• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ink configuration?

2B

Before the new printer VS-640 is installed wanting to see which ink configurations are being and for what reason.
Here is what the research has shown,

Dual CMYK - 90-95% of printers use this ink configuration, fastest and cheapest to use

CMYKLmLc - used for more "natural" skin tones, HD posters/enlarged photos

CMYKMtWhite - the latest technology, not all people offer these, white is needed for clear vinyl/stickers or anywhere that needs a base coat. Metallic,
1. It is NOT reflective
2. It is a “spot” ink
3. Requires lamination
4. COST 5. SLOW!!!
Of the people who have either the LmLc and/or WhiteMt
Have you seen your customers willing to pay the extra amount for the colors?
do your customers want these extra colors?
If you had to do it over again would you do the other colors or go with Dual CMYK?
Have you had any issues with the metallic ink in the heads/channels?
How often does your machine do "self cleaning"

Thanks,

hyperdrive

We have customers willing to pay extra for the metallic version.. we offer both and of course show samples... When.placed side by side with a process printed color versus the metallic version its an easy sell!!! Generally we get 25% more per print.

There is the slowness involved with the white and metallic ,which is a bit of a bummer.. we usually print all the metallic orders overnight,making it a non issue.

If I had it to do again is stick with it ... but do. wish it was faster.
It doesn't really set us back due to having a.other printer running with of set up ,cmyk ..

Scott

2B

We have customers willing to pay extra for the metallic version.. we offer both and of course show samples... When.placed side by side with a process printed color versus the metallic version its an easy sell!!! Generally we get 25% more per print.

There is the slowness involved with the white and metallic ,which is a bit of a bummer.. we usually print all the metallic orders overnight,making it a non issue.

If I had it to do again is stick with it ... but do. wish it was faster.
It doesn't really set us back due to having a.other printer running with of set up ,cmyk ..

Scott

This is EXACTLY what we were looking for! THANKS for the info

Patentagosse

I run mine CMYKLcLmCM but haven't really seen major advantages as for colormatch. Previously I owned a SP-300 CMYK and it worked very fine. Yes, "maybe" for skin tones but for solid colors, gradients... invisible to the naked eye.

I would opt for Dual CMYK if I had to do it again. That way you only have 4 colors to keep in stock instead of 6...

petepaz

we have an xc540 cmyk (x2) w/ white, sp540 cmyk, lej640 cmyk w/ white + gloss and xr640 cmyk ltc ltm ltk w/ metallic. all work great and if we use metallic or white we charge for it but we don't usually have to offer the customer different options we just print what they want and charge for what we print. based on what we have done over the years being able to print white has come up more then the metallic.

KaranGrewal

before you go ahead with metallic ink , make sure if you can sell it to your clients, otherwise its a waste of money, white ink for sure is very handy. we have vs 640, with white and metalic ink. use white a lot on clear vinyl , but hardly any metalic. wish i had double white ink configration.

Shadowglen

I currently am running a sp-540 and I am looking at adding a vs 540 before the end of the year. So how come once its inked it cant be changed? I see a lot of people posting that they can change with the other machines. maybe I need to step away from the Roland for a second machine? it looks like the general consensus is double cmyk for speed?