• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Introducing Flexi Cloud - Join the beta!

Steph_Stamm

Hey Signs 101! SAi is pre-announcing the launch of Flexi Cloud!

• Quote new jobs in seconds
• Quickly access training videos and media profiles
• View job reports on mobile devices
• Windows 8 compatibility (along with 7 and Vista)
• Improved PDF transparency support
• Free for Flexi 10 users (through March '13)

If you'd like a sneak peek at the software, email beta@ThinkSAi.com to start playing with Flexi Cloud beta!

Steph_Stamm

It's a new version we're planning to release just after the new year. It will be the same design to production software you're used to, but will have new cloud-based features.

Drip Dry

I have version 10 now... although I don't use it because then it makes my version 8's not so compatible.

So, if it's free to me, and I started using version 10, what additional benefit
would I see moving to the cloud

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Is SAi going to push to a subscription model and eliminate standalone perpetual licenses and installations? I know it's the popular and trendy thing for software companies to do now and generally seems to coincide with a web based "cloud" release.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
I have been playing with the beta for the past couple of days. From what I see the biggest change is the fact that you can press a button within Flexi or Production Manager and it will automatically upload or download a file from their clould servers. The application itself is still installed locally and except for the cloud panel that is displayed on the right of both apps it looks and acts the same.

Steph_Stamm

Is SAi going to push to a subscription model and eliminate standalone perpetual licenses and installations? I know it's the popular and trendy thing for software companies to do now and generally seems to coincide with a web based "cloud" release.
As Chris at GRS mentioned, Flexi installs locally and the perpetual license is still the only way you can get Flexi. Out of curiosity - who (if anyone) here is interested in a subscription model?

FrankW

Cool Features:

PDF-Import
Support of Summas OPOS XY

Flexi now imports difficult PDF-Files too (e. g. plans exported from Vectorworks)

S11930

The cloud enables flexi to sell more of its products. They are now on the desk top. templates, wrap deigns, etc for you to purchase. What if you have all that. What additional benefits are there.

Steph_Stamm

Here are a few of the new things in Flexi Cloud:
- Windows 8 compatibility
- Improved PDF transparency (for CS6)
- Flexi Quote (job quoting tool)
- New printer drivers and profiles
- Mobile app with job reporting
- Step & Repeat textile tool

jhimes

Subscription

We would be interested in the subscription option if it was available. We use Adobe cloud or whatever it is called and really like it.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
...Out of curiosity - who (if anyone) here is interested in a subscription model?

Not particularly. Upgrades notwithstanding, I see little advantage in a subscription over a one time fee and a number of disadvantages.

Even though your software is hideously overpriced, as is often the case with niche market software, I'd still rather pay whatever and not have to deal with you except as absolutely necessary. Your product is mature, your investment has been or should have been recouped eons ago and the price should reflect that. It does not.

As far as the 'cloud', I see nothing there that I want or need. I'm making signs here, which activity requires simple software that does exactly what I tell when I tell it. No more no less.

SignosaurusRex

Not particularly. Upgrades notwithstanding, I see little advantage in a subscription over a one time fee and a number of disadvantages.

Even though your software is hideously overpriced, as is often the case with niche market software, I'd still rather pay whatever and not have to deal with you except as absolutely necessary. Your product is mature, your investment has been or should have been recouped eons ago and the price should reflect that. It does not.

As far as the 'cloud', I see nothing there that I want or need. I'm making signs here, which activity requires simple software that does exactly what I tell when I tell it. No more no less.

...for the most part, my sentiments as well.

mopar691

Flexi quote? is this new or similar to what is in there already? And the mobile app what does that entail?
I read the email that came out a few weeks ago but really did not learn much from it.

FrankW

Even though your software is hideously overpriced, as is often the case with niche market software ...

If the price is on a level which let people still pay instead of using a cheaper signmaking software, according to the laws of the market the software ist NOT overpriced.

Your product is mature, your investment has been or should have been recouped eons ago and the price should reflect that. It does not.

The current product is NOT the same as 1998 when a nearly complete re-development of the software is published as v6, there is a lot of work done since then. On the other hand, lots of third party modules are built in too where SAi have to pay themselves, for example the RIP-Engines (specially the Adobe CPSI was really expensive as far as I know).

It doesn't matter if the investment has recouped or not ... is the software is still competitive at it's current price, there is no good reason for reducing the price. A business company is not the red cross.

A standard software will not be designed to fit to just your needs. If you do not want to use it, you don't need to. You don't need to pay anything if your current version fits your needs, because you don't need to upgrade.

WildWestDesigns

If the price is on a level which let people still pay instead of using a cheaper signmaking software, according to the laws of the market the software ist NOT overpriced.

If the price is it's equilibrium price then that's true.

Even if they are above the equilibrium price, you'll still (in theory) have people that will pay for it, you just won't have that many.

Although, part of what Bob says here, is why I had a little trouble when he advocated in another thread to go for the gold when it came to software.

Yes, software like Corel (or Ai) with the proper plugins would probably get you to Point A to Point B, but how well is the question. I can tell you the plugins that I tried for embroidery do not do the same job as a dedicated niche software. It might fool a lot of people that don't know how it's supposed to look, but it doesn't produce a professional result. It will, however, get you to Point A to Point B. Not very efficiently though.

I did a calculation of what Flexi Sign Pro with the 2 add-on modules that they list for the program that I found and that puts "you" into entry level commercial embroidery software price range. So I would say, while it is higher then Corel or Ai with plugins, it's still cheap as far as niche software goes.

But that's all relative.

I've always approached this with regard to efficiency and what is the ROI for that efficiency for "your" business? Everyone is going to be different, with different needs, but that's what it boils down to.

Last edited:

jayhawksigns

As Chris at GRS mentioned, Flexi installs locally and the perpetual license is still the only way you can get Flexi. Out of curiosity - who (if anyone) here is interested in a subscription model?
Not here

The point in time that there isn't an option for an out right purchase option then we won't be Flexi users any longer.

Techman

Cloud Based Products? Not for me. No matter what its called. Online subscription is still an online product with all its negatives.
I tried the inline subscription with other products.

In my experience with online subscriptions has a big negative is... And I am sure most can guess is.. It will be just like having a mandatory tip added to your food bill. You may get a dish of food but the server will be far removed from the mental demands of doing a good job,,,

Steph_Stamm

Flexi quote? is this new or similar to what is in there already? And the mobile app what does that entail?
I read the email that came out a few weeks ago but really did not learn much from it.
It's a new job quoting app that has pre-populated materials and national average pricing. You can also add new materials, services, extras and adjust pricing however you wish.

The email that went out a few weeks ago was a teaser. We'll have more information in the coming weeks via email, website, brochures, etc. And of course I'm always happy to answer questions here!