• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iPad anyone?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Hmm .. only for the 3G .. interesting. Can I use my WiFi wireless at the house then?

Yes, that is how everyone is able to use it now since the 3G has not been released yet. The only advantage to 3g is using it outside of your home where wireless is not available

acothran

Am I missing something?

Eric spoke to this but you are missing the point that EVERY iPad has Wifi capabilities, just like your laptop. As long as there is Wifi, and you have access to it, you will have internet/email capabilities. The 3G version (which is not yet released) will still connect to wifi (like an iPhone) but will also allow you to purchase a 3G plan when needed.

I think the month-to-month data plan is a good idea vs. a year-long contract. I can see where most of the time I would just need the Wifi capability but might want to purchase the 3G when I travel. Another (in addition to my cell phone) data plan for $15 or $30 every month would not be cool.

Allen

Sticky Signs

I love Mac but the Ipad? really? what a piece of crapolla. Better than an Iphone with no phone or camera, but not as good as a laptop. Wow. there's a void I need to fill in my life.
The wife is really looking forward to the release of the Itampon. Now there's a product that can really fill the void!!!

Todd-sta

I want one bad too... but then today I read that there is widespread problems with the wifi hooking up to wireless networks.... there might be a worm in the Apple. I hope they get it fixed because I HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

CES020

still no flash. i cant even look at my website. what a horendous decision by apple.

Or maybe it's a horrible decision by Adobe to not get on board and make it work without draining the battery.

Apple's products are bypassing Flash and moving to HTML5, and many mainstream sources are porting their content out of flash into HTML5 now. So who's the idiot, Adobe for being so thickheaded that people came up with a better option that didn't use them, or Apple for sticking to their core and not making flash work at the expense of battery life?

I'd vote the losers in this one will be Adobe, not Apple.

With HTML5, Flash will slowly die in many areas it's used in now.

They've also sold about 500,000 of them in a few days. I guess according to many, this is just another useless device that no one will buy (just like the iphone they said would never succeed?).

tintguy31794

I don't want to pay for it... i have no use for it... if I had plenty of money to let loose of, then why not i gues.... but... I could think of a lot of people that I could help feed their family with that $500 spent on a "toy"

Grafix USA

I want one bad too... but then today I read that there is widespread problems with the wifi hooking up to wireless networks.... there might be a worm in the Apple. I hope they get it fixed because I HAVE TO HAVE ONE.

I have been using mine since Saturday and no problems with wifi connection. I'm guessing there are a lot of non-computer saavy people using them and they just don't know how to correctly connect with a secured network.

Here's is a quick review I posted on another forum:

->> I have had one since Saturday a.m. and really like it for my purposes.

I purchased it to use as a nice portable portfolio viewer and light weight access to my email and the web.

I can say that the screen is very sharp, crisp with good lighting. I have downloaded quite a few free apps to test it out including the Marvel Comics app to see how good the colors are. The colors and sharpness is really amazing.

View photos is a pretty nice experience as well. The transition from image to image is very fast and you can change from portrait to landscape with a simple turn of the unit. You can change images manually or set up as a slide show. For this purpose it is excllent.

A few things that I am also using it for that I hadn't really expected is to read newspapers from around the US. It is nice to be able to pull up local newspapers from areas I travel to or have lived. The USA Today app is very nice with the layout like their paper and its FREE.

I have downloaded the Kindle app and ordered 1 book from Amazon and it works great and has great contrast for easy reading. The iTunes books are nice as well, but they almost all cost more than on Amazon.

I am getting about 6-7 hours of actual usage on the battery, which is a little less than advertised but it could be dependent on the apps I am using, wifi, etc.

Video is smooth with great definition. I have tested Netflix and ABC videos and the definition is excellent with no lag or skipping.

This unit will not replace a powerful laptop, but for a lightweight "netbook", "Kindle" and photo viewer, all in one, it is excellent.

