• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iPad and iPhone tracking your every move.

Pat Whatley

...and for 99.999% of the population it won't effect life at all. For the other .001% it will be so minimally invasive that they'll never know the difference.

Too many people watch government conspiracy movies and believe everything they see. Trust me, you're just not that important.

WildWestDesigns

Well, hell, even those little plastic scanning cards that some of us sign up for to hopefully get discounts do the same thing. Keep track of everything and sell that info to 3rd parties that are interested.

mark galoob

just fyi..this ap has been available for the iphone for 3 years...ive known about it and discussed it with various customers on several occasions...ie...great for tracking wayword daughters...

mark galoob

Mainframe

just fyi..this ap has been available for the iphone for 3 years...ive known about it and discussed it with various customers on several occasions...ie...great for tracking wayword daughters...

mark galoob

Tracking daughters now THAT has my attention! Does anyone know if I had an iphone & my daughter had one would I be able to get an app to track her location? would it cost extra each month? just wondered if anyone knew

CES020

Tracking daughters now THAT has my attention! Does anyone know if I had an iphone & my daughter had one would I be able to get an app to track her location? would it cost extra each month? just wondered if anyone knew

Part of Apple's "MobileMe" service is the ability to locate your phone. You could sign up with her phone and then it would let you see where it was at any given time. The service is a paid service, but it's rumored to be going to free here very shortly.

I'm sure there are pure "tracking" packages for it, but I've not used anything other than the "Find my iphone" on the MobileMe service.

SignManiac

...and for 99.999% of the population it won't effect life at all. For the other .001% it will be so minimally invasive that they'll never know the difference.

Too many people watch government conspiracy movies and believe everything they see. Trust me, you're just not that important.

+1

Techman

Yes, it is benign today. But it wont be in the near future.
You walk into a store and they flash ads in yer face that fit your life style. You been to a topples bar and suddenly you see an ad for the mans club and your girl friend or wife or both see it. Anything that tracks your personal movements will be abused.
In Michigan the state police has way overstepped their authority and read your cell phones data base at traffic stops. Already one individual has been tested by this. He goes through a level 3 area to deliver goods and they accused him of being a drug Currier. Just because one may be paranoid doesn't meand they are not out to get him.

Joe Diaz

Apparently this isn't the same thing that you use to locate a missing or stolen phone, What this does is track your movements over a long period of time. The theory is so that apple can "build a cell tower and Wi-Fi access point location database". The main thing that people are upset about is that 1. they added this feature secretly and without your consent, and 2. while on your system the files are unencrypted and relatively easy to hack.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/225845/why_apple_tracks_you_via_iphone_its_not_why_you_think.html

CES020

They didn't add it, it's not new, it's been in there for a while now. It also transfers from phone to phone. So if you upgrade to a new phone, it takes the file with it. It's on the Ipad and the Droids as well. So google is doing the same thing here.

Joe Diaz

They didn't add it, it's not new, it's been in there for a while now. It also transfers from phone to phone. So if you upgrade to a new phone, it takes the file with it. It's on the Ipad and the Droids as well. So google is doing the same thing here.

They did add it, but no it's not new. Apparently after the upgrade to iOS4, the file is now saved in a different way however. "After the upgrade it changed its name to consolidated.db and its visibility changed so that it was easily acquired through simple forensic techniques."

Also, apparently Apple had changed its privacy policy to allow the company to collect and share your Apple device's location information. However according to them it is done so anonymously and doesn't personally identify you.

Honestly though, I don't see the big hubbub if it is only being used to help build tower and wifi infrastructure . But I can see how, in the wrong hands, it can be taken too far and becomes intrusive if we let it, but hell, people willingly give out way more information on facebook every day.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I think we are all being tracked in one way or another without our knowledge. You have to be far off the grid, and not use any technology not to be