• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

iPhone coming to Verizon, No seriously

I'm waiting for Verizon to get the 4G network going and get some Droids for it before I upgrade. The Droid X blows away the Iphone and besides I already have an ipod, only difference between the ipod touch and the iphone is the ability to make phone calls.
If Blackberry doesn't get their act together the Droids will put them right out of business also.
Until they get the 4G going I will jus keep using my BB Storm.

WildWestDesigns

I'm waiting for Verizon to get the 4G network going and get some Droids for it before I upgrade. The Droid X blows away the iPhone

The ole ball and chain has a Droid X and it is better then the iPhone. She has two friends with the iPhone and the do like their iPhone, but she is sticking with the Droid X. And you are right, outside of making calls and taking pictures(or better pictures depending if they put cameras on the latest iTouches), there isn't much,if any, difference between a Touch and an iPhone.

FatCat

Being a long time Apple supporter I was holding out for the Verizon iPhone. However, after seeing how well the Droid phones and their software work I see no need. I just upgraded from a blackberry Tour to a Samsung Galaxy S 4 months ago. Honestly it is a night-and-day difference compared to my old blackberry in regards to speed and functionality.

CES020

I've played with the Droid a few times and what I do not like about it is it's not intuitive at all. There seems to be a total lack of control over parts of it that would be very helpful.

Their search feature for contacts simply sucks. Google "droid contact search" or whatever terms you'd use for that feature and you'll find 100's of sites, 1000's and 1000's of posts about people complaining about it.

If you have a phone and the contact list sorts like crap, what's the point? Shouldn't it do 2 things great- make calls, and manage contacts to call?

The iphone is far more intuitive to use. New iphones are coming shortly, so if you rush out and buy the verizon one in February, it'll be just in time for the announcement of the new iphone in June :)

WildWestDesigns

I've played with the Droid a few times and what I do not like about it is it's not intuitive at all. There seems to be a total lack of control over parts of it that would be very helpful.

Their search feature for contacts simply sucks. Google "droid contact search" or whatever terms you'd use for that feature and you'll find 100's of sites, 1000's and 1000's of posts about people complaining about it.

If you have a phone and the contact list sorts like crap, what's the point? Shouldn't it do 2 things great- make calls, and manage contacts to call?

The iphone is far more intuitive to use. New iphones are coming shortly, so if you rush out and buy the verizon one in February, it'll be just in time for the announcement of the new iphone in June :)

That is a new one on me. I haven't had a problem with the one that I have. Her phone is still new that she hasn't gotten all her contacts in there yet, but I don't do any of the searches either. I go to the people list and just look through it all by first later. I've always just done it that way. I'll have to try to do other things with the contact list and see how it fairs with doing that.

CES020

Yeah, it's an issue when you have hundreds of contacts in there.

If you are searching for Mike Wilson, and you start typing "Mi", then the first result could be "Mary Nicholes"

Huh? Oh, because there's a "M" and an "I" in the entire phrase. You should be able to isolate the search to the first name, last name, company name, etc. How Mary Nicholes comes up before "Mike Wilson" or "Manny Ingles" in a search string is beyond my logic, but that's not saying much.

Plus, on the recent calls list, the name is large, the number is small. Probably a 4 point font or less. If you get a call and you don't have the contact name in your list, then you get the "unknown" in large letters, the number really small. If you are driving (using handsfree of course), the numbers are so small you can't read them without spending more time then you should looking at the phone. There should be a way to make those number larger. All the font actions that are supposed to be across the entire phone, do not make those numbers large enough to read at a glance. Again, it's a phone, I should be able to SEE the NUMBER or change it so the number is large enough for my taste, not some programmer with perfect vision, looking at the numbers in a lab environment.

Just my opinion.

I wouldn't buy the first verizon Iphone that they put out anyway. From what I understand they were put out in a test market already and they are very very buggy.

As far as the contact list is concerned, I usually just type in the first letter anyway and then scroll to the name that I want to call.

As far as people complaining, there are complaints about every product out there. Typically the majority of people who take the time to go online and type out a review of something is because they are not happy with it. People who are happy with a product tend to just go on with life and not even think twice about it.
Look 7,160,000 results: http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=ca05a7bb65e82229

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I am babying my "IPhone killer" LG Dare, which is on the verge of breaking at any minute until the Verizon IPhone comes out... my wife have an Android, it's very nice but to me a little cumbersome.

weaselboogie

If you are searching for Mike Wilson, and you start typing "Mi", then the first result could be "Mary Nicholes"

I'm on the droid incredible. When I start typing "Mi", my only results are people who have "Mi" together in their name. "Mike, Michelle, Missy". My phone would not return a result like "Mary Nicholes" because the "Mi" are not beside each other.

