• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CS6: What do YOU think?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I downloaded the Illy CS6 demo and have been playing around with it to see what it has. It doesn't appear to have that many new tools that I would use compared to CS5, but I really like the new interface and the new layout of the control panels. For some reason the darker interface is very appealing.

It has lightning fast scrolling, but the zoom speed seems to be the same as CS5.

I placed a 200 inch wide photo on the artboard and compared the file open and save speeds. CS6 is clearly the winner here being that it's a 64 bit program. CS5 seems to hang up while saving the same large file, and it even throws up a "page not responding" message, but then eventually saves the file.

Upgrades are priced $50 higher than they have been in the past, but I always consider it the cost of doing business.

So, with all that said, is there anything you've found so far that would compel you to part with $249.00 to upgrade from CS5?

Thanks,

Jim

petepaz

i haven't noticed a big difference. for what i use it for i could still be using cs2 or 3 and be ok. the main reason we end up upgrading is because we get files from our customers that we can't open.

Border

i haven't noticed a big difference. for what i use it for i could still be using cs2 or 3 and be ok. the main reason we end up upgrading is because we get files from our customers that we can't open.

This is how I feel as well.

WildWestDesigns

The biggest thing that I could see with the upgrade to Ai CS6 for the the 64bit capabilities. At least that's how I look at it in theory. I haven't gotten the demo or done the upgrade (yet), but that too me would be the biggest reason that I would do it.

anotherdog

I have to admit the 64 bit sounds attractive. My CS5 hangs for long stretches while saving my .eps print files. If this is a cure it will stop me from going and checking out signs101 while I'm saving a file...
However I won't take the leap until I see customer files in CS6 that can't be flipped to 5.
Are there any other CS6 programs that make it worth it? Photoshop any better?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
So far (week or so using it daily) I like it. I'll post later today with pluses and minuses as I see them. There are some compelling pluses though.

garisimo

I'm looking forward to the upgrade that will give me the ability to assign command keys to tools (looking at you, eyedropper/text tool). Oh, and if they could build an intelligent text on a circle tool, that would be the Adobe g d moon landing. Too bad they never use their money to buy companies with existing technology (settle down Freehand user in the back). Can I mention wanting a decent step and repeat without sounding bitter? Nope.

On the bright side, the dark interface is goth-hip. And I love making a phat path with gradients. And all the designers have upgraded and started sending me files saved as CS6 to print, then get impatient and talk down their noses at me because I ask for the files in a legacy format. Which is cool, because then I have something to grouse about.

Cheers!

-g-

James Burke

If you have time, create a large file and compare open / save speeds to CS5...and file sizes.

I've found one or two situations where a file created in CS6 (with all the identical photos and elements) is smaller than than CS5. I just want to see if it was a fluke...or the real thing.

Thanks,

Jim

James Burke

Oh, and if they could build an intelligent text on a circle tool, that would be the Adobe g d moon landing.

Ditto...that's why I find myself copying out of SignLab and pasting into Illy for that feature. Not the most productive...but it works well.

JB

GB2

Old Member
Beware of some of the issues that might affect you if you are upgrading to CS6...many plugins will not work with CS6, for example Mimaki Finecut will not work until they come out with their upgrade in December of 2012 and Hot Door Cad Tools will not work. Also, InDesign CS6 is not backwards compatible with earlier versions, so if you create a document in InDesign CS6 then it can only be opened in CS6. Documents created in earlier versions will open in CS6 however.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Other than the speed nothing about AI CS6 excites me and I am a dedicated AI user. Once used that may change a bit but will probably only feel compelled to upgrade to be able to open files sent my way and remain current. Plus want to avoid the sticker shock of skipping too many upgrades and Adobe's new policy

WildWestDesigns

Other than the speed nothing about AI CS6 excites me and I am a dedicated AI user. Once used that may change a bit but will probably only feel compelled to upgrade to be able to open files sent my way and remain current. Plus want to avoid the sticker shock of skipping too many upgrades and Adobe's new policy

I think the speeds of 64 bit is perhaps the one thing about Ai that excites me as well. While I'm not a fan of having to upgrade every generation, Adobe's price schedule is still cheaper doing that then the one program that I religiously upgrade every generation, even thought they allow you to skip up to 3 generations and still qualify for a upgrade price.

Tony Teveris

I think Adobe's priority is no longer in the Illustrator world. It's all about PhotShop or all things web. I just did a survey for them and it started to point to gaming, once I selected no interest the survey ended.

I'm sure the 64 bit version is great for large jobs but I would watch out if you are a user of plug-ins.

omgsideburns

When I get some new computers in my shop I'll probably switch. Until then I'm stuck with what I've got.. which is 5 on my work computer and 5.5 on my lappy.

64 bit makes me happy though, memory limits of 32 bit keep killing me. 16gb of memory and illy might use 2 of it and tell me "not enough memory".

Letterbox Mike

I don't see any major changes to it as far as interface or functionality, but it is significantly faster than CS5 because it's taking advantage of the 64 bit OS. By significant I mean night and day like a different program significant. At least for us. I haven't gotten it to snag or hold up one bit yet, CS5 seemed to always momentarily freeze or bog down constantly. When I'd close a tab in CS5 it would take a couple seconds for it to close each time, regardless of the file size, and larger files took 5-10 seconds sometimes. CS6 closes tabs instantly, no lag or bogging down whatsoever.

My only complaint is neither our Onyx Sign & Banner plugin or Cad Tools plugins are available yet for CS6, so we're having to jump back and forth between 5 and 6 a lot on some jobs. That'll be temporary obviously, but until then it's a bit annoying.

WildWestDesigns

I think Adobe's priority is no longer in the Illustrator world. It's all about PhotShop or all things web.

You know, I was thinking that with CS3 and up they didn't really see all that interested with Ai. Now there was still some improvements even with my workflow, but it just didn't seem like there was the same "buzz" with it versus Ps.

I wouldn't be surprised that the only reason they finally made it 64 bit was because CorelDraw is now 64 bit. Seems like Ps has been 64 bit for a long time now.

MatthewTimothy

Plus in reality Photoshop's market is mostly going to 3D modeling from the new high def technologies and the release of Lightroom. I actually prefer lightroom over Photoshop now and Illustrator is leaning more towards illustrations with the release of better options. I am wanting to test CS6 this weekend, but if you receive illustrations just request for EPS format and your chances of running into an issue with a version are slimmer.