• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ink spots while printing

i've noticed lately, especialy on banners........that i'm getting very small what looks like dense ink spots in random places on prints. i just did a dark green banner and i noticed it again........looks like very small ink spot/drop out on the green part.
the heads are clean as i did a manual clean of everything a couple days ago. any suggestions on what it maybe or how to avoid it?

kffernandez

a single fiber will cause the random spots.

especially with banners, you really can't guarantee that your head will be fiber free 100% of the time. manual cleaning will definitely help, along with scheduled auto cleans. but at the end of the day, you can only do so much.

kelly

cdiesel

If it's a drop of ink (usually one color, which may appear to be a dark spot as it mixes with the color underneath), it's usually due to an accumulation of ink on the head. Sometimes lint or dirt on the head will cause this. You probably need to do a good manual cleaning again.

Printing on banners causes a lot of fibers to catch on the head sometimes as the head passes over the ends of the material. You can help avoid this by hitting the ends of the banner roll with a torch to burn off any "hairs" that may be there.

kffernandez

btw, just for explanation's sake. the fiber catches the ink, collects it, and then plops it in when it's heavy enough.

SignaPrint

Do manual clean...then,

Select head in up position and use long smoothers to hold down fiber ends of banner material.

I had this and since doing the above Ive had no issues.

But...

Please remember to take smoothers out before doing the sheet cut....please

Do manual clean...then,

Select head in up position and use long smoothers to hold down fiber ends of banner material.

But...

i have always done this, and i had just done a good manual cleaning. it is heavy dark ink spots, quite small but there are still there and in random places on the banner.
maybe try cleaning again then? could it be something to do with the cap tops? i know you should change the cap tops approx once a year, my tech suggested once every six months. i've had the printer since last june/july...

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Do manual clean...then,

But...

You use a word in a context with which I am not familiar. 'Smoothers'. I can infer what you mean but I'm not certain. Could you please explain your usage of 'smoother'?

heres the pic

Attachments

• IMG-20110426-00119.jpg
    IMG-20110426-00119.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 119

gabagoo

when I get this happening I shut down the printer and swing the heads over and use an led light to look closely and usually see the culprit which is not to visible without a light source

sfr table hockey

Seeing that the drops are of the same ink color as you are printing then it has to be a case of ink build up and then a drop falling off. Most times its a fuzz or a hair like mentioned. You also can have a buildup of ink around the outer edge of the print head that catches the ink spray and builds up.

If it was a bad damper that was not sealing, the drop would be more a solid color from that head and not the color you are always printing.

Do a test print of a soild color and then stop the print and look at the bottom of the head to see if you can see a drop forming and where it is.

You may need a mirror to see under the head better and of course a flash light.

MikeSTK

Dawns Vinyl Designs
Funny how things accumulate under there. We were cutting heat transfer material once with very small text. All of our "8's" went missing.

We searched and searched, never found them.

About a week later we went to change the blade and they all managed to stuff themselves in the blade carrier. So look closely for the culprit, lol.

Craziest thing........

i did a manual cleaning again and got my flash light out and had a good look. didn't really see anything but carefully wiped down the sides etc just incase. i'll see what happens.
makes sense if there were fluff or something underneath making the ink drop sown randamly.......just didn't see anything.

Gabriel

Advice

Try to do manual cleaning also for the cap-tops, wipers and scraper. It's useless to do manual cleaning for the print head if the others parts are dirty and have all kind of...things on them. The print head is going to capping position and take dirt and other stuff from there.
Best regards.