• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Is education the answer?

Would certified education add credibility to the signage industry?

• Extremely Likely

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Very Likely

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Slightly Likely

Votes: 15 26.3%
  • Not at all Likely

Votes: 19 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mrugen

It's worth it

TimToad and Gino, I agree in large measure with both of you. That's even more reason to try. The days of real allegiance feels like it is gone because we are flooded with news alerts. But I think there are still opportunities to show class as well as craftsmanship. I also think even those you mention can still appreciate it, even if they want it free.

I for one will not give in to the idea that creating a better industry is a lost cost. Yes, we need to put our money where our mouth is but also our energy. We must have a vision then formulate that into a mission and ultimately a reality.

I think it's worth it!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, but no, it ain't gonna happen. The days toad is talking about and emruven is talking about are gone........ long gone.

You guys and the OP here wanna talk about quality and work forces to be the envy of the world ?? Give me a break, it just ain't gonna work. We no longer know how to make a sign that will last more than 3 or 4 years outside. We don't have the tools or supplies to make things work. We've been stripped of everything good and given horrible replacements. No one makes anything with their hands except for a few. It's all automated, but everything has a built in obsolescence. What is missing is the integrity and craftsmanship of the pattern makers and true craftsman. Do you realize that nothing lasts like it used to ?? We are eliminating the history of today, by not creating it, but just texting it or making selfies. Nothing is here to stay, so why try to get all huffy about the American work place ?? The world does not appreciate it, nor do they wanna pay for it.

:wavingflag:

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We should lobby the feds to hire a guy to set up the framework for standards, certifications, testing, regulations & fines – have the government lock it down tight........

gruber.jpg

wayne k
guam usa

SignosaurusRex

"Education" ? ...Awesome...what a concept! HELL YES!

"Certifications" ? ...Grand idea, but they don't mean Sh*# to the end user ...especially nowadays!
Been there...done that...seen it...got the T-shirt, Union Card, Video, etc...burned it all and don't give a crap.
The cream will always rise to the top!

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
This problem is still relevant today. It seems to me that it all comes down to the quality of education. Too much theory and not enough practice. I have already noticed it myself, I recently finished training.
I must disagree. It's easy to teach someone how to do tasks or run a machine, that is the job of the employer. It's much harder to teach someone how to think which is the job of the school. With that being said, you can teach someone who knows how to think to do just about anything in a small amount of time. The ones who can not grasp the big picture end up being the employees that can do the same job for 10 years yet never actually learn how to do it. It's like every day is their first day. We all have or have had them.
To me, the ones that learned how but not why are the worst ones and most difficult to move forward with.

jochwat

Graphics Department
I must disagree. It's easy to teach someone how to do tasks or run a machine, that is the job of the employer. It's much harder to teach someone how to think which is the job of the school. With that being said, you can teach someone who knows how to think to do just about anything in a small amount of time. The ones who can not grasp the big picture end up being the employees that can do the same job for 10 years yet never actually learn how to do it. It's like every day is their first day. We all have or have had them.
To me, the ones that learned how but not why are the worst ones and most difficult to move forward with.
Who are you speaking of? The ones still using the same yellow pad of notes that they took down during their first week? Yeah, got one or two of those here... Not even familiar with the basics of Windows ("What do you mean, CONTROL SEE?"), but is "running" wide format printers.

Notarealsignguy

Who are you speaking of? The ones still using the same yellow pad of notes that they took down during their first week? Yeah, got one or two of those here... Not even familiar with the basics of Windows ("What do you mean, CONTROL SEE?"), but is "running" wide format printers.
Not everyone is smart, it's not like school can fix stupid but that seems to be people's expectation.

Notarealsignguy

How can this be fixed?
Adjust your expectations and realize that as an employer, you are going to have to train people. Find people's strong points and try to utilize them and cut the cord quickly for those that you feel are not trainable. You can't teach people how to think per se. I'm not contradicting myself, you can drag it out of some and schools do a good job of developing that but others are a losing battle. People haven't changed though, I think the employers have, especially now. We all set the bar high and are continually disappointed. You just have to work with the tools you have, literally.

Johnny Best

I am starting a sign education school. SignsThatUnitePeopleInDepartments,
Send me $15,000 to register. All classes will be remote learning. Covering the complete on how to start your business all the way through the process of billing, prices, sales and time left over to go on Signs101 to ask stupid questions.
Classes start in the fall.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Send me $15,000 to register. All classes will be remote learning. Covering the complete on how to start your business all the way through the process of billing, prices, sales and time left over to go on Signs101 to ask stupid questions.
Do you offer scholarships?

Notarealsignguy

I'm pretty sure my tuition will be covered by the fall.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sure glad I didn't ask that question.

I'm wanna set up the camera equipment. Since it's virtual, will nothing be done in 3D ?? I need to know, so I get the correct stuff. And what's all that crud on that old couch over there in the corner ?? Looks like a wombat threw up on it....... or something.