Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import psd file with outer glow, outer glow goes solid

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by ricker44, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Why when I Import a psd file into flexi-pro that has an outer glow effect and transparent background, the outer glow turns solid?

Tags:
  2. Techman

Techman Major Contributor

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    before you epxort the psd.. turn that glow or image into a bitmap..

3. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    tech is right, as a .psd file, various "effects" exist as seperate changable, or removable entities. The .psd extension is what you want when you need to retain editability of things such as layers, layer styles etc.

I print out of flexi & just by flattening & saving as a .tif you will lolck in any "effects" as they appeared in the .psd file at the time you chose "save as"

4. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    That's ok but I need the outer glow to fade off into the transparent background

5. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    Why does it have to be transparent?

6. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    The background calls for a color match that I've printed before straight out of flexi

7. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    I would just export it as a tiff with that background color done in photoshop

8. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I will most likely do it that way. I just don't know if the colors will be the same but I'll try it and see.

9. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    vector vs. tiff - colors usually print different.

10. madisonsignguy

madisonsignguy Member

Jun 19, 2005
    I would think it will be fine, I have done it just lke that before and never had a problem.

11. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Also this for a 53' trailer wrap and I didn't want a huge file for flexi PM to rip

12. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    print a cmyk chart of process colors on your printer & then print the vector swatch you need to match. Line up with the best cmyk match & incorporate that background color into your .tif file.

You't not going to print & install in one piece anyway, so tile your panels in photoshop & then you can send (& rip) in smaller sections.

13. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    take into flexi and remove the back grund with the magic wand..

14. iSign

iSign Major Contributor

Nov 29, 2003
    Kahului, Maui
    I've done that tech... maybe I need to play with tolerances... but I've ended up with a sharp drop off... never a nice fade-to-nothing like you can get in photoshop. Have you had better luck?

15. Techman

Jun 24, 2003
    michigan
    wel. I havent done psd to flexi in a long time,, dont remember exactly ,, but seems to me that faded drops can be done in flexi anyway..
    You have a gradient tab,, yes?

16. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    With all due respect to the poster, please dont do this..

there are more approriate solutions..

A. Flexi Pro does not support the transparency created in Photoshop

B. create a background layer which is the same color as the background you are using in flexi, and save as a .tif, dont "write layers" when you save and the file will be much smaller.

C. the magic wand tool should be removed from every graphics software program made, very rough and not up to the professional level of expertise Ive come to expect from this community.

//rant

17. ricker44

ricker44 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your input. What I did and it worked great is...........

1) Created my artwork in Photoshop with the outerglow.
    2) In FLexi I have the correct background color from a previous job for the same customer so I took the cmyk color chart, exported it as a postscript eps, opened it in Photshop, flattened it, saved it as tiff, brought it back in Flexi, Printed it, Matched background color on chart.
    3) Added a background to the artwork in Photoshop (color matched from chart), flattened it, saved it as a tiff, took it back to Flexi, laid it on top of the 98"x650" (vector) background field, Did a eye dropper for back-up.
    4) Masked off a section, printed it and it looks great.

Thanks isign and Mason, all our thinkers worked it out.