• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inflation Versus Interest Rates

I went to usa this weekend - still here as I'm typing!

It seems like inflation has hit you guys really really hard. 12 packs of coke are on sale for $8.... 12 reg price. I came out of Fred Meyers with 2 bags of groceries and a floor mat and it came to $275! I used to be able to fill the back of my SUV up with 10 bags for under $200.

Just got 2x 2 item meals at panda Express with 2 drinks and it was $28....

Groceries have been raising a little bit in Canada - used to buy 12 packs of coke for $3 and now they go on sale for $4-$4.50... but nothing like I'm seeing in wa.

I know it's only a matter of time before Canada gets hit this hard as well... Never been through a "recession" / inflation situation like this before, at least not that I remember... I think a lot of Canada is going to be in for a shock
Yes, while our news outlets report inflation is only in the 8% range, that is because our government keeps changing the way they calculate inflation... If you used calculations from previous years our rate would be much higher. It's similar to the way the government has been reporting unemployment as record lows, but the reality is our non participation rate is off the charts compared to years past and the number of able people who SHOULD be working is dramatically lower than in years past. Both sides have benefited (Trump claimed 1.9% inflation with similar calculation rates), but the current admin is very bad.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
The problems our nation is now experiencing have literally been decades in the making. Price inflation in categories like housing, health care, child day care and college tuition have been well above average wage gains and the so-called "core CPI" rate for many years. America's economy has very little sense of balance. There are absurd examples of pricing excess all over the place. The falling labor participation rate lately is a side effect of this.

Lots of older workers left the work force by choice, particularly people working service industry jobs. Some quit due to the global pandemic (SARS-CoV-2 definitely kills more older people than anyone else). Others quit due to workplace issues, like customers being violent @$$holes. It sucks enough for an elderly person to work a low wage job just to stay busy. If you don't like your co-workers or boss and are worried some angry psycho customer might punch your lights out why even bother leaving the house? It's easier to make some cut backs and just live off Social Security and pension payments.

The high rates of inflation on food, fuel, rent, etc are forcing some elderly people to return to the work force. Social Security payments will get a 8.7% COLA increase in 2023. That will make it a little easier for elderly people who chose to quit to stay quit.

A little over half of America's population is women. And women represent a big part of the nation's work force. Lots of mothers with young children have been sidelined due to child care costs, among other factors. A lot of single mothers are stuck in a catch-22 situation. If they take jobs they see government benefits slashed to near nothing. Trying to raise kids while living on welfare is a pretty rough existence. Young people are pretty aware of that, which is one reason why the teen pregnancy rate is only one third what is was in 1990.

There are lots of young almost-adults in the US living pretty aimless lives with no vision of a future -other than maybe some fairy Godmother arriving with her magic wand to turn them into the movie stars and rock gods they idolize. They can't afford to move out of their parents' house or if they do move out their "home" is a couch at a friend's house.

Our nation's service sector economy is pretty dependent on that young demographic for its labor pool. And it's an unstable pool. If you have an employee who is still living at home with Mom and Dad, who can't be motivated enough to show up for his work shift (much less stop smoking joints and get out of bed at all) it leaves your workplace in a terrible bind. I bought a foot long sub at Subway for lunch today. The young lady behind the counter was the only one there; two others that were supposed to be helping didn't bother to show up for their shifts. Needless to say, she was pretty stressed. The customers in the store were pretty patient and understanding about it.

College is priced out of reach for more and more of these young people (especially if they didn't apply themselves and get good grades in high school). Our nation's popular culture does nothing to bring attention to "dirty" blue-collar jobs. My brother is a diesel mechanic. He doesn't have a college degree like me, but he makes more money than I do as a graphic designer. There are all sorts of skilled trade jobs that pay pretty decent wages. They're not glamourous white collar jobs, but they can at least help someone without a college education avoid living in poverty.

