• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illumination question

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
Are there any ways to diffuse a bare LED module, without a cover?

I want to put string LEDs on the rear of a 1/4" waterjetted aluminum design. The goal is to illuminate a painted gradient background lightly, and silhouette the crane design.

Letters would be standard 10" halos.

Planning on having it out about 2" from the background. The background is a 1" deep pan for wires.

I'm worried about hotspots.

Is it possible to put a diffusion material, even trans vinyl, directly over the modules to prevent hotspots and spread the light more evenly?

Attachments

• sample - night.jpg
    sample - night.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 205

Z SIGNS

The proper way to do a halo is to use a reverse channel with the led's mounted on clear on the back of letter pointing in.Mounting directly to the back of letter will work but when viewed from a slight angle you will see hotspots of light.

MikePro

trans vinyl won't diffuse hot spots. it might dim it slightly, but still looks like a string of xmas lights.

assuming you've written-off fabricating returns on letters for proper halo illumination
then....maybe fabricate a light box instead? .188" polycarb faces will allow for studded letters & standoffs, and the printed face can be opaque with lettering/shapes cut-out to allow for light to cast & reflect off the backside of the lettering (which should be painted white).

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Z Signs is correct. And, if I recall, UL requires there be a backer on reverse lit elements.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
The channel letters will have their own clear backer - the 1/4" aluminum is the only element that'll have exposed LED strings. The strings are rated IP68 and UL listed per our fabricator so not concerned with exposed.

If trans vinyl itself wont do it, maybe some sort of fabricated prism clipped over each module themselves? like clear tail light reflector?

I'll probably run with this design anyway - just trying to make it look as good as possible when it's all said and done.