• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I'm in such a rut here....

Jillbeans

In my opinion, they are all too "classy" for the guy's type of business.
They would be great as pub signs
(most of them but that arched script on the bottom one is killing me, and the one with the 3D icon which looks like a vajayjay)
I think you need grass green in there. The colors are kind of dark.
I especially like Colin's last suggestion but John's first suggestion is good, too.
Yours are all too pretty, you need something cleaner and ballsier.
Save them and incorporate them into another job.
I think you've confused both the client and yourself with too many options.
Not trying to sound like a beeyotch.
Love.....Jill

striper14

all good designs but they could be selling anything. If the man wants a tractor give him one. You've already got various design elements, triangles, hexagons, banners etc so why not ie the front of a mower with millers as brand name ? stamped metal effect... just my 2c.. but it is getting late

John Butto

money

I agree with ISignon on the money part, because my first thought on the logo was a kind of illustration of a tractor that cuts grass on the highway. To put that together is going to be some time on illustration and study to get the logo looking clean and professional.

signmeup

I like the one in post 12. I thought you could use an element of yours as a blade too.

Attachments

• Millers.jpg
    Millers.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 91

Joe Diaz

A logo needs to be simple? says who? A simple logo needs to be simple, but I have seen many complex yet still easy to read effective logos that have a lot of appeal and leaves a huge impact. Don't limit yourself to ideas like this. Think outside the box. Do what is right for the client.

Nothing irritates me more seeing a large corporate looking brand like at&t's logo being used for a small ma and pa restaurant. It just doesn't fit. Different business call for different looks.

Not all companies are fortune 500 businesses. If a small business is just starting out, people won't automatically know who they are and what they offer. I see absolutely nothing wrong with supportive imagery that helps drive home the message of what that company does, as long as it is done properly and the message is clear. It sure beats the millions of logos out there, trying to be like Nike, with some odd abstract shape that doesn't mean anything at all. It may work for Nike, but not all businesses are Nike, especially most small business.

Logos are supposed to be unique and different. That is the point, to distinguish your business from others. It is easy to say all logos should look one way, It's hard to figure out how to make them all different. I struggle with that all the time.

signswi

As a counter-point Nike didn't develop that logo after they were big. ;) There's no reason small businesses can't have clean marks. Depends on the vision of the business owner--if they want to remain small potatoes forever, give them a small potatoes mark. Legitimately nothing wrong with either approach, the key is in knowing how the client thinks about their business and their plans for the future. The problem of course being that a lot of small business owners are desperation entrepreneurs and don't think all that much about the big picture, but the lack of self-awareness in the small biz community is another thread entirely ;).

Joe Diaz

As a counter-point Nike didn't develop that logo after they were big. ;) There's no reason small businesses can't have clean marks.

Just so there is no misunderstanding, I never said that a small business can't have a "clean" design. In fact, much of what I said is very similar to the rest of your statement about knowing what is right for the client. What I did say is not ALL logos need be "simple" and devoid of imagery, whether you are talking about large corporate brands or small business.

To add to that, I see "clean" and "simple" as being two different things. I'll admit, that it is easy to create a "clean" brand when you shooting for a "simple" design, but there are many logos that aren't simple yet are still very clean. I think people also commonly associate elaborate with cluttered or busy, but that is not always the case. The important thing to know is that elaborate can send a different type of message that may be perfect for certain companies and that is why you shouldn't remove it from your play book. Is it perfect for this lawn-care company? Probably not.

The fact is a logo tells a story. And corporate looking logos send a different message that may not be appropriate for all businesses. In other words a business that is wanting to portray itself as being comfortable, cozy, down to earth, a place where you talk to an actual person and not voice recording, a place where you hire craftsmen, not an automated assembly line, would not want a logo that makes them look like McDonald's. A local law firm that has been providing quality legal services for generations would not want to look like UPS.

The whole point I am making is: don't make up rules for yourself that force you to make all your designs look the same. It may be easy for you, but it may not be what is right for the client.

Marlene

one question, is it Miller's or Millers?
I like the top one the left looks good but if it's Miller's it isn't going to work. what is it that he does? it looks they sharpen lawn mower blades, is that it or is it something else? if you didn't tell what they do, will people know? Joe's post makes good sense.

this too makes sense
As a counter-point Nike didn't develop that logo after they were big. ;) There's no reason small businesses can't have clean marks

the thing with Nike is that the logo is on the product for the most part.

will the Miller's/Millers logo be used in a way that what they do is totally clear or will they be depending on the logo to tell people?

parkedcar

Its miller's.
The first few designs i forgot the ' but i fixed that.

As far as pricing goes, im not getting paid enough on this one. Last year i was offering a package price including logo, cards, signs, vehicle. This is one of those left over jobs. But i'm not letting the fact that i undercharged effect my job.

I like the concepts and advice you guys have posted, thanks!
I made a few revisions and sent em out to the customer. I'm hoping to have more solid direction when he gets back to me, or better yet, a chosen logo.

theoldguy

My 2 cents

!Fred1m.jpg
Ive been working on a logo for this customer for a while now, and i just cant get anything flowing....
Definitely struggling with this one.
They work on mowers, quads, chainsaws, etc.
Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Here's my mess so far.
Thanks.

Dump the script. This is suppose to be a Strong design. A little more like this. Don't give him so much to choose from or he'll just get confused and think you'll work your butt off just to please him.
Parkedcar3.jpg

Colin

theoldguy said:
Don't give him so much to choose from or he'll just get confused and think you'll work your butt off just to please him.

This is good advice, and something which I need to employ more when doing logos. I have been guilty of offering too many designs, and it does indeed usually lead to confusion, and bickering if there's more than one person involved in the deciding. I have lessened options lately, but this is a good reminder.

If you have already offered a bunch of options, a good way to proceed is to use a process of elimination; ask them to delete the one(s) that they like the least. Then continue until you're at the winning design. You can then massage that one with color options etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Agree with the too many choices policy.

miller llc.jpg

I like this one, but I changed the level on the cross-bar in the 'e'. Tilted it up a tad. The angle is still a little off. Also changed some color to be more uniform.

ionsigns

MPP (my personal preference) top right with diamond plate - subliminal for Briggs and Stratton. Not wild about Letterhead font Mower & Performance but still a good hand lettered look. Try a fresh san serif instead of hand letter for Mower & Performance.
Like left column 3rd down with all lower case italic for mower & performance. Good luck.

Dan Antonelli

The primary difference between corporate branding and small business branding is that corporate branding has what a small business doesn't have - and that's a ton of dough TO brand themselves.

Small businesses do not have the same luxury, that's why I am generally always against building a small business brand with a meaningless icon or graphic. Because their logo needs to generally communicate MORE than a corporate brand - simply because they don't have the dollars to keep hammering their name and making it memorable.

I mean think about how simple some brands are on the corporate side. You can brand ANY ridiculous, meaningless symbol so long as you throw enough money at it. On a small business side, they don't have that luxury.

The trick is to avoid the obvious, and create brands that stand out, not fit in.

And Mike, some solid stuff here. You are being hard on yourself. And as Don Draper says, keep this in mind when educating your clients: "At a certain point seduction is over, and force is actually being requested."