• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

In need of Health discipline...where do I go?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
The top three diseases that run in my family are heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes. Each poses their own unique threat, but when teamed up together the synergy produced by those "multiple morbidities" is extremely bad.

As for me, so far, so good on all three accounts. I'm 46 years old and my current downfall is the 50 pounds that need to go ASAP. On the hot days like we've been having, I feel like a slug...low energy...and low enthusiasm...so I need to begin making progress, and the sooner the better.

My only vice is soda pop, and trying to kick that habit has been kicking my arse. It's 90% mental, but the fizz on the tongue, and the caffeine tickle on the brain sure works wonders at the end of a stressful day.

So, this question is for the health conscious "old" guys out there: Where can I go on the web to find a realistic health regimen for strength and conditioning...and eating healthy...and encouragement for sticking with it?

Much appreciated,

Jim

Arlo Kalon 2.0

The top three diseases that run in my family are heart disease, kidney disease and diabetes. Each poses their own unique threat, but when teamed up together the synergy produced by those "multiple morbidities" is extremely bad.

As for me, so far, so good on all three accounts. I'm 46 years old and my current downfall is the 50 pounds that need to go ASAP. On the hot days like we've been having, I feel like a slug...low energy...and low enthusiasm...so I need to begin making progress, and the sooner the better.

My only vice is soda pop, and trying to kick that habit has been kicking my arse. It's 90% mental, but the fizz on the tongue, and the caffeine tickle on the brain sure works wonders at the end of a stressful day.

So, this question is for the health conscious "old" guys out there: Where can I go on the web to find a realistic health regimen for strength and conditioning...and eating healthy...and encouragement for sticking with it?

Much appreciated,

Jim

bodyrx.com

signmeup

Join a gym and DO something. You won't do anything on your own. You can drink your fizzy drinks and lose the fat if you get active. I eat like a teenager... and drink beer.

I started TKD at 43. I can kick the ass of an 18 year old now (I'm 51). Try that.

WildWestDesigns

The problem with any place that you find on the web, they are going to be talking in generalities. You really have to know what works with you. If you have to go total withholding of your vices then you have to do that (this does not work for everyone, this is what i had to do), if you can ween yourself off of it, then go that route. I was 80 lbs overweight, a year of eating one meal, doing aerobics 40 minutes every day I'm now within a 200-210 weight range. For someone that is 6'3" I think that's good.

I have heart issues running through my family, so I have to be pretty vigilant about that.

You really have to know what works with you and stick to that.

Mike F

What's your diet like and how active are you? A few tips off the top of my head...

-Don't bother going out and buying weights or a bowflew or whatever, you can get perfectly fit with body weight exercises and a few simple pieces of exercise equipment (resistance bands, jumprope, etc.).

-Always make sure you don't work out on an empty stomach, your body goes into fat storing mode and actually burns muscle because it doesn't have anything to feed off of. http://lifehacker.com/5817306/eat-before-you-work-out-to-burn-fat-without-losing-muscle

-don't bother with protein shakes and crap like that, instead drink a glass of chocolate milk after working out. It makes you burn more fat and gain more muscle. http://lifehacker.com/5815625/the-best-post+exercise-drink-chocolate-milk

-Instead of 3 big meals a day, eat 5 smaller meals a day. breakfast, a snack, lunch, a snack, then dinner, or breakfast, lunch, a snack, dinner, and then a snack if you're like me and get the munchies at night. leave around 3 hours give or take between each meal/snack. This way your body always has food to burn and it won't store fat as aggressively as meals spread farther apart.

-Nuts & seeds are your friend, especially almonds. A handful or two of almonds every day will help you lose weight. Peanuts, walnuts, and sunflower seeds are good for you in general as well. I actually keep a ziplock bag of almonds, sunflower kernels (seeds with the shell already removed), and walnuts here at work and that's what I eat during the day since I don't take a lunch.

-A glass of ice water with a slice of lemon or lemon juice in it. Your body has to warm up the water to ingest it, which burns (minimal, around 17) calories, and the lemon juice has a few benefits which are described here: http://www.outofstress.com/lemon-water-lose-weight/

John Butto

Your first mistake is asking this forum about health. Every time you go on someone is having their heart or guts worked on or taken out. You know how to lose the weight but are looking for an easy way or sympathy. So start walking and eat right and every time you want a soda, have sex, it is better for your health.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Go see a dietician, eat more fiber and drink more water. You gotta eat different is the bottom line.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Mike F hit it pretty good. Keep your body in constant motion within itself and you'll keep the plumbing working just fine. The right kind of exercise and get rid of the sodas.

We now make our own soda. Carbonated water, some fresh squeezed fruits, agave and you have one heck of a great drink.

Since late December, I've now lost about 18lbs. or so through careful eating and less carbs and absolutely no sodas. My doctor is happy and said all of my numbers are in complete harmony except my glucose which is still a little high.

