• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Inkjet printing directly on 3/4" thick wood?

Haze Grafix

I had a customer ask today if there is a way to print directly on a piece of hardwood 3/4" or 1" thick with a wide format inkjet ( or solvent ) printer. Why they want this I have no clue but I'm just wondering if there's equipment that can do it. Any input would be helpful.

Haze Grafix

By cutting a screen and printing it or would this be a feed through? It sounds like it may be a process color print, I'll know more when I see the graphic. If you know of a company that I could sub it out to it would be appreciated :)

cdiesel

We have printed directly to plywood many times. Typestries, Insignia, Gino, and Merrit Graphics are all merchant members fairly close to you that could handle this.

Nicky Zhou

PrintLinks
UV printer can do it. The workflow depends on what it used for after printing, If just simply decoration.. you can almost printing directly. But for flooring wood, a primer need to be done for protection.
We used to print wood for furniture, flooring, doors and other application, let me know more detail requirement, maybe I can help to figure it out.

96XP

Slightly off medium here, but if ever the situation arises for anyone, I have printed directly onto fiberglass vale through a 54" Roland. Had to tape the edges down onto regular media in order for the pinch rollers to pull it through, and move the head up to avoid the odd strand. Turned out spectacular. Machine was just fine afterwards.
(the project was a printed scene, gel coated into water slide molds before chopper gun backup)

rubo

+1 OT. Printing a lot of wood veneer sheets ( 44"x8') on Epson 9700 w no issues whatsoever.

george w

+1 OT. Printing a lot of wood veneer sheets ( 44"x8') on Epson 9700 w no issues whatsoever.

How are you doing this and how thick can you go? I have a 9700 and I would like to know about this. I am too cautious to try non rated media in case I trash the machine.

Thanks.

rubo

thickness of veneer is inside the allowed media thickness for 9700 - you want to go w biggest gap - I actually removed all the vacuum plates from the printer to run even thicker media - you don't need vacuum for heavy materials - and you can control the PF from the driver if there is any banding due to weight - I run 0.025 aluminum sheets through it w no problems. I just decided to go ahead and take a gamble - and it worked! Good luck!