• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inexpensive Plotter Paper

NotADesigner

Of all the things I have for my printer (Epson S70), we don't have "cheap paper".

Specifically I'm looking for something for printing architectural blueprints that is inexpensive and compatible with our eco solvent inks. Everything we have now is too pricy to be used for this type of printing, in my opinion.

What type of media would you use for this purpose, and what's the cost per sq. ft (roughly)? And where should I start looking if my normal supplier doesn't carry anything of the sort?

mattcook8150

Plotter paper

I sent you a PM, please feel free to contact me and I can help send you in the right direction. There are so many options sometimes it can become overwhelming and it's good to have someone who knows the products who can offer some advice.

J Hill Designs

I sent you a PM, please feel free to contact me and I can help send you in the right direction. There are so many options sometimes it can become overwhelming and it's good to have someone who knows the products who can offer some advice.

maybe...

offer the advice IN the thread rather than in PM

welcome from cali :thumb:

OldPaint

did ya ever think about.............meat wrapping paper? or autobody masking paper??? most janitorial supply will carry big rolls of white meat wrap paper. 18", 24" or 30" wide..........i buy it for making pounce patterns and when we have family gatherings..get the roll out, lay it out on a table, throw on a box a crayons, some felt tip colored pens............KIDS LOVE IT!!!!! some one wants a cheap paper banner.........pen plot it and tell to get magic markers and color it in)))))))))))))))))))

mattcook8150

Advice

J Hill Designs....no worries, I can do that for all to see!

I recommend either of two products created by SIHL. The 3686 and the 3689.

The 3686 TriSolv Paper, which is a 200 GSM glossy, 8 mil paper that comes in the following sizes. This Primeart Paper has a great white point, is semi-scratch resistant and folds/rolls well without wrinkling or cracking.

30" x 20'
30" x 165'
42" x 165'
54" x 165'
60" x 165'
63" x 165'

The 3689 TriSolv paper is a 135 GSM wet strength paper that is compatible with solvent printers, as well (Epson S70). This has a little bit better white point than the 3686, is 6 mil, has a satin finish, and has much better scratch/scuff resistance (my recommendation). Also good for architectural prints because it rolls and folds very well. Please see the following sizes below:

30"x 20'
30" x 200'
42" x 200'
54" x 200'
60" x 200'
63" x 200'

Retail prices aren't too high on these, but because I work for a dealer for SIHL, we can get you pricing well below retail. Just let me know which one suits your fancy and we can get you a free sample sent your way, no cost at all to you. Try the samples and let me know what you think.

Guys...I am always an open book of information (it's my job)...i just tend to deal with people in person because its easier to get more information about the application when you are having a one on one conversation.

LittleSnakey

We used to use 20lb translucent bond paper in the printer when I worked in engineering.
The translucent paper allows them to make blue prints not just photo copies.
Its not as durable as vellum but much cheaper.
Lexjet is having a big sale on printer paper.

NotADesigner

Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, but I've only found media as low as $.16/sq. ft. I see rolls of inexpensive bond paper on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's the lowest quality we can go with the eco solvent printer. I don't want to ruin it by running crap through there!

The job we were looking at was I think $68 for 19 x 34" x 44" prints. We were seeing what just our costs would be for something like that. The customer really only need something similar to maybe a 70 lb. text weight paper, but obviously we can't run that size on our digital copier.

Stupid question time: Is there an equivelant to a #70 text or close to it that can be run through the printer? Or is that not possible due to the eco solvent inks?

LittleSnakey

http://www.lexjet.com/p-1841-HP-Tra...Mvi2a-D18ACFSbl7AodiyIAYA&CA_6C15C=1087614949

Lexjet is .06/sqft

Maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, but I've only found media as low as $.16/sq. ft. I see rolls of inexpensive bond paper on Amazon, but I'm not sure what's the lowest quality we can go with the eco solvent printer. I don't want to ruin it by running crap through there!

The job we were looking at was I think $68 for 19 x 34" x 44" prints. We were seeing what just our costs would be for something like that. The customer really only need something similar to maybe a 70 lb. text weight paper, but obviously we can't run that size on our digital copier.

Stupid question time: Is there an equivelant to a #70 text or close to it that can be run through the printer? Or is that not possible due to the eco solvent inks?

NotADesigner

That is what I was looking for :) Would it work for a solvent printer? I assume with low ink coverage (it's just text and line drawings), it would be okay?

Nevermind, Epson tech said the ink would eat through it. I don't really want to find out for myself...

Solvent ink (including eco-solvent) does not produce any type of salable (remotely acceptable) image quality when put onto raw paper stock. The ink wicks into the paper, lines lose detail and color becomes diffused and muddy. Solvent inks need to react with coatings that are applied to the print surface (typically latex coatings) in manufacturing, and these coatings keep the ink on the surface of the media. The coatings also raise the cost of the paper by a considerable amount, because the coatings need to be engineered to react specifically with solvent ink.

Other coated papers are purpose-built for aqueous ink sets (HP, Canon, Epson etc), and these also do not react well with solvent inks.

Latex ink is the most paper-compatible ink that I know of, and I have successfully printed on aqueous coated, solvent coated, and completely uncoated bond papers with that ink. The cheapest paper that I have profiled and successfully printed on with Latex ink is ULine butcher paper that runs about .02 cents per square foot.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Of all the things I have for my printer (Epson S70), we don't have "cheap paper".

Specifically I'm looking for something for printing architectural blueprints that is inexpensive and compatible with our eco solvent inks. Everything we have now is too pricy to be used for this type of printing, in my opinion.

What type of media would you use for this purpose, and what's the cost per sq. ft (roughly)? And where should I start looking if my normal supplier doesn't carry anything of the sort?

If your pricing model is anywhere near realistic then the difference between $.16/ft^2 and $.00/ft^2 should be lost in the grass. Blueprints on a large format solvent printer make zero economic sense, other than as some sort of one off emergency life saver. If you're charging a reasonable amount based on your equipment then, compared to a vanilla blueprint shop you're raping your client. If you're not, then you're wasting your equipment which has a finite life span.