• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help ILLUSTRATOR : TEMPLATE OVERLAP FOR DESIGN PURPOSE , HOW TO SEPARATE AFTER , I OFFER MONEY !

Dex Savage

DEXSACO
If somebody here know how to work with snowmobile , motocross template. I'm stock just before printing ...
The template is designed to fit once install on shaped plastic , so it is overlapping at some place for the design purpose to be sure the design will align once install , but I have to separate all the piece before printing to get my full template path,
if somebody is willing to give me a lesson on teamviewer , i'm interested

Thanks to all!

Attachments

• TEMPLATE OVERLAPPING ( SEPARATION.png
    TEMPLATE OVERLAPPING ( SEPARATION.png
    280.2 KB · Views: 581

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Are you gonna print this, or cut it...
Your terminology might be an issue, do you want to place your graphic within your shape and that it follows your template?

If that is what you do and you want to print it, you want to group your design, make the the outer shape of your template, place it on top of your graphic, and hit CTRL 7 (or go to OBJECT>CLIPPING MASK>MAKE CLIPPING MASK) and it should mask.

You you are going to cut it, use your PATHFINDER tools...

AKwrapguy

If somebody here know how to work with snowmobile , motocross template. I'm stock just before printing ...
The template is designed to fit once install on shaped plastic , so it is overlapping at some place for the design purpose to be sure the design will align once install , but I have to separate all the piece before printing to get my full template path,
if somebody is willing to give me a lesson on teamviewer , i'm interested

Thanks to all!

I do these all the time. It's a bit of a time suck if you don't have a pattern already set up to how you want to print it. Worst puzzle ever.

Dex Savage

DEXSACO
yes , I want to print , laminate and cut it ... I've done the cut line ,
here is my layer
1 is the cut line ( outline only )
1 is the outline ( the aera around the template , to see the result even before doina clipping mask
1 is the template
1 is my design

I want to separate the template after the design done and have my design following it , then I guess I will have to work on some empty area when I will separate )
but I dont know how to separate after clipping mask is done having the design locked with the template path

AKwrapguy

So not exact sure what your asking.
Some of this depends on what rip you have.
You have your template, I would have it with no fill and maybe a stroke of a contrasting color so you can see it. Lock that layer
Create another layer under it and do your design.
Once you design is done use the Pathfinder tools in Illustrator to separate it using your template layer ( you might have to give it a fill)
Now that all the pieces are separated you can move them around to fit your printer.

From there you can apply your contour cut, print, laminate, cut, weed and done.

spooledUP7

Here's how you do it in illustrator.
1. Save a version of your original design (copy it off to the side or simply save a new document for print) This way you can go back to it if you mess up.
2. Create your bleed for every decal piece. If you are not cutting then skip this step. (Offset path for illustrator) your bleed is determined by how accurate your plotter can hold its line while cutting. Most people use 0.125" to 0.25" offset or .3-.6 mm.
3. Create a new lower layer called "Bleeds" and move all your bleeds to this layer. Lock this layer for now.
4. Do the same thing for your templates (contour cuts). Create a new layer above all layers called "Templates" and move the templates there. Lock the layer for now.
5. Group all of your artwork. This should be easy now that your bleeds and templates are protected on their own locked layers.
Now here's where it gets tricky, especially if your artwork is complicated and or your computer is slow.
6. Duplicate the artwork layer as many times as you need. If you want to freely nest all your decals for print then you are going to need a duplicated layer for each piece. If you are not concerned about nesting then just make a duplicate layer for the pieces that are overlapping in addition to one layer for the bulk of the non-overlapping pieces.
7. Alternatively you could simply copy paste each artwork onto one layer but since it's difficult to center objects together in illustrator I recommend the duplicate layer technique. TIP: To center two objects without losing the position of the parent object or anchor object be sure to move the child object (or to be centered object) down and to the right of the parent object (The child must be below and to the right of the parent or it will not work). Then, first select the parent object and next the child object and click the "align left", and then "align top". This only works if both objects are the exact same size x and y.
8. Now move your "Bleeds" layer above all the artwork layers and then unlock the bleeds layer.
9. Select one bleed object (Say the front nose piece) and while holding shift select one of the duplicates of grouped artwork and then mask the artwork (Object/Clipping Mask/Create Clipping Mask)
10. Repeat this for every object you want to freely move around for nesting purposes. If there is, or are large sections where you want all the pieces to maintain their original orientation and proximity to each other then group all your associated bleeds together and then use this grouped bleeds to create one clipping mask. This will reduce the number of layer copies you need, but will limit your ability to nest freely.
11. Once all of your desired objects are masked then you can unlock your templates layer and begin grouping together the corresponding templates to their objects.
12. Freely nest your decals.

