• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

installing on glass in extreme cold

the graphics co

HI,

I have an install tonight and the temp is around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Our client was nice enough to produce the graphics first surface for glass. Any tried and true methods on getting this to stay down? Thanks in advance.

Cameron

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Rapaid Tac II is for cold, but they say down to 20. Just be patient and slow peeling the pre-mask.

Billct2

Yea, I heard that about Rapidtac2, but still usually go dry.
In the cold I take my time and burnish the print with my bare hand to try to warm it a bit before
slowly peeling the transfer paper.
There are some maniacs who use a heat gun/hair dryer. I guess it would work on a very low setting, very slowly.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like mentioned, dry and slowly. In fact, if the vinyl won't stay down, let the application tape on and go back tomorrow to remove it.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Rapaid Tac II is for cold, but they say down to 20. Just be patient and slow peeling the pre-mask.

I wouldn't use rapid tac on any glass, cold or warm...

I've tried rapid tac 2 before, and it took forever to stick... dry is the way to go. Just apply in small increments.

the graphics co

has anyone tried straight isoprophyl as an application fluid? We did some small tests at the shop and it seems to work pretty well.

Techman

IF one uses the wrong rapid tac it will take forever to stick. Rapid tac II is for calendared vinyl. Rapid TAc is for cast vinyl.
Each one has its own type of advesive.
Use the wrong one and it will not matter how warm it is. It will not stick.

In any case, using the app fluid in the cold works. I have applied vinyl in very cold weather here and got paid when others would moan and cry about it being too cold.

rjssigns

If the panels are single pane non-insulated we put small space heaters on stands about 2 feet away from the inside surface. If we have IG(insulated glass) panels we bring our 100,000BTU salamander and set that up roughly 7 to 8 feet away from the glass.

The former technique was used in January and it was roughly 20 degrees F.
The latter technique was used in the middle of a December blizzard. Temp was right about 20 degrees F.

With either technique you need to be super patient. Never get the glass warm either. Just get it to 40-45 degrees F. More than that you run the risk of stress cracking the panel. Then you end up paying for a mega-dollar replacement.

These are my techniques to get things done in frigid temps. I had mentioned them in a previous post and folks made all kinds of excuses why it won't work and was stupid.

Point is I've grown fond of eating more than once a day and having a warm place to sleep so I do what I gotta do.:cool:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
has anyone tried straight isoprophyl as an application fluid? We did some small tests at the shop and it seems to work pretty well.

Have never heard of nor tried that....I use alcohol to remove adhesive, so I can't even imagine using it to help adhesive vinyl stick better....

the graphics co

Have never heard of nor tried that....I use alcohol to remove adhesive, so I can't even imagine using it to help adhesive vinyl stick better....
believe me i was shocked myself, but the rapid tac wasn't working so i just tried it to try it. Boom works, it is a short term install so we might go with it.