• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is dafont legal?

Flame

Hey, are websites like www.dafont.com legal or not? I'm sure Fred would know...

I wasn't sure. I know some clipart and logo sites are definatly not. Just curious about fonts.

neato

Yeah, it's legal. Just need to make sure you read carefully before you use a font for commercial purposes...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The true answer is yes and no.

Yes as to any fonts that are original and provided as either shareware or freeware. No if they are renamed clones of original copyrighted work ... but yes until such time as the true copyright owner challenges them.

Confused? Blame the US Trademark and Patent Court. (Yes, you've got me started now :rolleyes:).

In 1988, the court ruled that the latin alphabet is in the public domain and that no design of any alpha-numeric character was protected under patent law. The court further ruled that the only thing protectable was the trademarked name of a font.

From that ruling a new industry was born where all you had to do was to open a font in Fontographer, enter a new name, enter your own information under Copyright, regenerate the font and start selling it. The whole process takes less than two minutes. The PC Magazine Product of the Year in 1992 was a 120 font collection called Typecase from a company called Swfte (pronounce that one). They sold 7,000,000 copies at $59.00 each. Typecase was comprised of 120 renamed fonts from the Bitstream library.

Within a couple of years Bitstream declared Chapter 11 bankruptcy and as part of their reorganization sold unlimited lifetime rights to Corel Corporation for about 700 of their fonts for $1,000,000. Other type developers including URW, Letraset, Monotype, Berthold went under and were acquired by more diversified companies.

Finally, in 1998, Adobe Systems won a case against The Learning Company wherein the court upheld that any glyph (a vector alpha-numeric character in this case) was a mathematical formula and could therefore be protected. The Learning Company, publisher of KeyFonts Pro (under license from Southern Software) ended up paying Adobe $1,000,000 in damages and agreeing to never again market any product which competed with any product sold by Adobe.

So after 10 years of hell for the design foundries, there was finally a turnaround. But in the meantime, the internet had become viable and free font sites were a successful business model. Many of the original designers had left the business and it has and will continue to take many years for the current owners of the copyrights to find and challenge the giving away of their designs.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Who Cares! Use em up while you can.

What are you doing here anyway Che?

You obviously care little about professionalism or improving your profits through learning new things. Have you anything to contribute to the discussion of anything here other than cut corners and screw the customer?

I don't mean to be harsh but everything you post is either you taking insult at something someone says or you offering to sell freeware to people here or you saying cut corners instead of trying to do a better job.

mladams7259

I think Che is just another pissed of member trying to ruffle some feathers, or either a cheap, no good, wannbe signmaker who likes to steal from others. He also needs to learn correct english if he is going to post on this forum so his posts dont look like gibberish.

Che

Sorry fellows to burst your bubbles but i am not a wannabe or a angry person or any other thing you described. I am actually well regarded as one of the best designers on the west coast and use whatever means necesarry to advance my career. Its a doggy dog world and i am simply using the tools giving to me to do that. So dont hate on me cuase i have the balls to say, do, and take whatever i need or want.

slappy

i just assumed your a hacker/ juvenile dilquent something to that nature. Your post make me drop my mouth at times but i do laugh cause you come off gangster. Please enlighten me with some of your designs or layouts. Have you ever been featured in any of the sign magazines like some of the designers here (me not one of them) I have a few issues i could look to see if your in them?? i'd love to view one of the best you know?

ChiknNutz

Sorry fellows to burst your bubbles but i am not a wannabe or a angry person or any other thing you described. I am actually well regarded as one of the best designers on the west coast and use whatever means necesarry to advance my career. Its a doggy dog world and i am simply using the tools giving to me to do that. So dont hate on me cuase i have the balls to say, do, and take whatever i need or want.

That doesn't make it right. Just because you CAN do something, does not mean you SHOULD. I guess if you can ultimately live with yourself acting accordingly, so be it. Sadly, that seems to be one of the major shortcomings of the fallen world we live in.

mtmdesigns

funny..... you must be from san pedro...

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Che, I challenge you to post proof of what you claim as to your reputation as a designer. Since several of your posts here demonstrate a clear disdain for intellectual property and artist's rights, it seems highly doubtful, to me, that you would meet any reasonable definition of being a designer ... much less one held in high regard.

toddmn

So dont hate on me cuase i have the balls to say, do, and take whatever i need or want.

Thats a snappy slogan. Im bored at 11:30pm in front of the computer as you can see. Time for a Lennies applespice and maybe get something done. :beer

Attachments

• westcoast.jpg
    westcoast.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 272

ChiknNutz

Che, I challenge you to post proof of what you claim as to your reputation as a designer. Since several of your posts here demonstrate a clear disdain for intellectual property and artist's rights, it seems highly doubtful, to me, that you would meet any reasonable definition of being a designer ... much less one held in high regard.

Apparently this has struck a particular nerve? I normally don't see you get too fired up about what some of these jokers post.

Replicator

Usually Chi the word represents some balance . . .

but in this case it represents much ignorance and criminality !

I also await the highly regarded works of Chi . . . !

Geary

Naw Marc, this is a guy that aligns himself with Che Guevara or el Che, who was the Argentine-born Marxist revolutionary.