I am not an Apple guy, I use a PC but I have to say Apple has done well on this unit. It will improve and I'm sure have more features in the future (i.e. camera for conference calling, etc.) will come, but as a entry into the marketplace they have set the bar high. They have done what Apple generally does well and that is to introduce new devices into the marketplace with simple user interfaces and other companies will come along and improve them.

The price will have to come down in the future to make these more widely used, but if the money is not a concern I would say this is a buy. I have pre-oreder the 3G version and will hand my current wi-fi unit to my wife.

I hope that helps some.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Or maybe it's a horrible decision by Adobe to not get on board and make it work without draining the battery.

Apple's products are bypassing Flash and moving to HTML5, and many mainstream sources are porting their content out of flash into HTML5 now. So who's the idiot, Adobe for being so thickheaded that people came up with a better option that didn't use them, or Apple for sticking to their core and not making flash work at the expense of battery life?

I'd vote the losers in this one will be Adobe, not Apple.

With HTML5, Flash will slowly die in many areas it's used in now.

They've also sold about 500,000 of them in a few days. I guess according to many, this is just another useless device that no one will buy (just like the iphone they said would never succeed?).

I remember when everyone said Apple was stupid for not offering a floppy disk on the first imac

Many thought apple should not get into the music player business, or the music sales business or the phone business and thought they would fail

I think they know what they are doing

I don't own an ipad and don't have any need for version 1.0 My Macbook Pro does just fine. But I think it will succeed. If I could draw on it like an wacom tablet and it ran the same software as my laptop I will be in line

FatCat

I remember when everyone said Apple was stupid for not offering a floppy disk on the first imac

Many thought apple should not get into the music player business, or the music sales business or the phone business and thought they would fail

I think they know what they are doing

I don't own an ipad and don't have any need for version 1.0 My Macbook Pro does just fine. But I think it will succeed. If I could draw on it like an wacom tablet and it ran the same software as my laptop I will be in line

+1 :thumb:

animenick65

I thought it was just a glorified iPhone until I held one in my hands on Saturday at a Best Buy. The screen is nothing short of pure bliss. While I can't afford such a needless expenditure right now, I can certainly see how it would be nice to use one for entertainment in place of a laptop.

Only think I'd have to get used to or that I found weird was watching wide screen movies on it. Seems like the video is pretty small in wide screen mode compaired to the overall size of the device. It's proportions are odd, I'm assuming to make browsing and reading books easier.

Utah1

David covered it quite well. I have totally enjoyed mine. I hooked up to email ASAP, WiFi connections are a snap, and they nailed the book reader. If you have Kindle stock, sell it. Now that I have figured out how to download my Docs from the computer, I don't think I will be taking my laptop on business trips.

I can see this being a great customer presentation tool for anyone in the sign or graphics business. No, it is not a lap top, but it is everything you don't want to get your lap top out for. While watching TV, you can check email in a snap, go on the web, check the weather channel, or even reply to a forum like I am doing now. Or take it to a business meeting for notes, while being in touch. I watched Ironman on it the other night while the ol lady was watching some other TV program, and found it quite acceptable.

The lack of multi tasking is not that big of a deal. You can move from one app to another quite fast. They have already announced they will be upgrading the OS in June so it will multi task. I also think I will be getting the 3G one when it comes out. I have not had a problem findng a WiFi to hook up to, but I do travel to areas where it would be handy. You don't have to sign up for a plan, you can go from month to month. The 14.95 plan will provide you with all the data you need for a month. Remember, when you're at home, or at work, you will be on WiFi. Apple nailed it with the iPad...

Earl

tanneji

id hold out for the HP slate. It actually has SD card slots and usb ports without having to pay extra. the novelty! It also supposedly has a full featured OS were you can install things other than what Apple deems worthy. As you can tell, I'm not a fan of Apple. Especially after having an iPhone for 2 years and knowing that Apple thinks changeable backgrounds are too complicated for the average user.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Be nice if it came with something like a camera tripod - so you could go hands free when doing something important - like sitting on the toilet.

wayne k
guam usa