It's not nearly as easy as pressing a button but it's how I know how to do it and hopefully it gets you into production.

AKwrapguy

Here's how you do it in illustrator.
1. Save a version of your original design (copy it off to the side or simply save a new document for print) This way you can go back to it if you mess up.
2. Create your bleed for every decal piece. If you are not cutting then skip this step. (Offset path for illustrator) your bleed is determined by how accurate your plotter can hold its line while cutting. Most people use 0.125" to 0.25" offset or .3-.6 mm.
3. Create a new lower layer called "Bleeds" and move all your bleeds to this layer. Lock this layer for now.
4. Do the same thing for your templates (contour cuts). Create a new layer above all layers called "Templates" and move the templates there. Lock the layer for now.
5. Group all of your artwork. This should be easy now that your bleeds and templates are protected on their own locked layers.
Now here's where it gets tricky, especially if your artwork is complicated and or your computer is slow.
6. Duplicate the artwork layer as many times as you need. If you want to freely nest all your decals for print then you are going to need a duplicated layer for each piece. If you are not concerned about nesting then just make a duplicate layer for the pieces that are overlapping in addition to one layer for the bulk of the non-overlapping pieces.
7. Alternatively you could simply copy paste each artwork onto one layer but since it's difficult to center objects together in illustrator I recommend the duplicate layer technique. TIP: To center two objects without losing the position of the parent object or anchor object be sure to move the child object (or to be centered object) down and to the right of the parent object (The child must be below and to the right of the parent or it will not work). Then, first select the parent object and next the child object and click the "align left", and then "align top". This only works if both objects are the exact same size x and y.
8. Now move your "Bleeds" layer above all the artwork layers and then unlock the bleeds layer.
9. Select one bleed object (Say the front nose piece) and while holding shift select one of the duplicates of grouped artwork and then mask the artwork (Object/Clipping Mask/Create Clipping Mask)
10. Repeat this for every object you want to freely move around for nesting purposes. If there is, or are large sections where you want all the pieces to maintain their original orientation and proximity to each other then group all your associated bleeds together and then use this grouped bleeds to create one clipping mask. This will reduce the number of layer copies you need, but will limit your ability to nest freely.
11. Once all of your desired objects are masked then you can unlock your templates layer and begin grouping together the corresponding templates to their objects.
12. Freely nest your decals.

It's not nearly as easy as pressing a button but it's how I know how to do it and hopefully it gets you into production.

Here is a slightly different way.
I would
Grab the original template image and copy it. Give the pieces a red stroke with no fill. Lock this layer. It should always be your top layer and you should see red stroke over everything else to give you a guideline for your artwork.
Past it in place (ctrl+shift+v) onto a new layer give it a outer stroke of about 3. Expand the outline and merge the outline to the individual pieces. make sure not to merge individual pieces together. This is you bleed layer. It will always be your second from the top layer. Lock this layer and hide it.
Create a new layer, this is your design layer.

Once your design is done, group it together and copy it. Lock the layer and hide it.
Create a new layer and paste in place your artwork (ctrl+shift+v)
Now unlock you bleed layer and select a piece of the wrap and the artwork and in the Pathfinder menu select 'crop'
Again paste in place the artwork and select a piece of the wrap and the artwork and 'crop'
repeat until all the pieces are done
now unlock the original layer, you should be able to grab the individual piece of the artwork with the original layer, move the pieces around to minimize you material use.

Printsol

3mm clipping mask for every piece plus a cut path layer. What could be easier? And you still able to edit the artwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dex Savage

DEXSACO
sorry it is kinda hard for me to explain well cause i speak mainly french ...
i have to do nesting ( take my files , do clipping mask with each layer of the compound path , then move it into my nest file ) but i wonder if there is a better way to realign ( including the rotation alignement )

Dex Savage

DEXSACO
i start from a template , here is my nest file for 48'' print , i have all my clipping mask around , and need to snap it piece by piece to have my cut line ... there might be another way... thanks

Attachments

• SCREEN SHOT MONTAGE NEST 48 ''.png
    SCREEN SHOT MONTAGE NEST 48 ''.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 323

Printsol

i start from a template , here is my nest file for 48'' print , i have all my clipping mask around , and need to snap it piece by piece to have my cut line ... there might be another way... thanks

There are some plugins for Illy, but they won’t work correctly with clipping mask. You will have to crop everything outside the clipping mask. And that’s a PITA.

I use this one eCut Adobe Illustrator plugins: nesting, plotting, cnc - Main

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk