• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm at a crossroads.

threeputt

Just received an offer from Roland to purchase a warranty on my SP-540V. It's been under the factory warranty for ten months now and will soon be out. (October) Gosh, nearly a year has flown by.

Question is: Do I spend the two grand for 12 months of peace of mind? Or run bare, without it?

How often do these babies break down, and what does the most common breakdown cost? Which part is it, the printhead? Rotary motors? (which by the way are not covered anyway even with the new warranty)

Sure appreciate input from all Roland 540 users out there.

ChiknNutz

Just went thru this myself at the end of July. The advice I got from my tech suggested to NOT get the warranty, based on his assesment of my machine at the time and the cleanliness level that I keep it at. Assuming you keep your machine in good working order and clean it regularly, you may be in the same boat. I personally don't run the machine very hard...I've only now just got onto my 3rd liter of yellow and magenta, 2nd of cyan and still the first black (I'm running a bulk ink system). So, I don't go thru a whole lot at this point. It is a bit of a crap-shoot, but I went with his suggestion...only time will tell if I made a good decision or not.

FYI, you may have the exact same tech as me (Sam, from PCSS in Portland). If so, ask him what he thinks about your machine.

threeputt

Actually my guy Dan is from Performance Sign Supply in Kingston. The bulk ink system sounds intriguing, though. We're plowing through a fair amount of 200's.

ChiknNutz

I got the bulk ink system from Pacific Coast Sign Supply when I got the machine, but NuSign (out of CA) is the primary distributor of the system.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I thought the bulk ink setups voided the warranty anyway. That's what our rep told us.

ChiknNutz

PCSS assured me that they would handle any warranty issues...and they did w/o any problems. Technically, the warranty is voided on the ink system. However, Triangle (the ink mfg) will pick up any warranty issues related to any part the ink touches (i.e. heads).

Threeput - Something to consider. Once out of warranty, they will not allow you to buy extended later. I am personally not a fan of extended warranties, as there is not such thing as free lunch. $2000 can buy a couple of parts, if they were needed.

From what we were told (hearsay), the solvent machines run into problems when they get infrequent use. Dunno, can't say.

$2000 is a lot of piece of mind.

Techman

i had a 2 grand warranty on my encad.. it was used well.... for cleaning and changing the 50 bux in bushings,,
and to chat with the tech now and then...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Extended warranties are never a good deal. Ever. Connivance dealing with broken and worn equipment notwithstanding. This observation is sure to provoke all manner of obscure horror stories telling of how an extended warranty really saved someone's bacon. How they would have been living under a highway overpass if not for their wonderful extended warranty. Do not confuse vivid and/or connivance with common place. It is always interesting to note that the vast majority of these tales are told by those selling warranties who, of course, want to make the exception the rule and scare the crap out of you.

Statistically, for every individual that benefitted from an extended warranty there necessarily were thousands of others that did not. Just like a lottery. If this were not the case, there would be no extended warranties. Or lotteries.

Extended warranties are, percentage wise, an extremely lucrative business for those selling them and a piss poor deal for those buying them. They are not a device to ensure your peace of mind, they are a mechanism to make money for those seling them. I know this because I was, in a past existence, responsible for pricing service contracts for a pair of guys who's initials are H and P.

Simply put if a warranty costs you $X for some time period then it's highly unlikely that you will experience $X worth of violence to what ever it is you're warranting. But wait, say the warranty mongers, if you call for ad hoc service you'll have to pay some apparently hideous rate for labor and materials. So what says you, if that were more profitable than warranties, you wouldn't be offering warranties. Never forget that no one but you has any real concern for your best interests .

Take the chance, it's worth it. It's sort of like betting on both red and black on a roulette wheel. You won't win any money, the odds of losing are minute, and you get to play. If, every now and then, you do lose a chip or two, you're still money ahead of attempting to win, just chalk it up to the actual cost of being there.