Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator can't fit my design

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by TheSnowman, Oct 29, 2007.

1. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I'm trying to make a layout that is 5' tall, by 28' long. Illustrator just takes a dump all over itself when I tell it to go that big, and tells me it doesn't know how. It's CS2, but I've never had to make anything that big before...any ideas on a way around this? It's just going to be some vectored lines that I'll be cutting on the plotter.

Tags:
  2. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    Lay it out at 25% and send it to the plotter at 400%??

3. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    I considered that, I was just annoyed that I had to scale it. Just wondered if there was an easy way around it...not that scaling it will kill me.

4. Shovelhead

Shovelhead Major Contributor

Dec 5, 2003
    I apologize for being sarcastic!
    :Cool 2:

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    Although Adobe Illustrator is an excellent design application, its authors do not gear it to accommodate larger sign sizes. Scaling is the solution.

6. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    I do all mine to scale using Cadtools.....but for simple stuff, CadTools is overkill.

www.hotdoor.com

7. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    CS3 was supposed to allow larger art board sizes but that obviously fell through =/. CADTools or Scaling will be your only solutions.

8. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    That's always been a drawback (in my mind) with Illy and PS--the inability to accomodate large layouts. Of course, you can scale things up, but should one have to? This is one area where Flexi blows Adobe products away.

9. Replicator

Replicator Major Contributor

Nov 19, 2006
    Sun City, AZ
    CS3 only scales up to 18.9618 FT . . . Definite drawback . . . !

10. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    hint: try 10% instead of 25%. Just move the decimal & every measurement you enter, or every measurement you read takes absolutely no time to calculate, only the nano second to remember that you are scaling at all.

There Foz... hope I gave back the right words :smile:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  11. GK

GK Very Active Member

Apr 30, 2007
    NYC
    Keep in mind, Flexi was designed primarily to do decal/sign work so if Flexi was designed to do this and couldn't make graphics this size...what use would it have at all compared to any of the Adobe products. Adobe wasn't created to cut decals, design wraps, make signs so there was absolutely no need for anything like this for them to make changes, hence all the 3rd party stuff out to do the stuff it originally wasn't intended to do.

12. fozzyber

fozzyber Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Isigns, give me my words back you friggen thief, you stole them from my mouth....

13. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    OR use Corel. I makes whopper siez panels.

14. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui

bummer... mine only goes to 18.9583 :help:

15. TheSnowman

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Don't ya love the things ya learn by accident?

16. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    ummmm... let's see...

don't fill 22 shells with firecracker powder and torch in moms wreckroom

don't jump of 40' rope swings at scout jamboree

don't ride with friends driving on qualudes

don't freeze up in the impact zone in high surf advisory conditions & let the lip drive your ribs into your board

don't catch an edge boarding down the treeline

without further ado ...guess I'm gonna say no :rolleyes:

17. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    Exactly.

And, somtimes, that just isn't big enough!

I use both Illy and PS on a daily basis, so I'm not bashing them. However, Flexi is still my go-to vector based drawing app. I think it's geared more towards the precise measurements involved in signcrafting than Illustrator.

18. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Scaling in any program has its advantages...like sending a proof and using the scaled drawings to measure your lettering placement...that is the majority of my work. I have not had too many issues with precision when scaling up. When I was a production monkey I saw the same mistakes when getting Corel, Flexi, Quark and other files. By the way, printing out in scale from Flexi blows. Since I design for multple uses and CadTools has more options, Illustrator has more advantages for me....if I was cutting vinyl all day or had no reason to use scale then I would think it sucks too. I have the scale thing down in my head...8.333 for getting it into Architects scale 10's for metric...then fit in a page..no biggie

19. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

corel version 7.0 and up have a work page of 150 FEET X 150 FEET now thats all you ever need....

20. Deaton Design

Deaton Design Very Active Member

Feb 19, 2005
    I do just about every single layout in illustrator in a scale size. If its for a 4' by 8', I design it in 4" by 8". I import the file into vinylmasterpro, resize it and cut everything from there. I hardly do any design work in my cut program.