Just realize one thing... there's no 'quick or magic fix'. You need to cooperate and be responsible for your own choices.

mikefine

Check out www.drlife.com. I recently read his book and was really impressed and inspired to start some changes myself. Dr. Life is 72 years young (real doctor) and he is built like he is 22-- with washboard stomach. But don't be intimidated. It's written for middle-ages guys like us -- not an Oprah Book of the Month type thing. It has lots of material on reverse aging, hormones, etc. I think this is exactly what you are looking for. If anything, just check out the cover of his book -- his photos of before and after of himself are pretty amazing and inspiring.

WrapperX

You'll lose 10-15lbs by just cutting out the pop. There's sooo much sugar in pop, so sweet...with its fun bubbles, the burst of flavor as it pours down your throat...you can actually feel the enamel on your teeth disolving...the fizzing up your nose...the surge/rush of energy as the sugar and caffine mix and rush to your brain....oohhh maann - I'm gonna go get a Mt. Dew out of our Pop machine right NOW - I'll be right back!

WrapperX

....and every time you want a soda, have sex, it is better for your health.

I can picture it now..."Oh man, I'm hungry - Hey Hunny! We gotta go have sex RIGHT NOW or else I'm gonna continue to gain weight!"

Something tells me that this won't necessarily put the wife in the mood...:noway:

Checkers

Come on now, if you're serious about your health, you wouldn't be posting questions on a sign forum.

Nobody can coax, persuade or force you to make changes to your lifestyle to insure you live longer if you're not willing to commit to the change yourself.

But, before you entertain any programs or changes, your first stop should be your physician. He or she can make some recommendations - that won't kill you - based upon your current health condition. I'm sure your doctor will tell you the usual b.s. - eat right and exercise. But, the rest is solely up to you.

That being said, Weight Watchers does have an excellent program and support group that, if you follow it, you will lose weight. It is based upon Mike's multiple meals and snacks.

Or, if you want to loose the 50 lbs quick, do like I did and get a part-time job at UPS loading trucks. I lost 40 lbs in about 3 months - and I thought I was in shape.

Seriously though, talk to your doctor first before you entertain anything.

Checkers

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks for the help. Those old guys with washboard abs are an inspiration.

Hey...wait a minute...I also have washboard abs....somewhere under that pile of laundry.

Jim

OldPaint

DISCOVER CANADA DRY .........FLAVORED SELTZER WATER. got all the FIZZ, of soda, ZERO, FAT, CALORIES, SUGAR!!!!!! it what i used to kick my DIET COKE habit. some other companies make similar product, look for SYFO...hers a trick for ya. take a 16 oz can of soda, pour in a big container. now get a 1 liter bottle of SELTZER water, and add 12-16 oz of that to soda. now you twice the volum but HALF THE SUGAR!!!!

KICK THE WHITE STUFF!!! bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, pasta.
MODIFIED ADKINS approach, lean chicken, turkey, beef & pork, plenty of fish(not shrimp)broiled or baked. add in COMPLEX CARBS....Lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, cukes, onions, garlic. most any leafy greens. stay away from CORN, high starch like potatoes.
WALK!!!!!! i did this and dropped 30 pound. was doing good at weight loss and i attribute that loss of weight to my still being here. i still had a heart attack, but if i woulda had it at 290.........instead of 260, i dont belive i would be here. 12 days in the hospital, 6-7 of them i was comatose, helped me shed another 30 POUNDS!!!!! when i left the hosptial i was 230, had skin hangin and had to stop the weight loss. HELLO DORITOES, FROSTY'S FRENCH FRIES!!!!! hehehehehehehe. got it stopped and put back on 15 pound eating that crap. just show you how fast it can go back up......eating JUNK FOOD. i feel better, but now am going back to above eating so i can drop back to 225-230, without losing muscle.

Colin

Simple. Calories in vs calories burned. You, me, we all need to exercise, (which needs to include a sustained elevated heart-rate for a min of 30 minutes) and the key is to find something that you enjoy doing. For me, you couldn't pay me to do the mind-numbing gym routine, but I discovered cycling over 20 years ago, and I'm addicted; it's the only sport that ever grabbed me, and I'm now fitter at 49 than I was in high school. I recently did a 140 km (90 mile) ride in just over 4 hours, and this included some nasty climbs. Whether it be mountain biking or road, it is a sport/exercise that you can do into old age as it doesn't pound the body like many running sports.

You must change your diet. There are no "magic foods", simply eliminate those pops, and eat well, and don't over-eat. There is something to be said for the "calorie restricted" diet (Google that).

WildWestDesigns

Simple. Calories in vs calories burned. You, me, we all need to exercise, (which needs to include a sustained elevated heart-rate for a min of 30 minutes).

I'm pretty sure it's a min. of 20 min before you body goes into "fat burning" mode.

Anything 50 min on over is overkill as it falls under diminishing marginal utility.

It's also better to do things in spurts. Quick spurts. That's actually what our bodies were made to do before we stopped hunting for our foods.

You want to have elevated heart rate, but you want to go really quick for a min. then go a little slower for a min, then go fast for a min. etc.