I've heard people make the suggestion that we should require all young adults to serve at least a couple or so years in the military -kind of like they do in Israel. That seems like a good idea. But the US military today is far different than it was when people were getting drafted to fight in Vietnam. Our military today is far more in a position to pick and choose who they recruit. The Air Force and Marines have very high standards. It's a little easier to join the Army, but it's easy to wash out in basic training if you can't hack it. In recent years I've heard stories from Drill Sergeants about so many kids failing basic training because their fitness levels are total garbage due to spending all their childhood indoors hooked up to a game console. A bunch of them get stress fractures because their bone strength is terrible due to all the sedentary activity. When I was a kid I was playing outside, breaking bones. When I was 11 years old I broke my collar bone and the radius in my right forearm within 90 days of each other. No Atari console back then! It was a good thing my dad was in the Marines and we had military medical benefits.

Our nation's popular culture doesn't help the situation with how it glamourizes substance abuse. It staggers me that more than 100,000 people are now dying from drug overdoses each year. America's suicide rate is three times higher than its homicide rate. Suicide occasionally cracks the top ten list of leading causes of death. Even though deaths of despair are on the rise it doesn't seem like our nation's leaders and cultural icons seem interested in doing anything about it. What we need is a stronger sense of community. Instead Americans are having too much fun getting rage-gasms off of hating each other.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Yes, while our news outlets report inflation is only in the 8% range, that is because our government keeps changing the way they calculate inflation... If you used calculations from previous years our rate would be much higher. It's similar to the way the government has been reporting unemployment as record lows, but the reality is our non participation rate is off the charts compared to years past and the number of able people who SHOULD be working is dramatically lower than in years past. Both sides have benefited (Trump claimed 1.9% inflation with similar calculation rates), but the current admin is very bad.
It's all relative and is not a political stat. Most of you people didn't even know what inflation was 5 years ago. Now every idiot throws the term around because they're lonely without politics in their life and something to be angry about. It's old.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
One thing I really wish would happen is for the 24 hour cable news networks to fall on hard times. They're a big culprit in why America's political landscape is so angrily polarized. They devote as much attention as they can to the loudest, most extreme mouths on the left and right. The loud mouths generate more interest, better ratings numbers and more advertising revenue. That's the game right there. Other outlets of political "news" on radio platforms and online are playing the same game to attract attention and generate ad money. They're literally in the business of yanking their viewers' chains and making money off of it. It would be nice if the public could wake up to the fact they're being played for suckers.

Any lawmaker who tries to act like a grown up or at least someone with a sense of manners is going to get pushed aside by these media people. The media people want someone willing to hurl insults and spout incendiary sound bites. Likewise the media people aren't interested in lawmakers whose politics are moderate, realistic, practical and sane. The media people like pointing their cameras at the nut-jobs on the far-left and far-right. Extremists are more willing to over-simplify any issue and inflame it emotionally.

Moderates get cast as traitors by members of their own parties. But they're damaged worse by who the TV networks choose to give coverage. The networks can literally determine the outcomes of party primaries based where their coverage goes. Whoever attracts the most TV coverage usually wins the election.

With as bad as the media has abused its power over our political process I'm far more worried by the noises from some that we just need to do away with Democracy altogether. The United States will be absolutely screwed if the government turns into an authoritarian regime. Our country currently attracts the best and brightest talent from around the world. America also dominates global popular culture with its movies, music and so many other things it sells. All of that stops if America turns into a police state. Under authoritarian rule our nation will turn into one of those "$hit-hole countries" a former President joked about.

Stacey K

I like making signs
The problems our nation is now experiencing have literally been decades in the making. Price inflation in categories like housing, health care, child day care and college tuition have been well above average wage gains and the so-called "core CPI" rate for many years. America's economy has very little sense of balance. There are absurd examples of pricing excess all over the place. The falling labor participation rate lately is a side effect of this.

Lots of older workers left the work force by choice, particularly people working service industry jobs. Some quit due to the global pandemic (SARS-CoV-2 definitely kills more older people than anyone else). Others quit due to workplace issues, like customers being violent @$$holes. It sucks enough for an elderly person to work a low wage job just to stay busy. If you don't like your co-workers or boss and are worried some angry psycho customer might punch your lights out why even bother leaving the house? It's easier to make some cut backs and just live off Social Security and pension payments.

The high rates of inflation on food, fuel, rent, etc are forcing some elderly people to return to the work force. Social Security payments will get a 8.7% COLA increase in 2023. That will make it a little easier for elderly people who chose to quit to stay quit.

