• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Import Vector art to Photoshop

Graphics2u

I am comepletely new to photoshop and I can not figure out how to import vector artwork, either .eps .ai or .pdf into photoshop without out it automatically rasterizing it into a bitmap. I want to be able to maintain the vector editing capabiliities in photoshop. Is there a way to do this and I'm just dumb, or is it not possible.

Thanks

GK

You can literally copy and paste the vector artwork into Photoshop as a SmartObject. That way if you want to use it in a vector based program later its still editable by its nodes.

high impact

Sorry, this can't be done, you can not edit vector in photoshop. You'll need to use Illustrator to edit vector objects.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
You can copy / paste from Illustrator into Photoshop and Photoshop will then ask you whether you want the result to be pixels, a smart object or paths.

GK

Sorry, this can't be done, you can not edit vector in photoshop. You'll need to use Illustrator to edit vector objects.

Not entirely true. You can paste the object in as a path or a shape layer. The nodes will remain editable but it will all be laid out in wire frame basically until you fill the paths with color, but it can still be done.

Fuzzbuster

PHOTOSHOP is bitmap software illustrator is vector

PS

Better change youre

Being Self-Employed is GREAT!! You can work any 12hrs. of the day you want to! to

Youcan work 24 hrs a day and still break even:tongue:

high impact

Not entirely true. You can paste the object in as a path or a shape layer. The nodes will remain editable but it will all be laid out in wire frame basically until you fill the paths with color, but it can still be done.

Really???

I'm going to have to try this! Don't know why I would need to but I'll have to try it.

On second thought, why would one NEED to do vector editing in photoshop? What is the benefit?

GK

Really???

I'm going to have to try this! Don't know why I would need to but I'll have to try it.

On second thought, why would one NEED to do vector editing in photoshop? What is the benefit?

The only time I really find myself using this feature is to do a layer style or effect in Photoshop on a particular layer that cannot be done in Illustrator so I can move it right into Illustrator and retain the same cut contours that are set up.

GK

The first one was a vector piece pasted from Illustrator as a Smart Object then rasterized. The second one was pasted as a path.

Attachments

• path_rastered.jpg
    path_rastered.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 83

Pro Image

PHOTOSHOP is bitmap software illustrator is vector

PS

Better change youre

Being Self-Employed is GREAT!! You can work any 12hrs. of the day you want to! to

Youcan work 24 hrs a day and still break even:tongue:

Well looks like all the blood has run out of your head............Maybe go fly upside down again.............

:popcorn:

Graphics2u

Thanks Fred and George Kern for the only reasonable responses to my post!

To the rest of you did you notice
I am comepletely new to photoshop

Got to love the way so many people on this board feel they are so superior to the rest of mankind.

Graphics2u

The reason I asked was that I know you can draw lines in Photoshop and edit nodes and change their shape. So i wondered if I could do that with artwork I already have created in a vector format after it is brought in to Photoshop.

high impact

I'm a photoshop newb as well...I never realized you could even do this! I learned something as well in this post. So...thank you.

Careful who you call out as being "superior to the rest of mankind". I understand that some talk big on this forum but others do not - we are just learning!

I do not consider myself the former - I know more than some and a lot less than others AND I learn everyday with an open mind. ;-)

Graphics2u

Careful who you call out as being "superior to the rest of mankind". I understand that some talk big on this forum but others do not - we are just learning!

Sorry High Impact, Wasn't refering to your post. I just thought that i explained very well that I don't know much about photoshop. but the first 2 replies I get are slams! I'm a pretty easy going guy but I didn't think those were warranted. No harm meant to you.

4R Graphics

I dont recall the exact method but I remember seeing a tutorial where you can design in illustrator then export I think to photoshop with the place command as a smart object and you can adjust in illustrator and it will auto update in photoshop. Ill have to find that again. So that way you can do all the wonderfully easy things with vector in illustrator and use photoshop to get some of the effects you just cant do in illustrator.

GK

I dont recall the exact method but I remember seeing a tutorial where you can design in illustrator then export I think to photoshop with the place command as a smart object and you can adjust in illustrator and it will auto update in photoshop. Ill have to find that again. So that way you can do all the wonderfully easy things with vector in illustrator and use photoshop to get some of the effects you just cant do in illustrator.

Very simple process, if you have your Smart Object selected in the Layers Palette, double-click the Smart Object icon on that layer, it will open Illustrator, edit your file in Illustrator, click Save and go back into Photoshop...the file will update according to your last changes in Illustrator. Make sure you close out the Illustrator file after the changes because if you try it again it won't update and it will try and use the old change because it opens up a temporary file.

Sign_Boy

A good book to get on PS is Photoshop WOW.

You might find it helpful even if it's just to reference once in a while.

Graphics2u

Very simple process, if you have your Smart Object selected in the Layers Palette, double-click the Smart Object icon on that layer, it will open Illustrator, edit your file in Illustrator, click Save and go back into Photoshop...the file will update according to your last changes in Illustrator. Make sure you close out the Illustrator file after the changes because if you try it again it won't update and it will try and use the old change because it opens up a temporary file.

I'll try this, sounds like it might be what I want.

Thanks