Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illumination question

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by JTBoh, Jul 9, 2019.

1. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    Are there any ways to diffuse a bare LED module, without a cover?

I want to put string LEDs on the rear of a 1/4" waterjetted aluminum design. The goal is to illuminate a painted gradient background lightly, and silhouette the crane design.

Letters would be standard 10" halos.

Planning on having it out about 2" from the background. The background is a 1" deep pan for wires.

I'm worried about hotspots.

Is it possible to put a diffusion material, even trans vinyl, directly over the modules to prevent hotspots and spread the light more evenly?

Attached Files:

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    The proper way to do a halo is to use a reverse channel with the led's mounted on clear on the back of letter pointing in.Mounting directly to the back of letter will work but when viewed from a slight angle you will see hotspots of light.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    trans vinyl won't diffuse hot spots. it might dim it slightly, but still looks like a string of xmas lights.

assuming you've written-off fabricating returns on letters for proper halo illumination
    then....maybe fabricate a light box instead? .188" polycarb faces will allow for studded letters & standoffs, and the printed face can be opaque with lettering/shapes cut-out to allow for light to cast & reflect off the backside of the lettering (which should be painted white).

4. GaSouthpaw

GaSouthpaw Active Member

Dec 1, 2005
    Georgia
    Z Signs is correct. And, if I recall, UL requires there be a backer on reverse lit elements.

5. JTBoh

JTBoh I sell signage and signage accessories.

Jun 15, 2011
    Clermont, FL
    The channel letters will have their own clear backer - the 1/4" aluminum is the only element that'll have exposed LED strings. The strings are rated IP68 and UL listed per our fabricator so not concerned with exposed.

If trans vinyl itself wont do it, maybe some sort of fabricated prism clipped over each module themselves? like clear tail light reflector?

I'll probably run with this design anyway - just trying to make it look as good as possible when it's all said and done.