• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm broke, can you letter my trailer?

Tim Aucoin

So I'm out back on my drive pad removing the wrap from my truck and a contractor (young "kid" in his early 20's) working across the alley (installing eaves and stuff) comes up to me and asks me if I do stickers and lettering on trailers. I say "sure, is this your trailer"? (as I point to the trailer he is working out of). He says; "no, I work for this guy right now, but bought my own trailer just last week and will be doing my own work starting next month. My trailer is pretty much the same as this one."

He hands me his business card and says he would like his logo huge on the trailer, some lettering telling his services, and maybe some angled stripes to add some color. Looking at his card, I ask him if he's "stuck" on this particular logo or is he open to suggestions for a new design? He says that a friend of his designed this for him and he really likes it and wants to keep it as is. :rolleyes: I say, okay, not a problem. I can work with this! My next question was; "What condition is your "new" trailer in? Is it brand new or used?" His reply; "Well, it has a little hail damage, but you can hardly see it. Other than that, it's brand new." I say "great"... and he continues...
"Yeah, I got $3000 off of the price because of the hail damage which was a sweet deal." "And it's a good thing" he says, "because I'm pretty much broke and have no money, but I've got a lot of work lined up to do once I get the trailer all done up and ready to go, so I'll be able to pay you pretty quick, probably within a month or so ." :doh:

I took a pic of the trailer, told him I'd e-mail him a quote. The quote will boldly state my terms of 50% deposit and 50% due upon installation. These "kids" need to learn also I suppose! Anyhow, I've attached his logo... I'd still like to talk him into something different... but not sure I want to put any time into this at all!

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 73

Jillbeans

The M looks like it has a vulva.
:)
"I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today"
Maybe he will pay up front and get a new logo too, you never know and it doesn't hurt to quote.
Love....Jill

Tim Aucoin

Yeah, I think I'll throw in a few hours design time (separate item) for a logo change just to give him the option and get him thinking!

petepaz

the only good thing is he told you up front that he is broke not that you find out after you started working or once you are finished...good luck with that one

TheSnowman

Yea, don't do CRAP for him till you've got cash in pocket. But you already know that. It just drives me nuts when people talk to me like, "I'll pay you when it's convenient for me" after I busted out a job for them in a hurry.

tattoo.dan

Yea, don't do CRAP for him till you've got cash in pocket. But you already know that. It just drives me nuts when people talk to me like, "I'll pay you when it's convenient for me" after I busted out a job for them in a hurry.

Yes Sir...I am getting pretty disgusted with this as well!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you get to re-do his design, I've only ever heard of an eaves trough.... not one word. That looks clunky.

You missed your chance. When he said he saved $3,000...... you should've quickly said, that's good, because that's just about whet this thing is gonna cost ya.

Stick by your guns 50% down and the balance upon completion..... unless you need some work done around the house, then you can barter.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
We tried financing some vinyl work when we did it. It worked out ok. It's not a bad idea if you have some sort of collateral, can do the work in the off season and can do labor intensive jobs where you material costs are low. Just make sure the up front payment covers your hard costs.

It was a good way to stay busy in the deader months of winter around here and with a little effort we got paid. It wouldn't work for someone who's impatient to get paid though.

It built loyalty too.

as horrid as that logo is, sadly he probably wouldn't want a new friend. For two reasons... he thinks the design is really 'cool' and he wouldn't want to hurt his friend's feelings.

Also at least he was honest, and didn't lead you on to believe he did have the money. At any rate, hope you get a job out of it!

ucmj22

why doesnt he just wait a couple of months until he has completed all these jobs hes talking about and has some cash. Sometimes I want to punch my generation in the face and tell them you cant have everything at once! Damn instant gratification culture we created is building nothing but debt.

Marlene

we worked with a young, start-up-got-no-money kid too a couple of years back. what we did was to letter his trailer in parts. we did the "logo" (I use the term but it was as pretty as your guy's logo) and phone number on one side. he came back for services and then the other side and back. it worked out OK as he paid for what he could afford, we didn't finance any of it and it worked out OK for him. love to say this was a happy ending but the little p***k went to another sign shop once he actually got some money and we haven't seen him since. so lets hop if you work with this guy, he at least remembers who was there for him when he first started out and had no cash unlike my guy...

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
love to say this was a happy ending but the little p***k went to another sign shop once he actually got some money and we haven't seen him since. so lets hop if you work with this guy, he at least remembers who was there for him when he first started out and had no cash unlike my guy...

Loyalty is hard to come by...

Alti-Plotter

...because I'm pretty much broke and have no money...
He is honest and tells you in what financial situation he is, this is a good point.

I took a pic of the trailer, told him I'd e-mail him a quote. The quote will boldly state my terms of 50% deposit and 50% due upon installation. These "kids" need to learn also I suppose! Anyhow, I've attached his logo... I'd still like to talk him into something different... but not sure I want to put any time into this at all!
The quote will not take you a lot of time and you never knows what the future is made of...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We tried financing some vinyl work when we did it. It worked out ok. It's not a bad idea if you have some sort of collateral, can do the work in the off season and can do labor intensive jobs where you material costs are low. Just make sure the up front payment covers your hard costs.

It was a good way to stay busy in the deader months of winter around here and with a little effort we got paid. It wouldn't work for someone who's impatient to get paid though.

