• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CS6: What do YOU think?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I think Adobe's new strategy is to force you to upgrade every year or go with the subscription model. From what I have read on the Adobe online forums is that you won't be able to skip upgrades. Unless they change it, going from cs5 to cs7 for instance will be a full purchase price and only cs6 to cs7 qualify for upgrade pricing. I know cs7 is a long way off but it is something to plan for.

At some point you may never be able to get boxed versions of the software and i wonder if they require everyone to go with the subscription

WildWestDesigns

At some point you may never be able to get boxed versions of the software and i wonder if they require everyone to go with the subscription

I could see it going to just downloads, but if they do subscription only, I think I might just become totally Corel (unless they went the subscription only method).

If you did the numbers crunching on the subscription based approach versus just buying the upgrades, within 7 yrs you'll be in the positive if you don't go the subscription route. Now if you use all the programs in your workflow to equal the Master Suite or you don't plan on doing this within 7 yrs, then the subscription model makes sense. You really shouldn't look at the price on a monthly basis with no "memory" of last month, but calculate how much it's going to cost you over the time frame that you plan on needing these programs.

As to upgrade cost. Y'all have it easy. For the amount of programs that you get for the cost of an upgrade, Adobe is cheap. Some may not think so, but it's down right cheap to upgrade Adobe products.

synergy_jim

we use about 75% of the software, so the subscription model works great for us. The way I look at it, we never skip versions anyways and this allows us to stay up to date at all times without $2600.00 in cash outlay up front. Plus as we grow and keep adding seats and more designers, I can add the next guy for $49.99. I don't see the downfall in that.

Sure if you are that guy still using illustrator 11 and do not use any other adobe stuff, it makes no sense....

:thumb:

CES020

As to upgrade cost. Y'all have it easy. For the amount of programs that you get for the cost of an upgrade, Adobe is cheap. Some may not think so, but it's down right cheap to upgrade Adobe products.

I agree, I never understand the "outrage" at the upgrade price. I suspect a lot of people have things they never use in the package. We had the master suite because I didn't know any better when I bought it. I thought I'd use it all. We downgraded to the standard suite, Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign. Since downgrading, I haven't needed the other items yet. The upgrade price for the standard is like $299. I'll spend $300 a year to upgrade. I think that's a bargain.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I think the uproar is the perpetual license thing. Let's say you don't like the subscription model. Once you stop the subscription and decide a boxed version makes more sense, there is no "credit" for 1 or more years of paying the subscription.

I have always skipped versions like many others have done. That is no longer a smart option. I will continue to buy the upgrades/boxed versions as I have no use for anything other than what is in the standard upgrade (ps, ai, indd, pdf)

WildWestDesigns

I think the uproar is the perpetual license thing. Let's say you don't like the subscription model. Once you stop the subscription and decide a boxed version makes more sense, there is no "credit" for 1 or more years of paying the subscription.

Oh yea, you have to pick one option and stick with it. Those that are just getting into the game or those around when these options started are going to be able to really have a "choice", but once you start with one option, you have to stick with that option.

rjpjr

We found a situation that we are not real happy with. If an older file (CS4, CS5) is opened and the contents copied and pasted into a brand new CS6 window, there is a fairly significant shift in color. :banghead:
I have attached a screen capture to show difference. The color displayed in the attachment is a gradient using PMS 412.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 86

TheSnowman

Yes one of my guys had a laptop with win7 and ran CS2 on it for awhile. If I remember correctly, he had to change the path on install and run as administrator.

Yep...I had to do a little google digging, but I got it to work. The guy at Adobe said forget it it'll never happen, 20 minutes later it was installed. Win 7 just changed the structure of the file system, so once you tell it the new place, all is well. I don't plan to upgrade till I am totally stuck and can't do it. I sub out all my design work, so it's not really an issue for me.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Thsi really threw me for a loop at first as well. Your file has Pantone colors specified. CS6 uses the new Pantone Plus color libraries which internally define the colors using LAB values instead of CMYK values.

It's actually more accurate. If it really is a problem though you can get rid of the new Pantone libraries and install the old ones.

Here was a thread on this issue...

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95255

We found a situation that we are not real happy with. If an older file (CS4, CS5) is opened and the contents copied and pasted into a brand new CS6 window, there is a fairly significant shift in color. :banghead:
I have attached a screen capture to show difference. The color displayed in the attachment is a gradient using PMS 412.

redbarn

CS6 is much better. If you have not upgraded you computer to a 64bit os it may be a waste. I built a new computer right before I upgraded and the difference is amazing. no hang up, nice improvements to image trace, i love it.