• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

If you are a Flexi ICC profile making wizard please read and respond

Nick761

If you was able to create a profile with Flexi 12, than there is no need to send a profile to me to test it.

Grey: shure you check your samples under correct light conditions? Colour is reflected light, and ICC-calibration is based on light near daylight. Viewing colour samples under artificial light could lead to colour deviations, check it again under daylight.

Gamut: to which value have you set your ink limits?
When I bring my sample gradient under the sun, the darker parts of my white to black gradient are still slightly greenish. This is after linerization and charictorization. My ink limits are roughly 85% C, 80% M 70%Y, and 90% K. Total ink limit is 307%. In not on my PC so I can’t tell you my exact ink limits. But they where for the most part about 80%.

Arlon SLX seem to take ink very well. But what’s I find odd is my smaller gammut than some of the premise profiles. Especially since I was more generous on my ink limits on my second try. By the way, my second try yeilded a wider gammut than my first, mainly in the reds.

FrankW

What are the ink limits of the profiles you compare with? I for myself have set ink limits below 80% as doubtful for good colour quality.

Jlcaudle

Im running a Roland VG540. When I create a profile I go back and compare with FlexiSigns Profile Analyzer and look at profiles downloaded from 3M, Oracal ect. The ones that I create really look not much different from the downloaded profile the companies create. As a general rule I have nicer reds and better grays. Have you compared yours to other profiles?

Nick761

Im running a Roland VG540. When I create a profile I go back and compare with FlexiSigns Profile Analyzer and look at profiles downloaded from 3M, Oracal ect. The ones that I create really look not much different from the downloaded profile the companies create. As a general rule I have nicer reds and better grays. Have you compared yours to other profiles?
Yes, I posted a picture earlier showing the comparison, it is my reds that seem to be lacking.
upload_2019-4-20_21-2-41.png

Nick761

Going to bump this thread again.

So I went back in and attempted another profile. I set my ink limits higher this time and got slightly better linearization but I still can’t seem to hit vibrant reds.

Am I really just expearincing the limits of my printer? That would be odd considering pre made profiles hit darker reds than mine.

Here’s a pictures of my linearization.

Attachments

• 8A8209F8-6616-42F7-8054-9408EDAE6B6B.jpeg
    8A8209F8-6616-42F7-8054-9408EDAE6B6B.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 244

Nick761

Have you opened your profile up in "Color Profile Analyzer" ?
Yes and i can see that the profiles I create are lacking in the reds vs pre made profiles. Im just trying to figure out what I am doing wrong or if i am really at the limit of my media and printer.

Joe House

There is some voodoo involved in creating profiles and it takes a bit of experience and training to get what you want when creating profiles. Discussing profile creation via text or even on the phone is difficult to do. So, whatever I may say should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're looking for stronger reds though, the first thing I would try is to increase the Magenta ink limit by 5 or 10%.

Realize that this is just a hack suggestion. There are better ways to go about this, and better tools for analyzing your profile, but this may get you on the path you're looking for.

Nick761

There is some voodoo involved in creating profiles and it takes a bit of experience and training to get what you want when creating profiles. Discussing profile creation via text or even on the phone is difficult to do. So, whatever I may say should be taken with a grain of salt. If you're looking for stronger reds though, the first thing I would try is to increase the Magenta ink limit by 5 or 10%.

Realize that this is just a hack suggestion. There are better ways to go about this, and better tools for analyzing your profile, but this may get you on the path you're looking for.
Here's the odd thing... I made a profile last night for Substance Inc. X1. and i decided to go heavy on my ink limits which did yield a richer gamut in the reds and oranges. But what struck me as odd was the fact that my patches printed much darker than they should have been.

This is all very new to me and I apologize if i'm jumping around quite a bit. sure would be nice to pinpoint some training for this sort of stuff that I can attend.

By the way, Steve B. the sales guy from the bay area denco has been extremely helpful, great guy!

Pic below are a comparison of the 2 most recent profiles I have made.
upload_2019-5-9_14-17-2.png

Nick761

Still at it....

So I’m starting from square one. Setting ink limits. I’ve gone by eye and I think that I’m setting them too low and not maximizing my gammut.

I keep reading that I need to adjust ink limits by measuring chroma but I can’t find solid information on doing this process. Any tips?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
This is all very new to me
Regarding the graph; are you familiar enough to know if you're missing 1 step of discernible red or 100 steps of discernible red?

Do you see failures with reds either from your prints or against any other sample prints?

Saturn

Aging Member
Still at it....

So I’m starting from square one. Setting ink limits. I’ve gone by eye and I think that I’m setting them too low and not maximizing my gammut.

I keep reading that I need to adjust ink limits by measuring chroma but I can’t find solid information on doing this process. Any tips?

Any updates or "AHA!" tidbits to share?

Nick761

Any updates or "AHA!" tidbits to share?
Not entirely, I haven’t had motivation to keep the process up right now. I’m almost confident though I’m at the limit of my inkset and I’m probably looking for colors that are just not achievable. Example being very night oranges and very deep reds.

However I do know that if I build a profile with more ink in mind I do get better reds and oranges although it may not be the most accurate profile.

To top it off I have a print head on its way out so I’ve kinda stopped at this point. Well for now that is