A little over half of America's population is women. And women represent a big part of the nation's work force. Lots of mothers with young children have been sidelined due to child care costs, among other factors. A lot of single mothers are stuck in a catch-22 situation. If they take jobs they see government benefits slashed to near nothing. Trying to raise kids while living on welfare is a pretty rough existence. Young people are pretty aware of that, which is one reason why the teen pregnancy rate is only one third what is was in 1990.

There are lots of young almost-adults in the US living pretty aimless lives with no vision of a future -other than maybe some fairy Godmother arriving with her magic wand to turn them into the movie stars and rock gods they idolize. They can't afford to move out of their parents' house or if they do move out their "home" is a couch at a friend's house.

Our nation's service sector economy is pretty dependent on that young demographic for its labor pool. And it's an unstable pool. If you have an employee who is still living at home with Mom and Dad, who can't be motivated enough to show up for his work shift (much less stop smoking joints and get out of bed at all) it leaves your workplace in a terrible bind. I bought a foot long sub at Subway for lunch today. The young lady behind the counter was the only one there; two others that were supposed to be helping didn't bother to show up for their shifts. Needless to say, she was pretty stressed. The customers in the store were pretty patient and understanding about it.

College is priced out of reach for more and more of these young people (especially if they didn't apply themselves and get good grades in high school). Our nation's popular culture does nothing to bring attention to "dirty" blue-collar jobs. My brother is a diesel mechanic. He doesn't have a college degree like me, but he makes more money than I do as a graphic designer. There are all sorts of skilled trade jobs that pay pretty decent wages. They're not glamourous white collar jobs, but they can at least help someone without a college education avoid living in poverty.

I've heard people make the suggestion that we should require all young adults to serve at least a couple or so years in the military -kind of like they do in Israel. That seems like a good idea. But the US military today is far different than it was when people were getting drafted to fight in Vietnam. Our military today is far more in a position to pick and choose who they recruit. The Air Force and Marines have very high standards. It's a little easier to join the Army, but it's easy to wash out in basic training if you can't hack it. In recent years I've heard stories from Drill Sergeants about so many kids failing basic training because their fitness levels are total garbage due to spending all their childhood indoors hooked up to a game console. A bunch of them get stress fractures because their bone strength is terrible due to all the sedentary activity. When I was a kid I was playing outside, breaking bones. When I was 11 years old I broke my collar bone and the radius in my right forearm within 90 days of each other. No Atari console back then! It was a good thing my dad was in the Marines and we had military medical benefits.

Our nation's popular culture doesn't help the situation with how it glamourizes substance abuse. It staggers me that more than 100,000 people are now dying from drug overdoses each year. America's suicide rate is three times higher than its homicide rate. Suicide occasionally cracks the top ten list of leading causes of death. Even though deaths of despair are on the rise it doesn't seem like our nation's leaders and cultural icons seem interested in doing anything about it. What we need is a stronger sense of community. Instead Americans are having too much fun getting rage-gasms off of hating each other.
I think this is exactly right. I have a couch dweller at my house...my BF son (23) lives in the basement. He had an apartment with his girlfriend but then moved back a year ago and hasn't left. Now he has a new girlfriend who is 25 and she has a 200# dog and lives with her parents who are very religious and strict. The last month they have been sleeping in my living room with this stupid dog because her parents won't allow him to sleep there. I wake up and they are cooking in my kitchen, lounging around all day on the couch. Then Saturday, she is texting me that she is making supper for him and using my oven...WTF???? I told her no...you're not. It's amazing to me these young people have such a sense of entitlement. To make a long story short - SHTF and she probably won't be back after this weekend and he got told to get out. Note* if it was my kid this would have ended after the first weekend but it's not my kid so I have to be careful what I say.

Don't young people want to start their lives? Get an apartment? Buy a new vehicle? That's what being in your 20's was about...get an apartment, have your friends over without having your mother breathing down your neck. Save up for a house. I just don't get it. A bunch of entitled deadbeats these days.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
Inflation is great if you already have yours. Just sit back and let your wealth accumulate. Max out on iBonds. At 9.6% who's complaining?

On the other hand, it sucks if you are middle class or poor. (like 70% of the country).

Recession is great as long as you keep your job or don't have to work anymore. You can just sit back and snap up bargains from people that are forced to sell stuff in order to feed their kids.

