• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm a self-learner, which means I don't know jack.... (reduce points tool)

os101king

... and this becomes apparent from time to time. I've been dealing with random (?) crashes and issues like this for years now without taking the time to inspect the reasons. Let me ask this. Does ANYONE know how to actually reduce points in a vector in flexi? I know there's a tool for it.... (reduce points) but so far no matter what I've tried it don't do S**T. Any suggestions? Questions? Advice? Insults? Whatever you got, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
OK, it's a bit different but once you get used to it, like most things, it works fine.

What you do is select the node reduction tool, it looks like a set of demented goalposts.

Then select an existing node and drag it to another location on the vector. As you drag it you see the curve that Flexi proposes and all of the points in between where you started and where you end up are eliminated.

Drag it across a complicated curve and you'll see it go insane with loops and knots. In that case just drag it back until the proposed curve resembles something you can work with.

When it's the way you want it, click on the check mark on the Design Central dialog.

SignStudent

OK, it's a bit different but once you get used to it, like most things, it works fine.

What you do is select the node reduction tool, it looks like a set of demented goalposts.

Then select an existing node and drag it to another location on the vector. As you drag it you see the curve that Flexi proposes and all of the points in between where you started and where you end up are eliminated.

Drag it across a complicated curve and you'll see it go insane with loops and knots. In that case just drag it back until the proposed curve resembles something you can work with.

When it's the way you want it, click on the check mark on the Design Central dialog.

Are you sure you're not talking about "optimize by curve"? That tool seems to work the way you describe, but I can't get the "reduce points" tool to do anything like what you're describing.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Are you sure you're not talking about "optimize by curve"? That tool seems to work the way you describe, but I can't get the "reduce points" tool to do anything like what you're describing.

You're correct. I've been using it so long I forget about that rather limited tool.

The actual 'reduce points' tool will work only on points that essentially on the same curve or line. It will not reduce points across a cusp, an ess curve, or a collection of straight lines and curves. If you have a simple curve or a straight line that has gratuitous points it will reduce those.

Generally the 'optimize by curve' tool is far more useful in these matters. It's only downside is that is always creates a new node at the endpoint of the optimization. In other words, it goes from a node to a point on the path not another node on the path.