• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Importing EPS to Omega...??

Tim Aucoin

I couldn't find any specific info on this after doing a search, so I'm gonna post the question, put on my armor and hope for some help! :covereyes: Keep in mind, I've had my Gerber (Edge FX) for a very short time now and am still learning the in's & out's!

When I import a decal file that I saved as EPS from Illustrator, it doesn't seem to be printing very "crisp"... like it's printing as a raster rather than vector. I am using Omega 3 and selecting the EPS Vector import filter. One particular job had text at around 14pt. which looked terrible. Just for curiosity sake, I upped the resolution from 300 x 300 to 600 x 300, even though (I thought) the file should be printing as a vector and this shouldn't matter. The type looked much better, yet still a little rough. :banghead:

I'm pretty sure I'm just missing a step in either the import step or I am doing something wacky when I save the Illustrator EPS file. Any ideas?

Billct2

I think the error is made when you're saving as EPS in AI, sounds like it's making it a raster file.
Import it into omega and see if it's outlines or an image.

threeputt

Agree with Billct. Not all .eps files are vector.

Secondly, just a side question, but you're using Omega and Illustrator? There both basically draw programs. And both very good for vector stuff.

I would think Omega would import the Illustrator file and run it cleanly, no bugs.

Tim Aucoin

Thanks for the reply's... I'll check into that. My designer works in Illy and saves everything for me in EPS whether it's going to the Gerber or the Roland..... I'll try this same file by bringing in the AI file to Omega and see what happens... I'll post back in a few minutes... Thanks again! :thankyou:

petepaz

i have an older version of omega software for our Gerber edge
and i have always had issues importing files except for pdf files those are usually fine
no scaling, no distortion

Marlene

you can select individual letters and look at the points. are the strokes smooth or is there a ton of points used to make a curve or line? the issue may be in the font used in the other program.

Tim Aucoin

Okay... did a couple tests, including just typing some text in Omega composer and outputting. I think my expectations are just too high for thermal technology! :doh: At arms length, they look fine, but the printer in me always looks through a loupe, which I've yet to see a customer do!! Meanwhile, I'll make sure I'm importing Illy vectors and not rasters! Thanks again for the responses...

Billct2

I still think you have something wrong, my old Edge does letters with very sharp edges, though I don't look at them with a loupe, they look fine close up.

signpro

Manager
Open file in Illy
Export as Illustrator Legacy
save as Illustrator Version 3.0

in Omega,
Import File
find file, import.

that's what i do all the time for vector or eps files from Illustrator to Omega. did it today, worked like a champ

Tim Aucoin

Just when I think I'm out.... they PULL me back in! :ROFLMAO: Yeah, in the back of my mind, I think I can do better... I'm gonna run with what I got for the jobs due today, but you're right... I think there's still an issue. I'll get to the bottom of it if it means pulling all my hair out! :frustrated:Oh, wait a minute... I don't have any hair!!... Thanks Billct...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Omega 3 sports several different EPS choices for import. You also have any number of choices for the version your save in Illustrator.

Try saving in a legacy version around 9 or 10 from Illustrator and then experiment with the different choices in the import dialog of Omega until you find a combination that pleases you.