• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Insurance from Hartford

originalsigns

I got a letter from the Hartford Insurance Co. They said they won't renew my policy because they think I offer vehicle wraps. I've had them for ten years, never had a claim or any issues. I don't off vehicle wraps, only cut vinyl on a few trucks a year. They didn't care when I told them I don't do wraps. Anybody else run into this? What company should I look into? What rates do pay. I'm just a sole proprietor home business needing liability. Thanks!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I got a letter from the Hartford Insurance Co. They said they won't renew my policy because they think I offer vehicle wraps. I've had them for ten years, never had a claim or any issues. I don't off vehicle wraps, only cut vinyl on a few trucks a year. They didn't care when I told them I don't do wraps. Anybody else run into this? What company should I look into? What rates do pay. I'm just a sole proprietor home business needing liability. Thanks!

I have them too... that's crazy they did that. Do you have photos of vehicles on your website?

DerbyCitySignGuy

We had The Hartford for personal vehicle insurance for a long time and they were great right up until my wife knocked mirrors with another vehicle. 300% increase in our rates. Switched to another carrier and got a cheaper rate than we started with.

TSC1985

We're being audited very soon by Hartford as well; we do do wraps and pictures are all over the website and shop. We have had them for maybe 20 years, never once filed a claim, and this is our 3rd time being audited. Anyone have any suggestions for workmans comp companies?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps, they didn't acknowledge doing vehicles of any sort..... to be a home-based operation. Are you on business insurance or home-owners insurance ?? Do you have a business license or permits to operate in your home ??

originalsigns

I have them too... that's crazy they did that. Do you have photos of vehicles on your website?
Yes, my website does talk about cut vinyl on vehicles and does have a few pictures. They went to my website and determined it's a vehicle wrap even though nowhere do I mention wraps. Very frustrating!

originalsigns

Perhaps, they didn't acknowledge doing vehicles of any sort..... to be a home-based operation. Are you on business insurance or home-owners insurance ?? Do you have a business license or permits to operate in your home ??
We have Mixed Use Estate that allows for a home based business. I'm a Lic. Contractor and really don't have a need for a store front. I mostly do signs that I install, I just go to them for the site survey and handle all the layout & proposals through email. Our Home owners insurance covers my equipment & shop. I just removed the pictures of trucks from my web page and may call them back and see if that makes any difference.

originalsigns

We're being audited very soon by Hartford as well; we do do wraps and pictures are all over the website and shop. We have had them for maybe 20 years, never once filed a claim, and this is our 3rd time being audited. Anyone have any suggestions for workmans comp companies?
I went through a couple audits with them too. I admit I blew off one or two over the last ten years, nothing changed so I didn't respond. Ughhh, maybe that's why I'm on their radar. This "wraps" thing sounds like a stupid reason to cancel my policy. I asked if they could just make a adjustment to my policy to cover that and they said NOPE. I have Workmans Comp Exemption, I just need the Hartford for Liability.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have Mixed Use Estate that allows for a home based business. I'm a Lic. Contractor and really don't have a need for a store front. I mostly do signs that I install, I just go to them for the site survey and handle all the layout & proposals through email. Our Home owners insurance covers my equipment & shop. I just removed the pictures of trucks from my web page and may call them back and see if that makes any difference.

Quite honestly, I've never heard of homeowners insurance covering business insurance. Do you have a business license to work from your home is what I was referring to. Being licensed and having a license, permit and mercantile privilege is generally a different animal. Perhaps, you have an unhappy neighbor who doesn't like you and reported you.

unclebun

Yes, my website does talk about cut vinyl on vehicles and does have a few pictures. They went to my website and determined it's a vehicle wrap even though nowhere do I mention wraps. Very frustrating!

I still can't figure out what difference it makes to insurance whether you do wraps or not. Have you asked them? Or is the whole issue that of having other people's vehicles on your premises? In that case, they have been fooled into believing everything stuck on a vehicle is called a wrap, confusing you and all of us in the process.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I think you're onto something. As more and more people use the words digital, wraps and wide-format kinda wrong, the various entities are picking up on buzz words and collectively giving everyone the same deal. Sorta like you're gonna hafta pay the big bucks if you wanna compete with the big guys.

WildWestDesigns

Quite honestly, I've never heard of homeowners insurance covering business insurance.

I haven't heard of that either. In fact, who I am with makes no bones about it as to Home Owner's policy doesn't cover business. But just because I'm not aware of it happening, doesn't mean that it isn't the case.

Do you have a business license to work from your home is what I was referring to. Being licensed and having a license, permit and mercantile privilege is generally a different animal. Perhaps, you have an unhappy neighbor who doesn't like you and reported you.

I can see that affecting the business license more then insurance. Around here, to get a home occupation permit, no signage outside, period. How many customers you have (or their vehicles) is usually at most 1 at a time. But all of that affects the city/county/home occupation permits here, more so then insurance. Or at least the business license would have also been affected as well.

I still can't figure out what difference it makes to insurance whether you do wraps or not. Have you asked them? Or is the whole issue that of having other people's vehicles on your premises?

I'm inclined to think of something like this. Although, having been audited before, one would think that the sticking point would be more apparent at this point in time.

originalsigns

I just tried to get a quote from HISCOX Insurance company and had the same issue. Once I mentioned I put cut vinyl on some truck doors the conversation ended. I told her it's not a wrap, just some vinyl that can be easily removed. She said they don't cover any applied to a vehicle. So, this must be something new going around. I need insurance, who covers this?

originalsigns

YES - that's what they used as grounds to dump me. Nowhere does it mention wraps on the webpage. I removed all the pictures and replaced with a car and the graphics photoshopped on it. I don't know if that makes any difference to them.

unclebun

It appears that the rise of vehicle wrapping and tinting shops and probably numerous cases of claims against them has led to the creation of a new category of insurance for sign shops, even though we have traditionally lettered vehicles for many decades and there has been no problem with excess liability for the insurance companies to cover. This is probably compounded by the fact that wrap shops are concentrated in relatively unsafe urban areas, cater to people who drive the most theft-desirable and expensive cars, and as far as I can tell tend to be operated by younger, perhaps less savory and upright individuals. It's hard to find information about this on the web, but I found two places which allude to this, one a UK based company, and this one: https://www.cglobalins.com/industries/sign-industry-insurance/#axzz5iukpqqYE

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
YES - that's what they used as grounds to dump me. Nowhere does it mention wraps on the webpage. I removed all the pictures and replaced with a car and the graphics photoshopped on it. I don't know if that makes any difference to them.

Luckily I don't have any vehicle graphic photos on my site.. I really shy away from doing that stuff and focus more on installing signs.

originalsigns

Quite honestly, I've never heard of homeowners insurance covering business insurance. Do you have a business license to work from your home is what I was referring to. Being licensed and having a license, permit and mercantile privilege is generally a different animal. Perhaps, you have an unhappy neighbor who doesn't like you and reported you.
We live way out in the sticks, can't see a neighbor from our property. Our home/horse ranch is zoned for home business and I don't believe has anything to do with my current situation. This is just a issue with my insurance company not wanting to cover vehicle graphics and not code violations. This must be something new because it wasn't an issue previously.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We are a store-front business, and I believe the vehicles are covered under a separate "garage-keeper" insurance policy. It's possible that they don't offer that option for home-based businesses.

• Agree
Reactions: 2B