• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

install in hot and humid weather tomorrow...help!

spudcity

Its been 100 degrees and humid in WI and I have an install tomorrow on a semi trailer. I did two last week in similar weather and had problems keeping my masking tape sticking to the side of the trailer to hold up the graphics while I was measuring and lining them up. Any suggestions?

grafixemporium

Would you like some cheese with that whine? Move to Texas, the weather is beautiful down here. :cool:

Oh, and don't use masking tape. Try using scraps of vinyl instead.

Jillbeans

I've used the vynull scraps too.
It's so nasty here this week that might be the only way to go.
Masking tape just says "F-that, I don't feel like sticking."
Even the supposed "good" masking tape won't stick.
Don't use duct tape tho. That only works for me on brick walls when putting up a pounce pattern.
Love....Jill

marcsitkin

The installers down here in South Florida often tear of a hand sized piece of release liner from the panel, exposing a little adhesive, and use this to adhere and align.

When they do use masking tape, it's usually 1.5 to 2" wide for the extra grab.

Marlene

what type of masking tape are you using? the 3M with the yellow core, not the white, works pretty good. it is like a rain forest around here every summer and I have had good luck with 3M. double up on the tape too with an overlapping layer, that some times helps too

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Scotch makes a no residue duct tape the works well. If you get it make sure it's the right one. Runs about $8. a roll at Home Depot

njshorts

Use r-tape blue, or high-tac perfectear. i've got a log of old PT we use only for holding graphics up... bought it for masking cut vinyl jobs about 5 years ago, and it's terrible... but works well for all-around 4" masking tape!

Mosh

I just did a 53' semi trailer, I just pulled it inside our shop and was fine,
just made sure it cooled off before to applyed the vinyl.
Cut vinyl logos only, no digital.

ucmj22

Just finished a 40ft Concession trailer with awning flip ups and popouts in balmy 99deg weather and a heat index of 113. That was rediculous!

klemgraphics

I just did a 53' semi trailer, I just pulled it inside our shop and was fine,
just made sure it cooled off before to applyed the vinyl.
Cut vinyl logos only, no digital.
This works well for me too. If not the green 3M automotive masking tape will do the job.

petepaz

got my last install done about half hour ago nothing else till next week
and i was sweating like patrick ewing
also not having any hair to catch the sweat is an issue, usually have to wear a bandana so i don't sweat all over the truck

good luck drink lots of water