• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installation

10sacer

Okay,

Please see attached mockup of banner job that is going to attempt to be installed on Friday.

Client has big facilities maintenance group to do all the install stuff, but are looking for direction from us as to best way to install and not damage the columns and not make huge sails out of these things when wind blows.

We are printing on fabric mesh.

Here's kicker. The columns are hollow with steel beam inside, so there is like a 10" gap all the way around interior beam to interior wall of column.

Cannot attach anything to bottom so we have 3 application points - top and both sides.

Looking for recommendations to finish, securely hang and try to prevent wind blow out.

Thanks

Sean

Attachments

• Screen shot.jpg
    Screen shot.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 90

10sacer

Banners

Sorry... forgot to say... banners are 5' x 15'.

Our original intent is to sew in pole pockets on all four sides and attach bungee cords around the columns and brackets into brick at top and heavier pole at bottom, but are concerned that bungees will cause image scalloping.

GypsyGraphics

wow... that's gorgeous!!!

could you make metal straps, like over-sized hose clamps around the columns and paint them to blend in
then any number of hooks or carabiner to attached the banners

if you were to have rod pockets at the top and bottom,
your rods could be drilled through on the ends for a ring or pin-n-bail to then be attached to the strap and hook or ring.

Letterbox Mike

Do they intend to have banners hung in this location on an ongoing basis or is this just a one-time thing? If these will be rotated out regularly, I'd propose a permanent fixture of some sort, solidly mounted to the columns that the banners can be stretched onto. I'm thinking some sort of aluminum tube frame perhaps. Good opportunity to upsell the client if they're listening.

I Can't think of a good sturdy solution for a one-time installation, at least one that won't require putting big holes in the columns.

MikePro

always looks good on paper, eh?

how durable are the colums? granted, there's steel inside but will the hollow shell support anything? (given, the banners will most likely weight ~150lbs and wind push/pull could double/triple that).

I'd say ratchet straps around the columns with S-hooks/zip-ties/bungees securing the banners if they seem tough enough....

otherwise, if not, will they allow you to tap into the sides of the columns and span cable to/from the brick and secure it top/bottom across two tension cables?

Letterbox Mike

always looks good on paper, eh?

how durable are the colums? granted, there's steel inside but will the hollow shell support anything? (given, the banners will most likely weight ~150lbs and wind push/pull could double/triple that).

I'd say ratchet straps around the columns with S-hooks/zip-ties/bungees securing the banners if they seem tough enough....

otherwise, if not, will they allow you to tap into the sides of the columns and span cable to/from the brick and secure it top/bottom across two tension cables?

Ratchet straps are about the only option for a non-permanent installation, but like you said, how stiff are the columns? If you ratchet the straps down too tight, are the columns going to collapse or squish in? I've seen some decorative columns like that that you wouldn't want to wrap a kite string around, let alone attach 3 huge banners to...

Fitch

"wrap" a cloth strip - much like a standard bandage - around the poles, at least 4 - 6 times, then metal straps with a piece of holed steel between. The "bandage will stop marring the existing paint and give good grip.

Simply secure the bottom of the banners to the metal strip using bungee cord, or springs. This will give good flex, especially given that the banner is perf.

Cheers - G

Billct2

We did an install almost exactly like that only the columns were antique wood not aluminum. We weren't allowed to put any holes in them.
We put ratchet straps (with some foam cushioning) around the columns top & bottom and bungeed the banners in place. They weren't mesh either, and they held up fine. After all they really only get direct wind from one direction which helps.

John L

New Harleys (in this area) arrive at the Harley Dealers with brand new, bright white ratchet straps holding them to crates. Most harley dealers have hundreds of these and will sell cheap.

CanuckSigns

I think the Band-It system would work quite well for this, it's the same system used to attach street signs to light and telephone poles.

use some type of padding between the strap and the column. the straps come with little clip type attachments with a pre drilled and tapped hole, find an eye-bolt with the same thread to thread into it. use one per grommet along the sides and connect the banner to the eye bolt with bungee

hopefully my crude illustration will help.

Attachments

• banner column.jpg
    banner column.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 76

10sacer

Column install

There is a reason I peruse this site every day... see whats happening... what issues guys are having... and to get solutions to real world problems from other industry people.

You guys are awesome and I really appreciate all the input. I hadn't even considered the ratchet strap system for fear of column strength - which is why I am headed there now to take an eyes-on look at it. This is a last minute project - brilliant idea by a designer and I had been trying to manage this from Disney World, but am back now and will take an in-depth look at all install point options. Will post photos when they are up on Friday.

Thanks again,

Sean

MikePro

downside to the band-it system, is that they are not reusable since the bands are made of steel/stainless steel. you could just as easily use zip-ties in this manner, tbh.
ratchets can be re-used and will be more gentle to the finish of the colums but both should have some extra padding just in case of rubbing.

Crossing my fingers that the pillars are tough enough... would make your job a hell of a lot easier if you can mount to them.