Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Illustrator Help

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by Cy Fan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Cy Fan

Cy Fan Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Is there a way to take a raster image or a photograph in Illy and turn it into a black and white image?

Tags:
  2. Creative_Lance

Creative_Lance Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    You can do this in photoshop by desaturating the image and play with the level slider, brightness then save it as a PS file then open it in Illustrator and autotrace it.
    I hope this is helpful

3. Cy Fan

Cy Fan Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Thanks Lance, I'm not the greatest with photoshop but will give it a try. Converting the image to vector isn't needed, just need to make a color photo into a b/w.

4. thewood

thewood Very Active Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Tennessee
    Filter>Color>Convert to Grayscale

5. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    Or convert to LAB and go to the L Channel and copy then paste into a new doc, the L channel usaully has more contrast than any RGB, for some very technical reasons. You can also check out the G channel in RGB file and grab that, thats and old scanner operator trick.

6. Cy Fan

Cy Fan Member

Jun 16, 2007
    I knew I've done it before, but was having a brain ****. Thanks wood!!

7. Rodi

Rodi Very Active Member

Aug 3, 2007
    CS3 its under the edif menu to convert, I found that out today, there was no color under the filter menu…

8. anotherdog

anotherdog Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Illustrator cs3, Edit/ Edit Colours/ Convert to greyscale. Not a great, but it works.