It built loyalty too.

we worked with a young, start-up-got-no-money kid too a couple of years back. what we did was to letter his trailer in parts. we did the "logo" (I use the term but it was as pretty as your guy's logo) and phone number on one side. he came back for services and then the other side and back. it worked out OK as he paid for what he could afford, we didn't finance any of it and it worked out OK for him. love to say this was a happy ending but the little p***k went to another sign shop once he actually got some money and we haven't seen him since. so lets hop if you work with this guy, he at least remembers who was there for him when he first started out and had no cash unlike my guy...

To find loyalty these days is far and few between. I came from a time when a handshake and your word was all you needed. Do a good job and they'll keep coming back. All about the honesty and loyalty.

Not so anymore. Today, they'll leave you for 12¢.... and that's not being paranoid. Look at all the shops advertising things for ridiculous prices. They find something cheaper and cheaper and pass these savings onto their customers and with so many people doing stuff over the interent or by phone.... most are shopping price and price only.

Like Marlene said, once they have some money, they don't want to stay with who helped them, because in their eyes, you had them over a barrel and now they repay you by going elsewhere.

Handle just about every quote as if it will be your last and you won't go hungry. Wanna sharpen your pencil, go right ahead, but don't give in on your company policies.

_______

We had a customer that had been coming to us for over 13 years. This past summer, it changed ownership and the new guy had to prove himself a worthy building manager, so he told me how they do business. I said I don't agree with him, but I'll try it. Turned out to be disastrous and I got stung for $675.00. I eventually got it after two months, but when the building manager came in the next time, I told him I ain't doing it his way anymore. He enlightened my by telling me... that's Okay, we're going with someone that will work with us and not rape us.

Got a frantic call last week begging us to come back on the job. Seems his new shop couldn't do anything in any time-frame needed, couldn't match correct colors, fonts or service.... not to mention the main thing..... the other shop's prices went higher than ours after doing the first tenant.

I didn't say a thing except, we'll be in tomorrow and have the stuff back up on the wall by Monday [today] afternoon.

There's no loyalty, just frantic jerks trying to prove something and it only hurts themselves in the end. So, stick to your guns and point to your company policy sign the next time someone asks for a favor or a break.

Dentafrice

I think he could turn out to be one of your most loyal customers. He explained he's broke, and from your post he didn't ask for free services or a discount. He just said he's interested in having it done.

Maybe in the future he'll have yard signs bought through you (most siding people where I live do that).

I would just sit down and talk with him. Ask him what kind of budget he had to work with, and see if you could come up with anything in that budget for now... It doesn't have to be all fancy.. just something in his budget (he'll come back.. trust me).

If he does good work, he has a lot of contacts in his industry... and will always speak good of you (Well so and so at SoandSoSigns sat down with me and helped me get something I could afford, and as soon as work picks up I'm going back and getting bla and bla).

I just think it could pay out for you in the long run :)

At the end of the day, get paid.. but try to help him get what he can afford in his budget, and he'll appreciate that. That's what builds loyalty in my opinion versus quoting him $2,000 and saying that's the best we can do. Because I know I've stuck with the people that have helped me get what I could afford vs. what not.

Marlene

To find loyalty these days is far and few between. I came from a time when a handshake and your word was all you needed. Do a good job and they'll keep coming back. All about the honesty and loyalty.

Not so anymore. Today, they'll leave you for 12¢.... and that's not being paranoid. Look at all the shops advertising things for ridiculous prices. They find something cheaper and cheaper and pass these savings onto their customers and with so many people doing stuff over the interent or by phone.... most are shopping price and price only.

Like Marlene said, once they have some money, they don't want to stay with who helped them, because in their eyes, you had them over a barrel and now they repay you by going elsewhere.

on the flip side, I also have some very nice customers that have been with us for years. most of those didn't ask for any favors. it just seems like the ones that you bend over backwards for are the ones that forget anything nice you did to help them when they needed it. so if you help, just do it in a way that you still get paid. bah humbug...

SignManiac

I find it's much simpler to say politely, "Sorry I can't help you, but thanks for considering us" whenever a client does not fit my profile. I've never regretted turning down work that was questionable in my mind. I prefer being able to focus on the kind of projects I'd rather be selling. There's someone out there for everyone's budget!

Speedsterbeast

I think he could turn out to be one of your most loyal customers. He explained he's broke, and from your post he didn't ask for free services or a discount. He just said he's interested in having it done.

Maybe in the future he'll have yard signs bought through you (most siding people where I live do that).

I would just sit down and talk with him. Ask him what kind of budget he had to work with, and see if you could come up with anything in that budget for now... It doesn't have to be all fancy.. just something in his budget (he'll come back.. trust me).

If he does good work, he has a lot of contacts in his industry... and will always speak good of you (Well so and so at SoandSoSigns sat down with me and helped me get something I could afford, and as soon as work picks up I'm going back and getting bla and bla).

I just think it could pay out for you in the long run :)

At the end of the day, get paid.. but try to help him get what he can afford in his budget, and he'll appreciate that. That's what builds loyalty in my opinion versus quoting him $2,000 and saying that's the best we can do. Because I know I've stuck with the people that have helped me get what I could afford vs. what not.

Well said.
Thankfully I've not been in the business too long, so to me the opportunities still look like opportunities.