• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Installing a sandblasted redwood sign on stacked stone

Marlene

That sign has a serious warp going on. What happened to it? Redwood blanks are usually painted so they don't care if the wood matches and that looks like what this is. The only way to get it right is to glue it up yourself or find a supplier who will make you a blank with matched pieces. Even with that, it still will have a butcher block look it. I've seen a lot of these and personally hate them as it is like looking at raw, unfinished material but there are people who love this look. I would be more worried about that warp. As far as mounting on the stone, I assume it is thin stone and as mentioned, it must have a good strong backer. Ask what it is and what's behind the stone. I'd use angle on the back of the sign and other piece on the wall.

billsines

NOT RELATED TO POST TOPIC

Please keep your posts/comments related to what is relevant to the sign, sign, graphics industry

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Please keep your posts/comments related to what is relevant to the sign, sign, graphics industry

DerbyCitySignGuy

Aesthetics, the classics and cool are all one in the same. Some things never change regardless of what a younger or more naive generation thinks or believes. Some things never stray from elegance. Your judgement might well be understood by some, but it is completely wrong.

That thing, the OP showed is hardly reclaimed aesthetics. Throwing terms around like you know what they mean is what's wrong with this place. Just that..... throwing crap around and because you say it, it's gospel. There is nothing nice or pleasing to the eye, when someone does not take the time to match up end grains or size and just haphazardly puts totally unmatching flat and end grains together and comes up with a mess like that. That's an eye sore.

There is a such a thing as making a perfectly ugly sign and whoever made that one achieved it.

The reasoning powers you've displayed here..... are the same as with the many misused and even used type faces of today. For centuries, sign people have strived to make perfect looking characters and in a matter of a decade or so, with the intervention of computers, we can now convince people that silly fonts which look like they were made by second graders are really neat..... even reclaimed styles, huh ??

Gino, I didn't say I agreed with it. You are, however, terribly mistaken. Aesthetics, the classics, and cool are not all "one and the same". Maybe to someone from your generation they are, but, and I really do hate to tell you this, you're not cool anymore. Sorry. I'm not cool anymore either. That ship has sailed. You don't get to decide what looks good to the general public.

The ultimate arbiter of what's "cool" is the person who had that sign made and the multitude of young, hip kids that love that style and aesthetic. That's not you. Sorry.

You CLEARLY don't have your finger on the pulse of what's "cool" in young, urban areas, because that sign you're looking at is considered "cool" to a LOT of people. Go to any hip, urban flea market and you'll find thousands of overpriced, poorly made pieces of junk that people buy up like it's gold bullion. You don't have to like it. I'm not a fan of the style, but it's EVERYWHERE in hip, urban areas.

[Edit: My bias is showing. I don't like the reclaimed look, but it's not junk. Apologies.]

Haha now we have someone who is going to tell us what is "cool" or not.
Last time I checked Gino is allowed to have his own opinion on subjects such as this, or is that uncool.
I'm older that Gino and the sign looks alright with me. And, the expression "cool" is from an older generation.
Also to the OP, good luck on hanging your cool sign.

I knew you couldn't resist slinging mud. Be careful, you wouldn't want anybody flinging any dirt back in your direction.

Johnny Best

DerbyCity, I didn't say I agreed with it. You are, however, terribly mistaken. I was not slinging mud but saying that everyone has the right to their opinion on a subject on here and do not need someone giving their dissertation on the word cool. Next, you get up in his face and tell him he does not have his finger somewhere to know whats going on. But you do. Hey sport, you are not the hall monitor?
I also bought some goggles so when I come to the playground and play in mud puddles with the other children to keep the flinging dirt out of my eyes
I really hate to tell you this, but I agree with you, you are not cool. But you do have a writing talent for being a critic.

DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCity, I didn't say I agreed with it. You are, however, terribly mistaken. I was not slinging mud but saying that everyone has the right to their opinion on a subject on here and do not need someone giving their dissertation on the word cool. Next, you get up in his face and tell him he does not have his finger somewhere to know whats going on. But you do. Hey sport, you are not the hall monitor?
I also bought some goggles so when I come to the playground and play in mud puddles with the other children to keep the flinging dirt out of my eyes
I really hate to tell you this, but I agree with you, you are not cool. But you do have a writing talent for being a critic.

