• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

illustrator help with Resolution

LMSigns24

Hi, I have created a brochure in illustaror for a customer. When i print it out on my printer, it is very clear. I am sending it to a printer to get printed, but they are telling me the file is only 72dpi. I saved it for them as an eps. How do you chanage the resolution in illustrator? I am under the assumption that since it is vector they should not have a problem with resolution. I have never had this problem before. What is going on?

Rodi

Hi LM,
is there a picture involved that you imported? Any type or vector piece would be resolution independent, so only raster items are a concern.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
If it's all vectors then you need to talk to your printer. Vectors are resolution independent. If any portion of the file is raster, however, then you may need to look at the size of the original raster image in Photoshop or any other image editor.

My guess is the printer is opening your EPS file in Photoshop and the last such file he opened was at 72 PPI resolution. Photoshop likes to remember the last settings it has used.

LMSigns24

Well, there are 3 photos in this file, but they are images that the customer provided. The printer is saying the entire file is blurry. This is how the file is being sent...... I created it, i am sending it to another business who sub contracts there work. So they are sending it to the printer. I recieved and email that said "PSD files you sent to us are 72dpi and appear blurry. I just want to make you aware that the files are low resolution" I am confused, because the file is not a psd, it is an illustrator eps. I am wondering if this file is being converted to a psd by sub contractor before it gets to the printer.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Check your EPS and insure that the photos are embedded, not linked. It would also be prudent to send the photo files separately to the printer.

Marie

Is eps what the printer requested? - or does he want a PSD (since he referenced that file type in the e-mail he sent you) - See if he will accept a PDF file. Usually, there are fewer problems with a correctly prepared PDF. You could save the file as a PSD, but it would be rather large . . . Good Luck :)

a+signgal

printing problem

Most printers require you to send files as 300ppi. They should be able to stretch the file if it is vector, but like others here have said if there it an image you need to readjust that image file.
Sign Gal

luggnut

when i export eps from illustrator with transparency there is a box where i can chose the resolution. they have defaults in there low med and high. medium is the default. so if you have a object thats transparency has been adjusted you will be able to select a resolution. i found this when my strokes keep getting converted to outlines.
i use that box to change the setting to custom so i can keep it from converting strokes to outlines. theres a check box for the convert to outlines if you chose custom resolution.

P

ProWraps™

but they are images that the customer provided.

well shit, theres your problem!

i can almost guarantee they grabbed them off the web at 72 dpi. be thankful your printer is smart enough to give you the heads up. most would just print and charge you. let your client know these files are not sufficient resolution for true print work and that they need to provide you with a 300dpi file/s.