• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

International Building Code and local sign codes...

letterman7

Fred, if this isn't in the right area, feel free to move.

Ok, I need some insight, opinions, whatever. My local township here has adopted the International Building Code into their ordinance, which apparently also affects how signs are to be permitted as there is a sub section in the IBC referring to signage. But.. in the first section of the IBC I already see a discrepancy in their terminology which would directly affect any city/township/municipality that adopts this code. It reads, in part:

Section H102 Definitions:
Display Sign: The area made available by the sign structure for the purpose of displaying the advertising message.
Ground Sign: A billboard or similar type of sign which is supported by one or more uprights, poles or braces in or upon the ground other than a combination sign or pole sign, as defined by this code.
Combination Sign: A sign incorporating any combination of the features of pole, projecting and roof signs.
Pole Sign: A sign wholly supported by a sign structure in the ground.

Section H105 Design and Construction

105.1 General Requirements: Signs shall be designed and constructed to comply with the provisions of this code for use of materials, loads and stresses.
105.3 Wind Load: Signs shall be designed and constructed to withstand wind pressure as provided for in chapter 16.
105.5 Working Stresses: In outdoor advertising display signs, the allowable working stresses shall conform to the requirements of chapter 16.

Sounds reasonable, right, if you're doing a large pylon marquee or something similar? I mean, you would want to have an engineer for the foundation, etc.. but here's the thing, and maybe I'm too close to it or simply just not reading it correctly: The definition of a "ground sign" is certainly not correct as that definition encompasses "pole sign". Isn't the general nomenclature of a ground sign one that is fully on the ground, i.e. a Peachtree monument style? Yes, I know there are variables, including the towering pylons that are fully enclosed.

But here's what I'm running into: I have a job submitted that is using two small Peachtree monuments. According to the IBC, I need to spec out engineer drawings with wind loads, stresses, etc. to satisfy the township engineer. Being a one man shop and not building or installing pylons or other structures that would obviously require an engineer for footers, I don't have the resources to be sending to engineers to do all that - and the only reason I'm being required to do that is because of the initial definition of a ground sign and resulting H105 requirements.

I'm rambling a bit as I did meet with the township engineer and the codes official today and they agree that yes, the code is ridiculous but their hands are tied legally. I did not notice the description discrepancy until later today when I reviewed the IBC code, or I would have brought it up then. Anyway, my statement to them was basically if I was to install a 4x8 mdo sales sign that stands 3' off the ground, I need to secure engineer drawings etc.. The answer was yes, and basically to cover the municipalities butt if something happened.

So.. what are everyone's thoughts on the IBC definitions and has anyone had to deal with this ridiculousness on smaller projects? Has anyone found any kind of a loophole for small project signs that shouldn't involve engineers?

Rick

MrSigns

IBC sign codes

Our city has 2012 IBC codes.. so hopefully still helps. For your (sale) example that should be considered a temporary sign as per section H101.2

For other signs ground requiring support(s)
105.2 requires Permits, drawing and specifications. I don't find this to be to difficult as I already have renderings that i have provided to customers. The only thing i add is a foundation drawing with concrete specs, materials used for construction, power requirements if illuminated, etc. We are not required to have engineered stamped drawings. However for larger complex projects you may consider out sourcing to sign engineering services.

You can find simple spread sheets that calculate wind loads and foundations. I think i got my spread sheet from signweb.com I print the specs from the spread sheet and submit with the drawings to the engineer or building inspector. Pay the fee and unfortunately it is an added expense that has to passed to the customer or built into your pricing.
Feel fortunate as many municipalities have much more difficult sign codes.

letterman7

That's just the thing - all permanent signage must have an engineer stamp, windloads, etc, etc... You're right about the temporary sign section, however. In any case, a full set of stamped engineer plans will run my customer (and me, since I'll simply pass the cost) between $500 and $1200 additional, depending on the complexity of the project. I just think it's outrageous to have to do that for a small foam monument sign.

skyhigh

That's just the thing - all permanent signage must have an engineer stamp, windloads, etc, etc... You're right about the temporary sign section, however. In any case, a full set of stamped engineer plans will run my customer (and me, since I'll simply pass the cost) between $500 and $1200 additional, depending on the complexity of the project. I just think it's outrageous to have to do that for a small foam monument sign.

If you're paying that kinda cost, you should find a new engineer that specializes in sign projects. A ground sign shouldn't cost more than 150 for stamped drawings. That's a high figure!!!!

letterman7

Good point. Don't quite know how or where to start with that. Right now I'm going through a second party and using their engineer.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I know this is an old thread but,

I'm fairly certain the IBC requires engineering for structures over 6'. I have an old copy floating around here somewhere. Anything below that is up to the municipality. The lowest requirement I have ever worked with was 4' I know other states/municipalities require you to be under the frostline and they want that specified.

I use YJ Inc - they are licensed in every state
Sign Engineering- Monument, Blade, Pylon, Channel Letters

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
Unless this is very important to you, I'd run screaming.... Here in Texas, all of the towns around the Metroplex have their rules regarding 4x8's and 4x4's on posts, with most being refered to as free standing..... whether metal or wood frame.... no issues, turn in a site plan, a design, and pertinent info, owner and such, pay your fee, and get it done.
They will come around, after they they lose enough money and get enough complaints!
They have finally all switch to online apps here... saves a ton of money in fuel and time in running around.
Ask them to look at how others are doing it. Good luck!