Kevin-shopVOX

Yeah, it's an issue when you have hundreds of contacts in there.

Huh? Oh, because there's a "M" and an "I" in the entire phrase. You should be able to isolate the search to the first name, last name, company name, etc. How Mary Nicholes comes up before "Mike Wilson" or "Manny Ingles" in a search string is beyond my logic, but that's not saying much.

Plus, on the recent calls list, the name is large, the number is small. Probably a 4 point font or less. If you get a call and you don't have the contact name in your list, then you get the "unknown" in large letters, the number really small. If you are driving (using handsfree of course), the numbers are so small you can't read them without spending more time then you should looking at the phone. There should be a way to make those number larger. All the font actions that are supposed to be across the entire phone, do not make those numbers large enough to read at a glance. Again, it's a phone, I should be able to SEE the NUMBER or change it so the number is large enough for my taste, not some programmer with perfect vision, looking at the numbers in a lab environment.

Just my opinion.

The contact issue definitely depends on what GUI you are using FROYO has smaller numbers where as Sense does not. I haven't used Samsung's GUI yet but I here it is awesome. If you have hundreds of contacts I wouldn't want to scroll any way simply hit voice search say "call then your contact" and it will show up with call button next to it. I personally feel 2.2 does a great job with contacts especially the shortcuts to text, IM, email etc. Really sweet. I also think Android is really intuitive, but that might just be me as Google basically owns my A$$ i'm instantly integrated. Also remember that not all Android phones are created equal. It is still relevant to the hardware its running on. You have to compare apples to apples in terms of processing power, memory etc before you can compare the OS. Just wait for Honeycomb (thought its designed for tablets), to be released and see what it does to Apples holier than thou attitude. People won't even care because they will have so many options for solid mobile hardware they will be saying iWhat?

I think CES020 must have used a phone with an old version of the Android system. I have a Droid X and my search results are the same as weaselboogie.

CES020

It was a new Droid, new about 2 months ago, from Verizon. From my searching on it, it seemed to me (and I could be wrong) that it was more of a Verizon thing.

I think it's a nice device and very powerful. My statement about it not being as intuitive as the iphone stands. I still believe that.

Todd M Castle

I for one am glad Verizon is getting the Iphone. I'm on At&t and finally we are getting good phones other than the Iphone. Prior At&t just sat around and would not work on getting great phones, now they have too. At CES this year At&t shows off many amazing phones.

The Motorola Atrix will be my new phone, I can finally say goodbye to the iphone, now that At&t has something other than Iphone's, plus it can double as a Netbook *woot*

*Tegra 2 dual core processor
* 1 GB Ram
1930mah battery
and can dock into a laptop shell to make it a netbook, which if you look it up looks amazing.

buttons

I'm confused.... my iphone does this as well...

Pro Image

Ive got a Samsung Galaxy S like Fatcat.......Its has a larger screen than the Iphone and is just as slim or slimmer. The touch interface is way better than the Iphone also I have a Ipod 2nd Gen. and I cant type on its keyboard but have no problems on the Samsungs........Its the best phone I have EVER had......The only thing i dont like about it is the power cord plug in the top.......Im going to get one of the charging mats so thats not going to be a problem for much longer.......

Bigdawg

Just Me
Being a long time Apple supporter I was holding out for the Verizon iPhone. However, after seeing how well the Droid phones and their software work I see no need. I just upgraded from a blackberry Tour to a Samsung Galaxy S 4 months ago. Honestly it is a night-and-day difference compared to my old blackberry in regards to speed and functionality.

I have the Galaxy too... LOVE IT! and I don't have the searching contacts problem that was posted...

I was struggling with whether to get a new laptop or go for the high-end phone. Went with the phone and honestly - see little need for the new laptop now...

artsnletters

i'm happy it's coming out...i have 4 macs in my shop as well as a laptop and i think the ability to sync EVERYTHING will be a plus...i'm using some Samsung smartphone now on Verizon and its a PITA to connect and share data....
Tim