• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IPad. Is it worth it.

CES020

I think it's hilarious that apple people get called fanboys for liking their products, but the windows lovers can swear allegiance to anything PC related day and night and it's "perfectly logical" to them. Cracks me up!

If I love an apple, I'm a mindless robot that bought into the marketing, but if I love my PC, I'm brilliant and thrifty and don't fall for all those marketing ploys, while typing from a Windows7 PC :)

Cracks me up. Cracks me up even more that the PC Geeks don't think they are doing the exact same thing they detest so much.

cmaxdesigns

Those would be the expansion of something old that he was talking about.

I do believe Fujistu had a line of tablets before the iPad that were dual input(stylus and finger).

I think you did miss it. Joe's point(from my interpretation of it is) that Apple wasn't the first one out there (innovator), they took what was there and improved upon it(depending on your viewpoint of improvement). Now if PC companies did that, it would be called stealing or ripping off Apple. Apple does it and they are bringing products into a league of their own.

I had a Fujitsu tablet back in 2003 and no it was nothing like the Ipad. They ran on Window OS. It was just a computer that you could flip the screen around on and hide the keyboard and use a stylus to draw or type. Ipad does not have a physical keyboard is one piece, operates by touch only (unless you purchase the accessory keyboard) operates independently of a major desktop OS.

Apple has made a product that operates, looks, and feels different from any other products made previously. Again my argument was that motorola and google align their products with what Apple has already made. Apple does not look at a product and see how they can make it better they see how they can make it different and easy to use.

2972renfro

Didn't we just have a similar conversation a couple weeks ago?

Another thing that really does stand out are the Apple retail stores. Gateway used to have them, they failed. Dell has them, but no one gets too excited about those

Sure cool is not the only reason to buy a computer, phone, laptop, pad/slate but you cannot deny the hipness of apple products, real or perceived. Hasn't anyone here bought something not because it was performed better but rather on looks? Think about clothing, shoes, sunglasses, other electronics, cars, motorcycles, watches, etc. Apple is trying to go away from the appliance mentality of a computer

Everything they touch has turned to gold lately. Apple got smart. Though, they had a few turkeys in the 90's and early 00's. The cube did not do so well. And the dalmation/flower imacs were a bit odd. The very first OSX introduced 10 years ago had many issues

WildWestDesigns

I think it's hilarious that apple people get called fanboys for liking their products, but the windows lovers can swear allegiance to anything PC related day and night and it's "perfectly logical" to them. Cracks me up!

I won't swear allegiance to anything and everything PC, it depends on the exact situation that you are talking about. I try not to make blanket statements on either side of the fence. I've used both, I still have an iMAC that is next to the embroidery machine. Would I get another one, not unless they make some changes, but I doubt that they will make those changes as that would make them more like Windows instead of their own thing.

If I love an apple, I'm a mindless robot that bought into the marketing, but if I love my PC, I'm brilliant and thrifty and don't fall for all those marketing ploys, while typing from a Windows7 PC :)

I wouldn't say that at all without knowing the specifics. Being a fan(atic) on anything has it's pitfalls.

Cracks me up. Cracks me up even more that the PC Geeks don't think they are doing the exact same thing they detest so much.

I try not to do the same thing, but lord, I'm only human.

WildWestDesigns

I had a Fujitsu tablet back in 2003 and no it was nothing like the Ipad. They ran on Window OS. It was just a computer that you could flip the screen around on and hide the keyboard and use a stylus to draw or type. Ipad does not have a physical keyboard is one piece, operates by touch only (unless you purchase the accessory keyboard) operates independently of a major desktop OS.

You must not have had the dual input that was finger touch and/or stylus. It always has had a physical keyboard though. From my standpoint with as big of fingers that I have, I need that. I can't type worth crap on an iPad even in landscape view.

Also, in my instance, I would want a full OS, I would want to be able to run the same exact programs that I can on my desktop. That isn't for everyone, but from my standpoint that is what would be important to me.

Apple has made a product that operates, looks, and feels different from any other products made previously. Again my argument was that motorola and google align their products with what Apple has already made. Apple does not look at a product and see how they can make it better they see how they can make it different and easy to use.

Easier to use? Wouldn't that be making it better? Looks different would depend on what the individual person thinks is better. I have to tell you one thing though, I didn't find the iMAC that I have now easier to use compared to my PC. Neither did my dad as that was his iMAC before I got it. He was actually going to toss it, I took it because I couldn't stand the thought of that much money going to waste. I doubt my grandmother(who is 96) could fair very well with a MAC, but she does just find sending email or playing her bridge games on her cheapie Toshiba PC. I don't think Apple is quite as easy as lot of people seem to think that they are at this point. I'm usually fairly quick to catch onto things, but it took me quite a while to get used to that iMAC. But then again, what you are used to using for the longest time does make it a little hard to switch gears sometimes.

