• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

illy cs3?

signrios

i'm getting illy cs3 at a good deal, i'm new to adobe, i'm trying to learn it would this work?
or should i get the latest and greatest

is there a big difference between the two cs3 and cs5?

should i get the newest cs5 $$$ or at least cs4?

thanks

Rooster

CS3 is still a very powerful program. You may run into incompatibilities between versions when accepting outside files and using an older version in house. You may also run into incompatibilities with your operating system if you're running the latest and greatest from either M$ or Apple.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I am running the demo of CS5 right now. If you do vector work all day long and you accept customer files then 4 or 5 might make some sense but otherwise cs3 will do just fine. I really like the variable width stroke tool. I have not played with too many other things in AI CS5 yet

AI CS5 finally has multiple artboards. Lots of other little things I noticed but nothing earth shattering

jfiscus

Rap Master
CS3 is fine and dandy for everything I do, even though I have CS4, most things I use are the same.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5, mainly for the multiple artboard feature. CS4 users most likely could skip this version and not miss much, but there are those technophiles out there who always like the latest and greatest.

The multiple artboards are absolutely awesome. My typical customer template consists of about ten artboards at various sizes. Regular 8-1/2 x 11 for artwork approvals (scaled down artwork) and larger sizes for working on full scale designs or mockups.

I have several artboards set to the exact size of my plotter media size which I usually export as .dxf files directly into SignLab 8. It has a feature that allows specifically selected artwork to be exported instead of the entire file...very handy.

The best part about it is no more having to minimize and maximize Illustrator windows when working with multiple files...they're all in the same file, and each is cutable and printable only when needed...no more moving your design on and off from the artboard.

If you do need to use multiple files, the tabs are always docked across the top of the window...another one of my favorite features.

If you're a new learner, and the savings for CS3 is significant, then by all means start out with CS3. You can up grade directly to CS5 whenever you get the urge, but it must be before CS6 comes out.

If you expect to be a "power user", then you might want to go for CS4 or CS5.

JB

iSign

i'm getting illy cs3 at a good deal...

If you're a new learner, and the savings for CS3 is significant, then by all means start out with CS3. You can up grade directly to CS5 whenever you get the urge...

Signrios, what kind of "good deal" is it? a new purchase or second hand?

I just wanted to mention the license requirements & suggest you make sure you can upgrade it.

Adobe has a complex license transfer process, but you will certainly want to make sure that is applicable to your purchase, for "activation" reasons, as well as "upgrade" reasons.