I'd have a response for you, but I don't need my inbox flooded with any more tears.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All I did was respond to the OP's questions with honest answers. Once I saw what was in place somewhere else, I made a comment on how poorly that sign was made and you gave some kinda dissertation on 'COOL' and what it means and onto how UNcool I am. I could care less what you think of what I know or am, but you have a right to your opinion..... unlike I don't have a right to mine.

For some reason, you seem to think what you have going on in your head is the end-all to almost everything..... but you seem to fail to realize, it only exists in your world.

In the young urban areas, I don't see anything 'COOL' , but more graffitti and totally UNcool lousy artwork being made by untrained artists and lousy mechanics. With critics, such as yourself determining what everyone should or should not like...... who gets a choice ?? Isn't art in the eye of the beholder ??

Those young hiphops and inner city youngins are not determining what is COOL or not. It is being permitted to try to keep problems at a minimum and it's a known fact, if you let them decorate their own with their own, they won't destroy it near as fast. It's just Father Time biding his time, until these young know-it-alls grow up and get some sense in their heads.

You clearly don't have a finger or grasp at reality, regardless of what you consider good or bad. It must be ashame to wonder around in a world agreeing........ while all the time, no thoughts of your own floating around in your head.

Any flea market selling that crap is all the flea market can bear. Anything with potential will never be in a flea market.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, now that you've managed to practically derail this guy's thread..... what can you do to help put it back on track.

Ultimate13

I do agree that I'm not a total fan of how the first sign was made. I also don't understand the warp or how long that sign will survive. We did build our own blank and actually lined up the planks for almost matching color to this one. Blasting it this week and handing it over or hanging it next week, I'll keep you all posted.

Thank you again for all the advice and ideas.

TimToad

I do agree that I'm not a total fan of how the first sign was made. I also don't understand the warp or how long that sign will survive. We did build our own blank and actually lined up the planks for almost matching color to this one. Blasting it this week and handing it over or hanging it next week, I'll keep you all posted.

One practically needs to have a full woodworking shop in order to properly plane, join and assemble a planked panel that large and not have it warp. You need to use dowels, biscuits or other methods on your joints and it STILL can warp. All it takes is a couple of boards not being as dry as others, a few edges not perfectly planed square, too much heat from the blasting medium, boards turned all the same grain direction, etc.

equippaint

One practically needs to have a full woodworking shop in order to properly plane, join and assemble a planked panel that large and not have it warp. You need to use dowels, biscuits or other methods on your joints and it STILL can warp. All it takes is a couple of boards not being as dry as others, a few edges not perfectly planed square, too much heat from the blasting medium, boards turned all the same grain direction, etc.
Exactly, this is what Gino was saying in his own nice gentle way. Blasting and finishing is the easy part.

billsines

Gino

Premium Subscriber

billsines

Marlene

I think we have the right to call something ugly even if there are those out there who think it's cool. I hate chalk board signs. They are cheap looking, way over used and too trendy. It has nothing to do with me being old or not cool. Trendy is OK but when it goes out of style it is as stupid looking as a mullet. When it comes to trendy, coming in at the end, not the start of a trend subjects your work to looking like a mullet before it's time. Not all trends considered cool are cool. Think over sized pants hanging down with underwear showing. Some find that cool but there is no way you can convince me of that. So when someone like Gino says something sucks, that's OK and not a sign of being too old to be cool.

DerbyCitySignGuy

I think we have the right to call something ugly even if there are those out there who think it's cool. I hate chalk board signs. They are cheap looking, way over used and too trendy. It has nothing to do with me being old or not cool. Trendy is OK but when it goes out of style it is as stupid looking as a mullet. When it comes to trendy, coming in at the end, not the start of a trend subjects your work to looking like a mullet before it's time. Not all trends considered cool are cool. Think over sized pants hanging down with underwear showing. Some find that cool but there is no way you can convince me of that. So when someone like Gino says something sucks, that's OK and not a sign of being too old to be cool.

I don't necessarily disagree with everything you're saying, but the current cultural zeitgeist defines cool, not a bunch of old sign makers. Cultural trends, by their very nature, are an expression of what's cool.

That being said, saggy pants with underwear showing haven't been "cool" for a long time. ;)

DerbyCitySignGuy

I'm interested in seeing the final product and finding out how you managed to get it on the wall. Keep us updated! Good luck!

Gino

Premium Subscriber