2972renfro said:
Sure cool is not the only reason to buy a computer, phone, laptop, pad/slate but you cannot deny the hipness of apple products, real or perceived. Hasn't anyone here bought something not because it was performed better but rather on looks? Think about clothing, shoes, sunglasses, other electronics, cars, motorcycles, watches, etc. Apple is trying to go away from the appliance mentality of a computer

Apple did do well with that mentality for the population as a whole.

Didn't we just have a similar conversation a couple weeks ago?

I think there were a couple of threads related to this a while back, even a post on Apple v. PC. I think this is going to be one of those timeless questions/debates.

CES020

I didn't find the iMAC that I have now easier to use compared to my PC. Neither did my dad as that was his iMAC before I got it.

Okay, I'll bite. So my parents (in their 70's) like their MacMini. They think it's easier to use than the PC's they've had since the 1980's.

So who's right? You? Me? That's my entire issue with this entire topic. I believe there is no "right or wrong". However, some firmly believe there is a right and wrong in this situation.

Your Dad hated it. My Dad loves it. Now what? My Dad can beat up your Dad? Is that what's next?

WildWestDesigns

However, some firmly believe there is a right and wrong in this situation.

No, there isn't. Each depends on the situation that you have before you, which might be different from your wife, brother, sister, next door neighbor etc.

Your Dad hated it. My Dad loves it. Now what? My Dad can beat up your Dad? Is that what's next?

I would like to see that. See if my dad lost any of his training that he had from Vietnam.

I do agree with you though. I think both sides have fine products and between the two you can find something to fit your application.

WildWestDesigns

Wow after watching that video I am neither impressed with the Cintiq nor that Asus. There seems to be alot of lag on the stylus touching the screen and the resulting brush stroke. I tried the same thing on PHotoshop and my intuous tablet has no lag whatsoever

Can anyone with a cintiq confirm this?

I forgot to answer this.

I have the Cinteq 21UX and I don't have any lag nor did I have lag on my Intuous 3. I did have a bluetooth Intuous 4, but that one never did work out for me. That was one that I did get burned on. bluetooth never worked right and my driver was constantly getting "dropped".

Joe Diaz

Look, I have no allegiance to any brand. I have owned apple products in the past. I've owned God knows how many different brands of mp3 players, desktops, laptops, phones... etc.. I'll try anything that is worth the price and has the features I want... apple products included.

But in my eyes a person is a Mac Fanboy when you can't see the forest for the trees. When you believe that everything Apple develops is the first of it's kind and everyone else are just copycats. One would also be a Dell/hp/Motorola/Microsoft(etc.) fanboy if he or she believed that Dell or hp or Motorola or Microsoft (etc.) invented everything.

I'm not an anything fanboy. I'm an anti Fanboy.... especially Apple Fanboys. They annoy the crap out of me and I can't help but call them out when they make some claim that is totally outside of the realm of reality.

signmeup

Hey genius, could a smart car transport a family of 7?? Or could it transport a boat that weighs 8,000 lbs.?? Different needs require different cars. Ipad and Motorola access virtually the same information and operate close to the same. Never said that there should not be multiple products to choose from but it is ridiculous how closely Google and Motorola have followed Apples lead. Yes I will be a fan of innovation. People should start calling Motorola and Google "China" for it replication of others products.
Yoor stoopid. (insert George Takei laugh here)

CES020

I would like to see that. See if my dad lost any of his training that he had from Vietnam.

I think I'll skip picking a fight for my elderly Dad. I hope your Dad can beat up my elderly Dad. He's 37 years military himself, but I think I'll skip picking fights for him. He's served his country and done his duty, so we'll leave him out.

I just think it's hilarious, that's all. People come on here and rant about "the machine" and then brag about "Google" products like they are fine. They rave about product after product after product, but God forbid anyone mention anything remotely positive about an Apple.

I think I know why your Dad didn't like his iMac. Because he's too smart to own an apple. Only stupid people buy Apple products. After all, they are ALL overpriced and they are ALL marginally user friendly. Stupid apple buyers. I hate 'em :tongue:

Joe Diaz

They should make a tablet that is even more slim and doesn't even require that much power or performance, that would be only a device used to remotely connect to your home or office computer, using the power and performance of it. They would need to develop this technology a bit more so there would be little lag between devices. You would want it to be as if that tablet you are using has all of the files and programs installed on it.

From this device you can use it to access all of your files and software and use your normal operating systems or use a tablet friendly OS that would have access to all the same files and would simply be installed onto your work or home computer (similar to how windows media center works.) I would also make sure that it has a wacom like digitizer that supports pressure sensitivity. Then since you aren't cramming all that hardware into a small device you would have an even slimmer device or room for other things. What about about a slide out tactile keyboard. bluray/dvd/cd burner... etc..

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
A screen cap of my iphone with vnc, showing my current desktop. You do have to zoom in to read your desktop though

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    84 KB · Views: 78