On the other hand, recession is tough for middle class and poor people. Low income people are especially vulnerable to job loss and financial turmoil due to income reduction.

In other words, it pays to be rich!

victor bogdanov

Don't young people want to start their lives? Get an apartment? Buy a new vehicle? That's what being in your 20's was about...get an apartment, have your friends over without having your mother breathing down your neck. Save up for a house. I just don't get it. A bunch of entitled deadbeats these days.
My brother is 22, finished college last year (paid for it himself with scholarships, 0 debt) and just started a $90k per year programming job mostly working from home that goes up to $120k second year of employment, way more possible with more experience (Working for a very big software developer with over 400k employees worldwide). He still lives at home with mom in Houston but had to get an apartment in Dallas as there will be times when he has to come into the office. All of his friends same age are in similar positions.

The loser young people are in those positions 100% due to their own choices

Stacey K

I like making signs
My brother is 22, finished college last year (paid for it himself with scholarships, 0 debt) and just started a $90k per year programming job mostly working from home that goes up to $120k second year of employment, way more possible with more experience (Working for a very big software developer with over 400k employees worldwide). He still lives at home with mom in Houston but had to get an apartment in Dallas as there will be times when he has to come into the office. All of his friends same age are in similar positions.

The loser young people are in those positions 100% due to their own choices
My son paid for all his college from working in high school and during college and graduates in February, should have zero debt. He had a lot of scholarships also. I told him my parents kicked me out after a few months after I got my degree and he will be out also - that's just the way it is. He completely understands. He has his mind set on buying a duplex so I'm super happy about that.

Johnny Best

All my kids moved out because I like to walk around the house naked, that will clear out a room real fast. Plus, we have no basement.
A boyfriend's kid with a girlfriend with a 200# dog living in the basement, Stacey, you and your boyfriend need to get naked and they will leave, just make sure the dog goes with them.
Buffalo put the hurts on Green Bay last night.

RabidOne

Just a general statement about how to save money when times are tough, not directed at all towards RJ's students.

There's one class they should require every high school senior to take. It's called "Math for Everyday Living". In this class you clipped out a job in the newspaper, you clipped out an apartment. The job had to be something that at 18 you could get hired for. The teacher had us calculate our taxes and he had estimated electric, heat and water. We then had X amount left. We were required to literally go to the grocery store and make a list of what we would buy, and track all our mileage so we could track our gas spending. We did this for the entire quarter while also learning about checkbooks, 401K's, the stock market, etc.

You learn REAL QUICK what the world is all about. The only way to pass the class was to get your budget under control. BEST CLASS EVER. It's not available at our high school but you can bet I went over all of this with my kids!!! They have been involved with my "saving money scheme" their entire lives. Making laundry soap, washing in cold, hanging dry, making meals vs. eating out, growing your own food, canning, freezing, etc. We do go out and we do use the dryer but there's plenty of times we don't. And I spend under $20 a year on laundry soap for 3 people. I bought a book when my kids were little that really helped me as a stay at home mom to stay home for as long as possible.

All of this also reduces emissions for those climate people.
All too true.
I work with a lot of younger people and they have a high level of aspiration for material things. I hear quit a bit of moaning about rent and mortgage prices, from the same people making payments on 2 brand new cars. My wife and I didn't buy a new car until we were on our 3rd house!
The repair tech for our printing equipment was lamenting having to move to a far out suburb to be able to buy a house. But he was driving a brand new Golf R. Now instead of 20 minutes each way to work he drives and hour. Pretty sure no one taught him math.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Stacey K said:

I can't have any sympathy for the group of young adults still living with parents but not bothering to hold down a steady job and/or go to college/trade school. These are the kids who fuel the negative stereotypes about young people: mooch off parents or anyone else willing to provide free room and board so they can lounge around smoking pot and playing video games all day and night.

There's another growing group of young adults who get forced to move back in with their parents or at least get one or more roommates to share an apartment. This group goes to college or trade school then gets full time jobs but the jobs just don't pay enough for them to make ends meet. So they move back home with the idea of trying to either pay down student loan debt as fast as possible and/or save up enough of a nest egg so they can cover the down payment on a home. With home prices and even rent prices soaring to such ridiculous levels a lot of these working young adults end up stuck with their parents for a long time. I have all the sympathy in the world for this group of people. They're at least trying but getting f***ed anyway.

