• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Impossible Deadline?

jiarby

Just got a call at 3:30pm from my PO Box lady... She said there was a customer there looking for me.

Uh Oh.. that is never good. He is there to pick up an order. I did not make his order.

We put in a quote for a large awards job, about $4500 a month ago, but never heard back. This usually means that we did not get the bid.

I guess we did... but no one ever told us and no one ever sent a PO.

The event is tomorrow. He needs the stuff by 11am. I immediately called my vendor (that closes at 5pm, and is almost an hour away) and they agreed to hang out until I get there.

None of the material is in stock... We have to make executive decisions on substitutions. BUT... at least I have all the parts now in stock.

Now I have to burn the midnight oil. At least we picked up a nice job that I had already written off but I am not sure we can make the time line.

There is nothing an awards company can do worse than being late for an event. Hundreds of kids on the poidum sucking air while every adult and coach in the stadium complains about me.

And it wasn't even my fault!

cdiesel

I'd be thinking about an upcharge!

What happened with the order? Did they say that they contacted you guys before?

Custom_Grafx

Ouch!

What process? I would start doing my calculations and see what could be/could not be done first.

If I was local maybe I could have helped... is there anyone local you can sub out to on short notice?

jiarby

What happened with the order? Did they say that they contacted you guys before?

He said he thought the purchasing dept sent the PO, but because he is using student club money instead of district moolah they just send the PO# directly to him. He is supposed to send it to me. I have not heard a peep since sending the quote a month ago. The district purchasing folks say they sent the PO to the custy on 3-11. That would have been plenty of time even if we have to order out of state parts.

is there anyone local you can sub out to on short notice?

No, there is no one that do anything with less than 18 hours notice!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
This would be a great time to have one of those live streaming cams' like the guy set up in the mall.

Good luck with it.

wayne k
guam usa

J

john1

Who cares, suck it up and get it done. Who else makes $4500 in 1 day in this business? Take advantage!

GypsyGraphics

really cool to see someone doing whatever it takes to get the job done!

i hope they appreciate you going above and beyond for them!

jiarby

This would be a great time to have one of those live streaming cams' like the guy set up in the mall.

Man would that be boring to watch... this is tedious repetitive work!

heyskull

Are you sure this client hasn't been let down by someone else and is just ditching the job on you?
I have had this before and it turned out it was not my fault the order never went through.
If I was the client I wouldn't be leaving it till the day before to be checking everything is in place!!
Something smells fishy here!

SC

jiarby

no.. I know from talking to the purchasing folks that he submitted the PO Request about 3 weeks ago and it was approved 2 weeks ago. He just thought they also sent it to me. I thought I lost the bid when I didn't hear.

I should have followed up.

anyway.... we are about half way done.

iSign

Well, I just thought I'd say hello from a timezone still on yesterday's time, and wise you a successful allnighter!! I pull a lot of those myself!
Good Luck!!

jiarby

ok... 2:42am here.

Got this job 11 hrs ago. It is 3/4 done. Getting tired, but we will do another hour or so than nap for a few hours & get up in the early am. We will have 4-5 hrs in the am to do.

jiarby

3:11am,

All done for tonight! Everything we have to deliver tomrrow is done. Just gotta box it all up and get everything organized to deliver. Then there is a bunch of big 4 column trophies and plaques, but those are not needed until Saturday. The pressure is off!

CanuckSigns

Congrats on getting stuff done on time!

I absolutely hate the awards end of our business, suppliers never have stock of what your customer picked from the catalog (it's on a boat from China now, should be here is 6-8 weeks, if it doesn't arrive broken) The customers always take up sooo much of your time looking through every catalog you have and picking awards.