• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Import Vector art to Photoshop

Service Sign Co

Sorry High Impact, Wasn't refering to your post. I just thought that i explained very well that I don't know much about photoshop. but the first 2 replies I get are slams! I'm a pretty easy going guy but I didn't think those were warranted. No harm meant to you.
I owe you an apology for that remark, I obviously had no idea that was possible. Learn something every day

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Before reading Day's apology (good form by the way Day-hey, that rhymed) I was thinking that quite a few power users take very little time really getting into the added features of every upgrade and get a little too comfortable using it like an enhanced version 3. I'm still getting used to CS3 for the 2 1/2 weeks that i had made the total switch. The tutorial on the Adobe site and Lynda.com are great for the newest features of the ugrades and I highly suggest lynda.com for the newbie PS, Illy and Corel user.

GK

Before reading Day's apology (good form by the way Day-hey, that rhymed) I was thinking that quite a few power users take very little time really getting into the added features of every upgrade and get a little too comfortable using it like an enhanced version 3. I'm still getting used to CS3 for the 2 1/2 weeks that i had made the total switch. The tutorial on the Adobe site and Lynda.com are great for the newest features of the ugrades and I highly suggest lynda.com for the newbie PS, Illy and Corel user.

Aside from Lynda.com being some of the best money you can spend for learning, I would highly suggest becoming a member of the NAPP (National Association of Photoshop Professionals) The discounts they provide pay for the membership fee. Not to mention they had a discount a while back for a Lynda.com subscription...so it may be worthwhile looking into. You get a free subscription to Photoshop User magazine and for another $25 or so you get a subscription to Layers magazine.

onesmf

Check out karbosguide.com for a tutorial on Photoshop. It certainly is a quick way to familiarize yourself with Photoshop and many of its functions.

GARY CULY

gr 2 u ..im pretty lame at p.s. also ,,but i can get the job done ,if its not real complicated ...i try to get all the VECTOR work done before taking any image into p.s. i just concider once its in p.s. its "locked" ..and cant come back to work on ...just always take a second and THINK ,,copy it so you always keep your vectors ...then if it dont do right in p.s. you have the origional vector to work on still ...hope this helps ..now the real swift in p.s have lots of tricks nd know where tools are to do most anything ,you can get very good effects without much knowledge in p.s. best suggestion i can give is go to BORDERS [or another book store] divvy up a little dough and get a manual....

Mason

Listen, if youre using CS3, you can paste the vector into PS as a smart object, you have obviously saved the Vector artwork, you can edit the vector artwork in Illustrator save your changes and it will automatically update the smart object in PS.

Mason

Smart object is like linking the object?

Any changes to the object will be updated all the time?
Works everytime as long as you save the changes in the original Ai document.
You dont need to "link" the object, as a Smart Object it creates the link all on its own being you know "Smart" and all..

GK

Listen, if youre using CS3, you can paste the vector into PS as a smart object, you have obviously saved the Vector artwork, you can edit the vector artwork in Illustrator save your changes and it will automatically update the smart object in PS.

CS2 will allow this as well (just for anyone without CS3 and don't think they have the capabilities to do this)

mekazilla

I can't figure out why people think you can't vector in photoshop.
I must be a little backwards, I mostly use Photoshop for vectorizing artwork. I find the nodes and pen tools to be a bit smoother to work with than in illy. If theres a bunch of text and layout then I always use illy but if I'm working with photo's it's easier to manipulate in photoshop.
Here's one I'm working on for some art on my shop wall. It's all vector masked layers for each color. Still have about 6 more colors to add. It'll be all cut vinyl about 5'x6'.
All in photoshop save it as EPS and open right in signlab ready to cut.

Attachments

• GT40-Gulf-4photo.jpg
    GT40-Gulf-4photo.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 92
  • GT40-Gulf-4new.jpg
    GT40-Gulf-4new.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 97

R08

Hmmm... Corel Photopaint has a line feature in it and you can edit curves as well. That gives me an idea!!