• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question is DOT acceptable or must be USDOT ?

petepaz

not sure what i screwed up but lettered a truck last week and when i ran the lettering i only put DOT# not USDOT#. trying to get an exact answer online and can't find anything but is just DOT# acceptable or does the law require it to be USDOT# ?

2B

We always specify what it is, Interstate vs Intrastate, otherwise the DPS will not know.

I don't know where our regulation manual is, but if memory serves it reads something like. markings must include the letters "USDOT," followed by the vehicle's identification number.

petepaz

thanks. i found a pic of one of their old trucks that i did not letter and it just had DOT so i am assuming i just copied what they already had and didn't notice it.

GB2

Old Member
US DOT Numbers for Interstate and Intrastate Vehicles, 49CFR 390.21
(2) The identification number issued by FMCSA to the motor carrier or intermodal equipment provider, preceded by the letters “USDOT.”