Stacey K said:
My son paid for all his college from working in high school and during college and graduates in February, should have zero debt. He had a lot of scholarships also. I told him my parents kicked me out after a few months after I got my degree and he will be out also - that's just the way it is. He completely understands. He has his mind set on buying a duplex so I'm super happy about that.

Times are a lot different now than they were when I graduated from college 30 years ago. The cost of so many things is so much more today. I'm thankful I have a modest, affordable mortgage payment. But if a tornado wiped my home off the map and I had to find a new place to live I'd be pretty screwed financially. Anything comparable to my home would cost me triple what I'm paying now. I think about that when I see young people just trying to escape their parents' home.

The growing syndrome now is multi-generational households. I already mentioned young adults forced to move back in with parents. A lot of older people get forced to move in with their adult children too. My next door neighbors consist of kids, parents, at least one grandparent and I think at least another uncle of sorts. Our city has two different classes of homeless people now. There are the ones stuck living outdoors or occasionally bouncing in and out of shelters. The other class are ones moving from one couch to another. I don't remember the technical term for it. As housing prices are allowed to continue rising we're going to see even more unconventional living situations crop up -like married couples who get divorced but are financially stuck and still have to continue living with each other. I would not be surprised if more companies just started building barracks complexes like what the military does for recruits and junior enlisted personnel. For a long time Japan has had these hotels where the "room" is a horizontal container with a bed and flip-down TV inside of it -kind of like a storage container in the morgue, but with more living style. I figure it's only a matter of time before those things start popping up state-side.

Johnny Best

I grew up in the sixties and "adults" thought the same about us saying all we wanted to do was hang out and get stoned and listen to Satin music. "Is that a girl or a boy with that long hair. Draft them and send them to fight Communism in Viet Nam". It makes me laugh inside to hear the comments again after all these years. You guys and girls need to think of other things instead of wasting your time on the same bullshit your spewing as the older generation did years ago. I still do drugs and still listen to music. So go home tonight and get laid. It will put a smile on your face and make you think of something else besides the "younger generation" they will be OK and really do not need to hear your dimestore philosophy.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I grew up in the sixties and "adults" thought the same about us saying all we wanted to do was hang out and get stoned and listen to Satin music. "Is that a girl or a boy with that long hair. Draft them and send them to fight Communism in Viet Nam". It makes me laugh inside to hear the comments again after all these years. You guys and girls need to think of other things instead of wasting your time on the same bullshit your spewing as the older generation did years ago. I still do drugs and still listen to music. So go home tonight and get laid. It will put a smile on your face and make you think of something else besides the "younger generation" they will be OK and really do not need to hear your dimestore philosophy.
100% right. Older generations have been complaining about the work ethic and values of the younger generation since biblical times. Nothing new here folks.

RabidOne

My comments had nothing to do with work ethic. Notice I said all the young people I "work" with. They are all gainfully employed, and I couldn't give a rats ass if your hair is pink or green, if you are a card carrying member of whatever fringe party people vilify this week, if you are a visible minority, gay or anything else. My point was more about society setting unrealistic expectations about having it all and having it now. Pot in Canada is legal and almost everyone I work with smokes it, it doesn't seem to affect their ability to do their jobs.

Stacey K

I like making signs
All my kids moved out because I like to walk around the house naked, that will clear out a room real fast. Plus, we have no basement.
A boyfriend's kid with a girlfriend with a 200# dog living in the basement, Stacey, you and your boyfriend need to get naked and they will leave, just make sure the dog goes with them.
Buffalo put the hurts on Green Bay last night.
LOL! I kinda figured we would lose to the Bills...not a big fan of Rodgers anyway.

Unfortunately, it's not my son and she's not my daughter so I can only say so much. My BF wasn't bothered by it until this weekend, she's a very nice girl and it's odd for him to date someone who is nice so he didn't want to say anything. Plus he thinks my parenting is "mean".

At any rate, last weekend when complaining didn't get me anywhere I decided I would use reverse phycology. Kinda like the naked thing...and it worked! LOL