ink levels in them. The one with a low level will cause uneven draw and siphon into the damper next to it.....contamination...
This assumption is not correct. The siphon is towards the cartridges. If you were to pull the damper loose from the ink line, the ink flows back to the cartridges. The pumps pull the ink into the dampers where it is held from flowing back to the cartridges. The heads also hold some ink in a reservoir.

The reason for colors mixing is that the heads are resting on a mix of colors. If one damper is not holding the ink from being pulled back toward the cartridges then some of the mixed ink will enter the head. Even a new damper may have some leakage so it is something that you need to work with. The best way to work with it is to print more often.