Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Illustrator Alignment not working

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Breezy85, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Breezy85

Breezy85 Member

May 23, 2018
    Auburn-Kent
    Hey all! It's been a while since I posted here.

I'm having a weird issue with Illustrator that I'm out of ideas on how to fix. When I use the alignment (as pictured) to align certain objects to each other or the art board, nothing happens. I've searched through all the preferences and settings, couldn't find anything that would reference that.

Any suggestions or advice??

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 5.43.30 PM.png

Tags:
  2. Pippin Decals

Pippin Decals Active Member

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    Make sure you have your image etc selected and you are selecting Align to Artboard or Align to Selection,There be a section to select one or the other. If you cant get it to work send me a pm unless someone provides something else.I will take a screen shot and repost in a sec.

Also make sure what your selecting isnt grouped together..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  3. Breezy85

Breezy85 Member

May 23, 2018
    Auburn-Kent
    Yeah I'm selecting it, but nothing aligns.

4. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    This could be a bunch of things. Objects that are already grouped are considered 1 object so it can't align to itself. If there are clipping masks or compound paths it could affect the alignment. Also, text tends not to align properly unless they are converted to lines.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Pippin Decals

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    Here is my screen shot SCREEN.jpg

6. Pippin Decals

May 29, 2015
    Ca.
    Sending pm

7. Breezy85

Breezy85 Member

May 23, 2018
    Auburn-Kent
    It was set for that. I just selected "Artboard" and then back to "Selection" and now it works. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pippin Decals

May 29, 2015
    Ca.

Good to hear.. If you ever need anything send me a pm or give a call.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    I was thinking you may have had an element locked...that will also give you problems if you don't unlock them.

10. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Crystal Falls, MI
    I wish Illustrator had a way to align the top of one object to the bottom of another or the left side of an object to the right side of a different object without have to depend on snapping to guide lines.

11. shoresigns

shoresigns Very Active Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    Umm, have you tried the Distribute Spacing buttons in the third row of the Align panel? They do exactly this.

The trick is, you have to select your objects, then left click on one to make it a Key Object, or simply switch the Align To option to Key Object. Then you can type 0 (zero) as your spacing value in the box at the bottom of the Align panel, and click one of the Distribute Spacing buttons to line up your objects edge-to-edge vertically or horizontally.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. IDB Signs

IDB Signs Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Portland, TN
    Thanks for this! I've messed around with it a bit before, but never with the Key Object, or setting the spacing to zero, which would not give me the desired results.